Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to see a Cub-Sox game. Either park would work for me, although I know my chances at the Cell are better than Wrigley.

Here's my question:

since this season is arguably the worst in the fortune of both teams since interleague play began, what are my chances of picking up 3 tickets to one of the games, how would I go about it, and would the prices likely be less on resale?

I've never really bought a ticket other than through advanced sales or at the gate, so I know nothing about how to do so.

What are my chances of picking them up...and somewhat reasonably at that.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I've never attended a ball game in Chicago. It seems to me an afternoon game during the week would be easier and cheaper than any weekend game. It seems like attendance is always lower then.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Tickets to Sox games are generally easy to get through their box office - the vast majority of games don't sell out. You can get tickets to Cubs games in a number of ways - ticket agencies by Wrigley ($$$$), Stub Hub (haven't used it myself, but some friends use it regularly), and Craigslist. I've done Craigslist a few times and have bought tickets at face value from season ticket holders. For the majority of Cubs games I get them from my office manager for free - I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Cubs tickets get sold to companies.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
I really made this one unclear.

I'm a life long Chicagoan and I've been to plenty of Cub and Sox games. What I should have said is I always wanted to go to a "Cub vs. Sox" game. I actually had been to one of the old exhibition games they used to play midseason before interleague scheduling began.

My thought was that this has been such a downer season on both the North and South sides that the interest, though great, may be less than normal with more chances the crosstown series might have some seats. I realize that the 3 games at Wrigley would not be at play since the place pretty much sells out no matter who the competition is. You could count on every seat being filled for any rivalry game there, be it the Cards, Brewers, or Sox.

But the Cell might have more options, being bigger and all for one of those three games.

Thanks for the help so far and I appologize I didn't make myself clear. Any thoughts on my ability to get a Sox at Cubs (very unlikely) or Cubs at Sox tickets? And how to do so?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've never attended a ball game in Chicago. It seems to me an afternoon game during the week would be easier and cheaper than any weekend game. It seems like attendance is always lower then.
I agree with this. during the week is a better chance.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Thanks for the help so far and I appologize I didn't make myself clear. Any thoughts on my ability to get a Sox at Cubs (very unlikely) or Cubs at Sox tickets? And how to do so?
Gotcha. It is easy to get tickets to the Sox/Cubs games - it just costs a lot of money. Any ticket broker should have tickets available if you're willing to pay a lot for them. I'd avoid Craigslist for any high priced tickets, it's fine for picking up a few $45 tickets at face value but there are scams out there when the ticket price gets into the hundreds of dollars. Other than picking up tickets on the day they go on sale (which means waiting in line or spending an entire morning online) you just need to pay a lot.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
Is it ever possible to show up near game time at Wrigley and find someone with an extra ticket? Do they get cheaper once the game starts?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
^ Of course. ^

Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
From my experience, one should expect to pay quite a bit over face value for a crosstown classic game.

I've been to many over the years, but it seems like prices for tickets have gotten ridiculous in the past couple of years. Those games are sold out at the box office quickly, leaving somebody to third party vendors or craigslist if they want tickets. If you're daring enough, you can wait until a few hours before the game to scour CL for tickets. This is how I buy tickets for the Sox; I've scored unbelievable tickets for 10 bucks or less on numerous occasions.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 AM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
Well, what are the mechanics of doing it? How do you determine who wants to sell a ticket? Will either of us get busted over the transaction? How late after the game starts are tickets still being sold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: