Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 03:50 AM

5 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Chicago and left one year after graduated from UIC (with a business degree) to pursue my career in the Bay Area. I worked in the Bay Area for 10 years from an analyst to a data analytics lead/application developer, then left to travel for 6 months, finally settled in Taipei, Taiwan for a few years. I am looking to move back to Chicago with my partner after being gone for so long and also to be close with the parents.

My question is, how is the job market for a mid-30 tech in Chicago? And I noticed that apartments' price are increasing dramatically since June 2021, do you think the rent will eventually come down a little bit? My budget for rent is $4,000 USD a month (for a 2 bedroom apartment in high rise in Gold Coast, River North, Old Town) I know I have a lot of options, but giving the space I get vs the price I pay today, I don't know if it is a good deal. And how do people find an apartments in Chicago these days? Via an agent, Craigslist, or other resources?

I guess after being gone for so long, I am a bit nervous moving back, despite missing the City so much (and the brutal winter).

Last edited by CaptureCoolThings; 05-06-2022 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 10:40 AM

12,851 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Hey there. I'm another California Asian that may be relocating to Chicago.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Its not the city it used to be sadly. The summers are still brutal though and winters hardly exist it seems anymore sadly

Old 05-07-2022, 08:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Yes. It is a very good city for mid-30's and tech. Chicago benefits from being the large regional office for many national/international firms. It's why the city has so many F-500 companies. All of those companies need tech.

Being that age, with a salary of $4,000/month to spend on rent, you can live comfortably in a really nice and fun neighborhood. All the usuals- West Loop, River North, Old Town, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc.

As you already know, you can just use google and all of the usual apartment websites will come up that you can used to search. The only reason anyone would use Craiglist is if they were budget-strapped. To pay a fee for an agent to find an apartment seems a little odd, unless you aren't familiar with the area at all.

When I moved here I was somewhat familiar with a few of the neighborhoods, but just googled about the various neighborhoods, and just used the regular apartment websites to find a place once I narrowed down a few neighborhoods. You have the advantage of being from here, so you should be really familiar and would likely be easy to find a place.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:57 PM

Cool. When is your moving day?

Old 05-09-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Hey there. I'm another California Asian that may be relocating to Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yes. It is a very good city for mid-30's and tech. Chicago benefits from being the large regional office for many national/international firms. It's why the city has so many F-500 companies. All of those companies need tech.

Being that age, with a salary of $4,000/month to spend on rent, you can live comfortably in a really nice and fun neighborhood. All the usuals- West Loop, River North, Old Town, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc.

As you already know, you can just use google and all of the usual apartment websites will come up that you can used to search. The only reason anyone would use Craiglist is if they were budget-strapped. To pay a fee for an agent to find an apartment seems a little odd, unless you aren't familiar with the area at all.

When I moved here I was somewhat familiar with a few of the neighborhoods, but just googled about the various neighborhoods, and just used the regular apartment websites to find a place once I narrowed down a few neighborhoods. You have the advantage of being from here, so you should be really familiar and would likely be easy to find a place.

Thanks for the info. I lived in the same apartment in San Francisco for 8 years (I am proud to say I was an excellent tenant), and we used only Craigslist over there in the Bay Area. Basically, in my whole life, i have never used a website to find an apartment before, that's why I am trying to get a feel of how people find apartment in Chicago these days. My finance and I we will be moving together, and we will be working 100% remotely, we would like to have nice view in the morning to look at before we start work.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Its not the city it used to be sadly. The summers are still brutal though and winters hardly exist it seems anymore sadly
To be honest, after living in sunny California and 2 seasons Asia, I really miss the brutal winter in Chicago... sigh.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:34 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times
Quote:
The older I get, the more I hate winters in the Midwest.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:40 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The older I get, the more I hate winters in the Midwest.
What winters? We hardly have real winters anymore

Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times
Quote:
What winters? We hardly have real winters anymore
We still have cold winters. I eventually want to relocate to a place that has milder winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: