Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,423 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are moving to Chicago in July and are looking for some advice on neighborhoods. He will be a graduate student at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and I am a new graduate nurse. I have not yet found a job to know what hospital I will be working at, but we would like to be as close to downtown and UIC as possible. We would like to find a safe neighborhood, 2 bedroom apartment, easy and less than 30 minute commute to downtown, and rent not much more than $1200. Do you have any suggestions for neighborhoods?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,307 times
Hi there.
The second thread in this Chicago forum, "Read this...", has a lot of useful info for newcomers regarding neighborhoods, etc. You may want to check it out if you haven't already.

Personally, I don't care for the areas surrounding UIC and think you are wise to be open to living within 30 minutes of downtown. Not sure if you meant 30 minutes from UIC? Or the Loop? Since you don't have a job you may just mean you are planning to work downtown if possible.

I am most familiar with the northside along the Lake and my favorite neighborhood is Lakeview. You can get a 2 br for 1200.00 (barely). You could also check out Wicker Park and Bucktown which are more inland but not so far from UIC/the Loop. All depends on whether you all are planning to commute by automobile or public as that would need to be factored in (including garage costs in many cases).

You could also live in Oak Park (a cool suburb immediately west of Chicago and close to UIC). However, hard to figure all of this out until you know at which hospital you will be working.

Good luck to you and I am sure others on this forum will give you some input.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 49,894 times
^Good recommendations.

I would agree that the area around UIC is not very lively or attractive. I would recommend Wicker Park/Bucktown because it would be easy to commute on the blue line from there to UIC (maybe a 30 minute ride at most).

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM

40 posts, read 65,759 times
agree with Wicker Park

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,423 times
Thanks for your suggestions!! We will definitely have to check out these areas, we will be making 2 trips to the city this month.

I think we are hoping to be less than 30 min from UIC, since we don't know where I will be working yet.

Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,169,823 times
ukrainian village, smith park area, west town, east village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: