Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
But I don't agree because it is very possible that not a one of them will be.

If they do become as such, then it will be because of choice, not because of cards against them.
Funny how not alot students from New Trier choose to join games but their CPS counterparts do.

Its somewhat foolish to not take socioeconomic conditions into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Funny how not alot students from New Trier choose to join games but their CPS counterparts do.

what games?? gangs maybe?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
what games?? gangs maybe?
fact.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
So ChiMack, what's your take on the situation? Surely you have some opinion on it seeing how you took the time to post about it...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
^Forget ChiMack. All I know is I knocked up 5% of the girls at Lane Tech in the four years I was there. Being that there are over 2000 girls attending there every year I would say 5% is a very impressive number. ^

Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post

I am not denying that there will be more opportunities to join gangs, because of course there will be. Plus there will be more pressure to join, and also gang life is more glorified in these areas, but in the end, it is still an individual choice. The socioeconomic conditions doesn't take away that choice, it just makes it a harder choice.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
The facts remain, (without me actually conducting the research but I'd be willing to be my house that I'm right) that most of the gang bangers, thugs, Cook County Jail residents, etc are born to unwed mothers (often teens) who drop out of school and have multiple children from mulitple men.

That's the 'Culture' that needs to be changed in the black community. If you don't see something wrong with that culture, then you're part of the problem.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
There are many gang members that come from traditional families, not just unwed teen mothers. There are also many that come from simular situations that you are describing, that never end up in jail, and never join gangs.These girls are still in school, havent dropped out. You don't know what is going to happen with these girls, or their children, you can speculate, but have no guarentee that you will be correct.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 AM

378 posts, read 1,289,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
That was so disrespectful....
There's also probably quite a bit of truth to it. Get off the moral high horse.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
There are many gang members that come from traditional families, not just unwed teen mothers. There are also many that come from simular situations that you are describing, that never end up in jail, and never join gangs.These girls are still in school, havent dropped out. You don't know what is going to happen with these girls, or their children, you can speculate, but have no guarentee that you will be correct.
Statistics and history would say otherwise.
Don't you believe that one of the major problems in the poor black community is the lack of emphasis on the traditional two parent, married, before having children?
Again, if you were to poll those incarcerated in Cook County Jail, a vast majority come from single parent households and many were probably born to teen mothers. There's an obvious and clear correlation between a lack of family structure/fatherly influence and kids getting in to trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago