Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,609,325 times

Advertisements

The "bridge cable" thing is true. I was at a trade show and this thing was just amazing: ABUS GRANIT X - PLUS 1050 - $142.21USD (http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products _id=30257 - broken link)

You can't use any torque or leverage attack against it, normal cutting tools would take hours to get through it, even a grinder is going to result in random shrapnel from the fine wires nearly killing any potential theif...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM

2,508 posts, read 3,564,984 times
I've had a seat stolen despite a seat leash, but never had one stolen with a simple allen-wrench seatpost collar. Anything on a quick release is begging to get stolen.

Rear wheels are considerably pricier than fronts, so contrary to the usual "look" I'd U-lock the rear wheel/frame to the rack and use the cable to secure the front wheel.

Do take your lights with you when you lock up -- not only will they not get stolen, but you'll have a flashlight on you at all times. (Surprisingly handy!)

Make sure that you list your bike on your renter's/homeowners' insurance, and have photos of you with the bike around in case of theft. Also, register your bike with the Chicago police department.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM

367 posts, read 920,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The "bridge cable" thing is true. I was at a trade show and this thing was just amazing: ABUS GRANIT X - PLUS 1050 - $142.21USD (http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products _id=30257 - broken link)

You can't use any torque or leverage attack against it, normal cutting tools would take hours to get through it, even a grinder is going to result in random shrapnel from the fine wires nearly killing any potential theif...

Wow. Now I want one of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: