Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:58 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times

Advertisements

In 1 Corinthians 14:4 it reads..........

The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.........

Since both accomplishes the same outcome in terms of edification and strengthening, I take this to mean when a person truly speaks a mysterious language by the Spirit of God, they are essentially prophesying. I also say this because Paul says if someone speaks in a tongue in church and someone interprets, the church will then be edified by the word spoken in a tongue as they now understand. (Which is what prophesying accomplishes) Paul said he spoke with tongues all the time, even thanking God he did it. Only when he was in church, he would rather prophesy, so the whole church could be built up.

What are your thoughts on this? Are they essentially one in the same, with prophesying having a wider impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 10:13 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
The scripture is very simple and plain. Speaking in tongues was advantageous the person doing it. Someone prophesying - back in the day, when they could get it right - was much stronger, and helped others and the ministry.

Like many changes with matters though over time, these scriptures don't hold up to modern times (one of downfalls of Paul's teachings). Jesus' teachings on the other hand were of greater permanence and relevancy.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:27 AM

10,426 posts, read 6,954,235 times
No.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The scripture is very simple and plain. Speaking in tongues was advantageous the person doing it. Someone prophesying - back in the day, when they could get it right - was much stronger, and helped others and the ministry.

Like many changes with matters though over time, these scriptures don't hold up to modern times (one of downfalls of Paul's teachings). Jesus' teachings on the other hand were of greater permanence and relevancy.

Jesus said concerning His teachings that there were many things He wished to talk to His disciples, but they couldn't bear them then. However, what He taught them would be expounded upon once the Holy Spirit came to them. Its during this period where Paul and the apostles taught.

If uttering mysteries in the Spirit builds a believer up, and prophesying builds up the church, the only difference between the two is interpretation and understanding.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:41 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
My understanding is that 'tongues' was a temporary spiritual gift and ceased after the time of the apostles. People who claim or think they are speaking in tongues today are simply speaking gibberish in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:55 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
My understanding is that 'tongues' was a temporary spiritual gift and ceased after the time of the apostles. People who claim or think they are speaking in tongues today are simply speaking gibberish in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:59 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hey! We agree on something.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Yup.

I've never seen an authentic expression of tongues. If they are used in church, an interpreter is REQUIRED. And it's an actual language.

Now, that said...my pastor does not speak Spanish. We have a growing population of Spanish speakers in our town, some have and do come to our church. If he were to start preaching in Spanish, God could make that happen.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 PM

If you think about it, all languages are gibberish to the one who doesn't understand. If God caused me to speak Swahili, even though it is a "known" language, yall would probably call it gibberish and utter nonsense. I would be careful to putting this label to tongues. You wouldn't know the difference it it were legit or someone making something up. With that said, there are many human languages that are extinct. There are many human languages spoken today, that wasn't around thousands of years ago. Even the English language we are typing with on this forum is only 1500 years old. Ultimately, all language is, is communication. If I invented a language and we agreed "Oomph" means up and "Urrgh" means down, then we are in communication. We have a new language.

All that said, if language is simply communication, who is to say someone speaking an unknown tongue is speaking gibberish? Paul said they are uttering mysteries. They mean something to God if indeed God inspired them to speak. I would argue what a person is saying in tongues, is the equivalent of prophesying and/or giving God praise.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Hey! We agree on something.
We agree on many things, Michael.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity