Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
There's also probably quite a bit of truth to it. Get off the moral high horse.
No, get realistic my dude... If that was true then my cousin who is a Roberson Alum would have about three or four kids right now. Today at the age of 25 she has no kids.... Leave those stereotypes to yourself, notice that comment got deleted right?????

Ad I also might add, not a Roberson alum, but from the neighborhood, Derrick Rose (NBA superstar for the Chicago Bulls) Last I checked he wasnt a gangbanger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
No, get realistic my dude... If that was true then my cousin who is a Roberson Alum would have about three or four kids right now. Today at the age of 25 she has no kids.... Leave those stereotypes to yourself, notice that comment got deleted right?????

Ad I also might add, not a Roberson alum, but from the neighborhood, Derrick Rose (NBA superstar for the Chicago Bulls) Last I checked he wasnt a gangbanger....
Comments like this make it appear that you are turning a blind eye to the situation.

Person A made it out, therefore its not a big problem.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Comments like this make it appear that you are turning a blind eye to the situation.

Person A made it out, therefore its not a big problem.

Just my 2 cents...
No.... Thats not what I meant.... Do you know anybody from Englewood, do you know any students that ever went to Roberson???? I know first hand the problems that Englewood residents face, I used to live in Englewood. Telling these kids as one poster did that their babies is going to be nothing but more gangbangers and thugs is going to make them think thats all they can be.... If you want to rid the hood of this problem then give the kids hope... thank you..... As I stated before... There are residents of Englewood as well as students who went to Roberson that made it out, Im sure some come from single parent households too... Not every student is a gangbanger, and even if they are, there is a such thing as change....

Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
...Telling these kids as one poster did that their babies is going to be nothing but more gangbangers and thugs is going to make them think thats all they can be.... If you want to rid the hood of this problem then give the kids hope...
So you are saying the people in that neighborhood are so weak minded they can't create hope in their own community? They must rely on hope from others?

If that is true they have no hope. One cannot go through life expecting to be lifted out of the gutter. It is not possible. The gutter they live in is not a house or a street; it is their mind. They must lift themselves out of it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
No.... Thats not what I meant.... Do you know anybody from Englewood, do you know any students that ever went to Roberson???? I know first hand the problems that Englewood residents face, I used to live in Englewood. Telling these kids as one poster did that their babies is going to be nothing but more gangbangers and thugs is going to make them think thats all they can be.... If you want to rid the hood of this problem then give the kids hope... thank you..... As I stated before... There are residents of Englewood as well as students who went to Roberson that made it out, Im sure some come from single parent households too... Not every student is a gangbanger, and even if they are, there is a such thing as change....
You are taking exception to things that were never said.

Nobody said every student is a gang banger.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
You are taking exception to things that were never said.

Nobody said every student is a gang banger.
Actually they did, but that comment got deleted... I was actually responding to that comment earlier and my comment actually got deleted as well....

Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Actually they did, but that comment got deleted... I was actually responding to that comment earlier and my comment actually got deleted as well....
It said "all these students are gangbangers?"

Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,891 times
NPR did a segment on Roberson a few months back. One of the teachers interviewed said that one of her straight A students that was ranked in the top 5 of her graduating class called her crying after her first semester in college stating that she felt like an idiot. Apparently the girl was in tears because she was struggling to get D's.

That should tell you what these kids are up against.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
...That should tell you what these kids are up against.
No, that could tell you about the low standards of grading at many CPS schools. But more than likely, all it should tell you is that the student got accepted to a college or university that was way out of her league.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So you are saying the people in that neighborhood are so weak minded they can't create hope in their own community? They must rely on hope from others?

If that is true they have no hope. One cannot go through life expecting to be lifted out of the gutter. It is not possible. The gutter they live in is not a house or a street; it is their mind. They must lift themselves out of it.
Example, if your a basketball player that doesnt have the height or skills as other top tier players do and your goal is to play basketball, but numerous people tell you that you can't make it and although the odds are against you you keep fighting anyway. However, the odds are against you and people from every direction keep telling you that your nothing but a bench warmer and you'll never make it as a basketball player. Although in your mind you know you can, but unfortunately you have your doubts because again the odds are against you.... The more you hear the same thing and the more the odds stay against you, the more you might think, crap I dont have what it takes, but if one person says forget what people tell you, Spud Webb or Dwyane Wade made it then you can make it too.... That one person might make you think differently.... And who knows, you might one day grace the floor of as an NBA player....

It doesnt matter where that inspiration comes from, but as long as these kids hear it, it can only help... All Im trying to say is not every person born from a single mother who happens to be a high school student will become a gangbanger like one person stated... That is nothing, but negativity that students at Roberson and residents of Englewood, dont need. I get upset when I hear things like that, but someone else from Englewood might say "what else is new?? tell me something I dont know..." So I tell the kids I used to work with that they can be anything they want to be....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago