Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
Surely you're referring to these commute times by CTA, right? I imagine that automobile traffic could make it a tougher commute at peak times, but it can't be almost an hour. For a similar reference, I timed NEIU to Bridgeport (or, where the Ryan and Stevenson meet) at least 3 times, and it was only 25 minutes. And, that was sitting in the circle for a bit.
I meant by taking the red line to the blue line. I would think a 20 year old college student on a relatively tight budget should kick their car to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
I agree that Edgewater and Rogers Park are too far away to make sense, but that's just me.

I also think it's too soon to start looking for an apartment for summer of 2010; most people have no idea whether or not their tenants are staying or leaving yet.

There are tons of apartment services out there, but you can also enlist the help of a Realtor. Realtors (like apartment services) are paid by the landlord, and they can be a big help, especially if you find one that is knowledgeable about the neighborhood that you prefer.

It depends on how hard you want to look and how much time you want to put into your search... If you want to keep it simple I'd use 1 or 2 apartment services and a Realtor and then go with the place that you like best. Let the services work for you and narrow the scope of the search based on your preferences... that's what they're there for.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:42 PM

440 posts, read 1,503,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn89 View Post
I'm 20 years old and will be making the big move to Chicago in January to attend UIC. I've lived in a town of about 20,000 for the last fifteen years, so this is going to be a pretty big adjustment for me. I plan on living in student housing for the spring semester of this year, but my girlfriend and I are looking at apartments for the summer of 2010 onward. There are tons of sites out there with different listings, and I'm starting to feel more than just a little overwhelmed.

We're trying to stay under $900 for a 1BR, and have looked at neighborhoods like Edgewater and Rogers Park. (visited both and liked them a lot) Can anyone here help us out by suggesting neighborhoods, websites with listings, or properties? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

br
As someone who lives probably 200 feet from the UIC campus and has been treking up to Edgewater twice a week all summer, I think you are nuts to be even considering Edgewater or Rogers Park.

Somebody said an hour commute? No way! An hour is the theoretical time, which, when you add in the uncertainties of the CTA, means you will have to budget 1:15 to 1:30 to reliably be at your classes on time.

Secondly, the upper lakefront is raunchy. Not dangerous, necessarily, but raunchy. Unless you are used to urban situations including bums, panhandlers, and assorted lowlifes hanging around on the street corner, you will probably find it uncomfortable, at least until you learn to distinguish the harmful from the harmless. Seriously, coming home to University Village from Uptown or Rogers Park feels like coming home to a suburb.

Your best bet is to save yourself the aggravation of the commute and look near UIC, and since you will be in the dorms for one semester, you will have every opportunity to acquaint yourself with the area, as well as other adjacent areas like West Town, Bridgeport, and East Pilsen, where you should be able to find housing in your price range.

Your best source of housing information will be from your fellow UIC students, far better than any advice you will get around here.

Best of Luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Someone must have property to sell or rent.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
I should warn you there is a bias towards using public transit on this board. A car in Chicago can be heaven or it can be hell. If you bring one you need to make sure there is somewhere to park where you live and somewhere to park where you go to school. When I was young I went to CSU. Hauling big heavy college books via public transit is not fun (granted I lived 1:30 away by el). It was much easier when I got a car. Plus I was able to zip around town much quicker.

That being said, I didn't have parking issues where I lived and there are where mild parking issues at CSU (i.e. not enough lot space at the start of the semester until enough people dropped classes). If you do drive, you will be doing a lot of walking around UIC because that area has parking issues.
Also a lot of the hip safe 20 something areas in the city have parking problems (Lincoln park\Buck town) have a lack of parking. Otherwise driving might be ok.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Someone must have property to sell or rent.
Yeah, I do, actually, in Lincoln Park and River North. You looking?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 10,693 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm planning on leaving my car down here, since I don't plan on going anywhere the CTA/Metra/Amtrak won't take me. I'm already pretty familiar with the stops, as I've been in the city every other weekend for one reason or another. (My girlfriend goes to CCC right now)

Now, I've heard that the neighborhoods surrounding UIC can be a little shady. Is that the kind of place you'd want to live?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn89 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm planning on leaving my car down here, since I don't plan on going anywhere the CTA/Metra/Amtrak won't take me. I'm already pretty familiar with the stops, as I've been in the city every other weekend for one reason or another. (My girlfriend goes to CCC right now)

Now, I've heard that the neighborhoods surrounding UIC can be a little shady. Is that the kind of place you'd want to live?
The neighborhoods surrounding UIC are an order of magnitude classier, laid back, lower crime, and generally more civilized than the upper lakefront, and many of the other parts of the North Side. That may not have been the not the case ten years ago, but it is the case today.

Your best bet is to ignore the idiots on this board (including me). You will find out for yourself when you get to UIC, and if you ask the kids who are actually LIVING on Taylor Street and 18th Street they will give you get honest answers based on real experience about cost, crime, quality of life, etc. The people who post here are, for the most part, still living in the Chicago of the late 80's and 90's.

Last edited by NearWestSider; 11-10-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Hahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago