Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 08:17 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Jesus didn’t just die for us. He suffered for us. Why? What was the point of Him suffering? Wasn’t it so we wouldn’t have to suffer? Didn’t Jesus pay the price by suffering in our place?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 12:55 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Jesus didn’t just die for us. He suffered for us. Why? What was the point of Him suffering? Wasn’t it so we wouldn’t have to suffer? Didn’t Jesus pay the price by suffering in our place?

Your thoughts?
Sorry about the length of this post, I just want to put down all that comes to me related to this (I know it is a bit disjointed and over the place but that is just a part of how I process things)

He said to his disciples they would need to pick up their cross and follow him so no he didn’t suffer so we wouldn’t have to suffer

It was more about so we can overcome when we are tested, but the testing is relative to our own estate so to speak

His death was about the societal restoration of the balance that was broken in the beginning with Adam/Eve/serpent

In romans 8:12-17 there is reference to suffering with Him to mortify the deeds of the body

And in Galatians the deeds of the body/flesh are all the things that do not conform with His Spirit Galatians 5:16-26

That body and flesh isn’t in reference to our individual/external form that we all see, and it’s not our behaviours as such, it is about our soul which is where our intentions and motivations (good and evil) reside in our innate consciousness, and the side that is to be overcome is the one that is counter to God who is Spirit - the one which errs toward the dark/evil

The end goal is societies and organisations of humans who are not over-reactive, greedy, idolatrous, uncaring, proud, as they can not be trusted with the administration of earth …. We individually and collectively need to work through the reasons for our reactions not just ignore them and suppress them

Religion itself is about Human Resources having height, depth, breadth and Christianity and church has the same structure to it, and has a defined period/age relative to its own administration (2000 years/2 Days)

What was designed to happen was to contain all of the different types of people within their own types of organisations and systems (the sects) that suited their type, and this is where reform and judgement happens for them, and also to allow them to work on what they need to overcome and that is where there is ‘the switch’ in positions and places between rich/poor and us being able to have internal peace whether we are rich or poor - there has been a succession of generational religious developments which have trajectory it seems to me

The proud are humbled, the humble are raised

Last edited by Meerkat2; 03-23-2024 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2024, 04:56 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Sorry about the length of this post, I just want to put down all that comes to me related to this (I know it is a bit disjointed and over the place but that is just a part of how I process things)

He said to his disciples they would need to pick up their cross and follow him so no he didn’t suffer so we wouldn’t have to suffer

It was more about so we can overcome when we are tested, but the testing is relative to our own estate so to speak.

His death was about the societal restoration of the balance that was broken in the beginning with Adam/Eve/serpent

In romans 8:12-17 there is reference to suffering with Him to mortify the deeds of the body

And in Galatians the deeds of the body/flesh are all the things that do not conform with His Spirit Galatians 5:16-26

That body and flesh isn’t in reference to our individual/external form that we all see, and it’s not our behaviours as such, it is about our soul which is where our intentions and motivations (good and evil) reside in our innate consciousness, and the side that is to be overcome is the one that is counter to God who is Spirit - the one which errs toward the dark/evil

The end goal is societies and organisations of humans who are not over-reactive, greedy, idolatrous, uncaring, proud, as they can not be trusted with the administration of earth …. We individually and collectively need to work through the reasons for our reactions not just ignore them and suppress them

Religion itself is about Human Resources having height, depth, breadth and Christianity and church has the same structure to it, and has a defined period/age relative to its own administration (2000 years/2 Days)

What was designed to happen was to contain all of the different types of people within their own types of organisations and systems (the sects) that suited their type, and this is where reform and judgement happens for them, and also to allow them to work on what they need to overcome and that is where there is ‘the switch’ in positions and places between rich/poor and us being able to have internal peace whether we are rich or poor - there has been a succession of generational religious developments which have trajectory it seems to me

The proud are humbled, the humble are raised
The scapegoat version is very "ear-tickling," Meerkat. It is particularly effective in a religion that promotes guilt, fear, and self-loathing ("filthy rags"). Your organizational, societal, and institutional understanding still escapes me, but from an individual perspective, your insights are right on! Our task is to become as much like Jesus as possible and act out of agape love during the vicissitudes and tribulations of this life.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:18 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
The Father punished the Son, for our sins, that we might be saved. Psalm 22:14-18, Luke 9:22, Matt. 27:46, Isaiah 52:14, 1 John 2:2

Old 03-23-2024, 05:47 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
The Father punished the Son, for our sins, that we might be saved. Psalm 22:14-18, Luke 9:22, Matt. 27:46, Isaiah 52:14, 1 John 2:2
Not my God! The God revealed and demonstrated by Jesus would NEVER do such a thing for ANY reason! Our ancestors, however, were savage and brutal enough!

Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 PM

68 posts, read 11,255 times
Jesus could do all kinds of miracles. What makes you think He suffered?

Could it have all been for show?

The scriptures tell us everyone is responsible for their own sin.

No one can take away anyone else's sin. That is a misunderstanding.

“The virtue of the righteous shall be his own. The sin of the wicked shall be his own.”

“When a wicked man turns from wickedness and does what is right and just he shall live.”

That is the only way to be blameless.

“All those who do right shall rise to live.”

Old 03-23-2024, 08:23 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefortruth View Post
Jesus could do all kinds of miracles. What makes you think He suffered?

Could it have all been for show?

The scriptures tell us everyone is responsible for their own sin.

No one can take away anyone else's sin. That is a misunderstanding.

“The virtue of the righteous shall be his own. The sin of the wicked shall be his own.”

“When a wicked man turns from wickedness and does what is right and just he shall live.”

That is the only way to be blameless.

“All those who do right shall rise to live.”
John 1:29 The next day he sees Jesus coming toward him and says, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

I don't know if you are deliberately contradicting the Bible or if you simply don't know what the Bible says. Most of your posts are simply wrong. Under the Mosaic Law no man could take away someone else's sin. To be able to do that you had to be free of sin yourself. Since Jesus was without sin he was qualified to go to the cross and bear the sins of the world.

You will of course reply and say that I am wrong, or something to that effect. John 1:29 refutes your claim.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:32 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
No, Jesus didn’t die for us. What Jesus did for us is that he was the first child of God to receive God’s Divine Love. This Divine Love is the substance of God and it was rejected by Adam and Eve.

This was Jesus’ message and what he preached to his followers. And this is still Jesus’ message to all of his brothers and sisters here on earth and in the spirit world. I have been following him and praying for this higher Love since 1975. I’ve had three visits from him and felt His Love. He is our wonderful Brother in Christ, but he isn’t God and he doesn’t want people to worship him.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:51 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The scapegoat version is very "ear-tickling," Meerkat. It is particularly effective in a religion that promotes guilt, fear, and self-loathing ("filthy rags"). Your organizational, societal, and institutional understanding still escapes me, but from an individual perspective, your insights are right on! Our task is to become as much like Jesus as possible and act out of agape love during the vicissitudes and tribulations of this life.
- I couldn't agree more!

Old 03-23-2024, 08:59 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?

Scripture shows us:
Matthew 16:21
& Hebrews 2:17-18 " Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters,
so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God.
Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people.
Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested."

Personally, I think it was necessary for Him to endure the greatest sufferings possible - innocent suffering,
so that HE could in turn give the highest Love possible - And HE did/does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity