Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,678 times

Advertisements

Hello

I recently accepted a job and will be working in the Lincoln Park area. From what I have read here many of the people who relocate to this area are recent college grads. I am not. I would love your thoughts on neighborhoods that would allow me to enjoy the diversity (age, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation, specifically) of a large city; the sounds of nature through open windows as opposed to spillover bar conversation or violence of any kind.
Additionally, I would like to be able to walk a portion of my commute to work, that is, take public transportation, if I must, and walk up to two miles. Walking the whole two miles would be great--- but in which direction. All I know right now is I won't be coming from the east on that walk! I would like to feel I am in a neighborhood and have it be one with a strong identity and activities, shops, events. I don't want to feel outnumbered by strollers, scooters, backpacks or BMWS

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM

258 posts, read 760,343 times
There are many quiet side streets in Lakeview or even the Lincoln Park neighborhood that would be an easy walk from your work location. Although some parts of Lincoln Park and Lakeview (especially along the eastern edge) do have recent college grads, they just can't afford the larger units or the rehabbed single-family houses in that part of the city.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I don't believe you will want to walk 2 miles in Chicago winters. One of the nice diverse areas in Chicago is Oak Park. here are two links. One is virtual tours of the types of rentals that are available from this non-profit housing center. Click Sample Apartments. These folks should be able to help you with the essentials like transportation and utilities and perhaps offer some guidance. It is a quaint and unique village with a disarable address. It is not utopia, it has some sketchy areas, too. Click on all the links on both, and the pictures in the first link for a better idea of the area. If you like mature trees, beautiful architecture you whould feel at home.

I have not lived in Chicago for a number of years. I don't know if this area will fit your needs, but it offers a mix of what you are looking for.
Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois
Oak Park Regional Housing Center

Welcome to your new home.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
One of the nice diverse areas in Chicago is Oak Park.
I was going to suggest Oak Park also. I'll be turning 50 myself next year, and although I've lived in Lakeview since I moved to Chicago 15 years ago, I'm thinking Oak Park might be a nice place to live as I get older -- still urban, but a somewhat slower-paced and quieter scene.

I recently tracked down three of my former classmates via Facebook, all of whom relocated to the Chicago area like I did (we're all native Clevelanders), and all three of them live in Oak Park and like it. Small world, it seems sometimes.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Perhaps River North or the Gold Coast. It tends to be a more professional group of all ages. Of course, you will be living in a large apartment complex, but literally right in the heart of everything downtown has to offer.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 AM

27 posts, read 110,742 times
Lincoln Park is pretty big, and the fact that is is affluent means even the younger crowd is better behaved. Oak Park is nice, but you have to go via the West side to get from Central Chicago to there and that ain't pretty. Oak Park, like Evanston is way overpriced for what you get. If you want to live in Oak Park you might as well go further out and get more for you buck. Oak Park is just another suburb really. A nice one but still just a suburb.

Old Town is a nice area right north of the Gold Coast and south of Lincoln Park (well basically).

Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
I don't see the point in working in LP and living in OP unless you have school-aged kids.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM

367 posts, read 917,860 times
I think LP,Lakeview,Old Town may be just what the OP is looking for. Just rent a place for a year till you get to know the area. After that you will have a good idea of where you want to be and what works for you. I can think of much worse places to be stuck in for a year if it's not your thing.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,678 times
thanks, everyone. I think renting for a year is a good idea, but a year can be a very long time if even that temporary place is a painful misfit.
I have no dependents and don't want to live where I work so I will keep researching the many options Chicago has to offer.
Thanks, again.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 PM

90 posts, read 321,933 times
Check out University Village (scroll down). Extremely walkable.

University Village Real Estate | Chicago Neighborhood Information for University Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago