Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times

Advertisements

I just found these Bible verses posted online and I didn't believe them at first but then went to an online bible site looked it up and found just this:

Exodus 31:15
15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
A Rebellious Son
*18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Exodus 21:7

*7 "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do.

1 Timothy 2:11-12

*11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

I can't say I understand why these are in the Bible. I'm sure there is an explanation behind them because I thought the Bible was peaceful or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.
A foreshadowing of the rest we find in Christ - there is no life without abiding in the Vine.

Quote:
A Rebellious Son
*18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
Again, a foreshadow of the carnal nature that must be put to death by the cross we are commanded to take up and carry.

Quote:

*7 "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do.
The soul of man must always be the servant of the spirit.

Quote:

*11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
If the soul is leading, the emotions and carnal mind will lead us astray.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
On the surface, it may seem that those scriptures shouldn't be in the Bible- they sound violent and unloving. Those scriptures were part of the Law, which was a loving provision to the Israelites from God.

Now if you were to study the basics of the Bible and then build on that knowledge, you would be able to put those verses into context and really understand why they are there and what purpose they served; and also why those types of Laws really were a loving protection for them at the time.

Please check this out. I really think you will find it helpful and will enable you to get the basics and build on them. "What does the Bible really teach?" You can read it online and use your copy of the Bible to look up the scriptures. Publications Available - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Lord God did not condemn these people to death if you read it. Here is what God said to Moses.....Exodus31:14.``Speak thou also onto the children of Israel saying Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you``..........After that Prophecy Moses Proclaims, Moses judgements of what the Lord Said with these words in verse 15,....``ye shall keep the sabbath therefore for it is holy unto you every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death`` ... came from Moses and his judgement, there is two persons talking here , the Lord God and then Moses ............Deuteronomy 21: 18-21...... is more Judgement of Moses to the referrence to the Ten Commandments of Honor your Father and Mother.... the Lord God did not tell Moses to put these people to death . that was Moses ideas.......Exodus 21 is the Judgements of Moses and came by his customs that brought where the Lord brought the Prophecies of Exodus 20 and the Ten Commandments Moses brought many religious laws that many blame the Lord God for there existinces...... this reminds me of when the taliban leader who ruled in Afganistan had many religious laws like this which may have brought peace for them and their religion but inhinder the liberties of common people ......... In Timothy 2; 11 .... this is more of customs of ancient religous leaders for their customs of that time, they may be Christians but they did not have the true customs of Heaven with their churches,,,, they were not there yet, for these customs come from control spirits and not through the full trust of the Lords Holy Spirit......Many of these primitive ideas come from control and will blame it on pride if people do not conform to their religous ideas.... If Christians find them selves inder these controling Spiritual abuse full leaders, the best advice is to plead the Blood of Jesus and let it go and let Jesus Judge the issue for you and let Jesus fix it for you. and don`t let the devils make you complain about it or you will renege your faith.... Glory to God...

Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,470 times
Quote:
I just found these Bible verses posted online and I didn't believe them at first but then went to an online bible site looked it up and found just this:

God wanted His chosen people to represent Him by the deeds of the law as God rested on the seventh day, and thus as His people in being witnesses of the God, then they were to rest on the seventh day as well.

To keep His people from going astray in picking up that which is from neighboring nations, the death penalty is applied in some cases.

Biblically, we see the results of what happens when they do not: a nation goes astray.

Quote:
A Rebellious Son
Keeping other cultures out from being mixed with God's ways and keeping the order from sin growing in the ranks is also necessary. We all heard the saying how a rotten apple if left alone will spoil the whole basket.

Quote:

That one... I can only hazard a guess... to prevent daughters from going into prostitution to sustain themselves in society. If one was sold as a servant, then that pretty much states the poverty level from which this daughter came from. A man can find any job in those days, but a woman?

Quote:

Let's face it. Women complain about men in not being leaders in the home in taking charge of things, but oftentimes then not in this day and age of women's equal rights, men take the backseat after finding out that two cannot lead in a dance. If the women keep insisting on her way even after both discuss the matter, then the man is just going to avoid the hassle and say whatever you want. The price of course is that they take the backseat while the women complain about that and yet men are that way because women do not respect their husbands enough to let them lead.

A fine example of disrespecting is when the wife ask the man to help make up her mind, but time after time, the pattern is being noted by the man in that whatever he says she should do, she does the opposite: that kind of using the man for a soundboard will last only so long and then he does not care to hear it and say.. whatever you want or.. can't help you.

God wants men to lead in the matters in the churches. That is being submissive to Christ. Women letting them be leaders is also an example of the women being submissive to Christ.

Yet as man is to please his wife as Christ loves the church in giving up His life for her, then we can see why the woman is to respect the husband as they are both are to respect the Christ.

Quote:
I can't say I understand why these are in the Bible. I'm sure there is an explanation behind them because I thought the Bible was peaceful or something along those lines.
John 7:7The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

John 17:14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

John 15: 17These things I command you, that ye love one another. 18If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. 19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Matthew 10: 34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. 37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Believers have died keeping the faith so loving others to tell them the truth does not include tolerance by going along with the crowd or the norm.

1 Peter 4: 3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: 5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Standing apart from the world in being witnesses of our faith in Jesus Christ will draw hatred.

Christians are not under the OT to be stoning anyone, but they are under the NT as in under grace in loving others to tell them the truth.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
i am an avid member of the church of christ and i can tell you that all of the old testament is not in effect anymore. When Christ died, he died for the people and the Old Testament was done away with and the new testament was enacted. think of it like a history book.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katymcdaniel2010 View Post
i am an avid member of the church of christ and i can tell you that all of the old testament is not in effect anymore. When Christ died, he died for the people and the Old Testament was done away with and the new testament was enacted. think of it like a history book.

Hardly....

The Old Testament was not done away with. You still have it attached to your New Testament.

Christians may use the Old Testament, but Jews use a Tanakh, and we certainly have not "done away with it".

It is not a History book.......

Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM

910 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
On the surface, it may seem that those scriptures shouldn't be in the Bible- they sound violent and unloving. Those scriptures were part of the Law, which was a loving provision to the Israelites from God.

Now if you were to study the basics of the Bible and then build on that knowledge, you would be able to put those verses into context and really understand why they are there and what purpose they served; and also why those types of Laws really were a loving protection for them at the time.

Please check this out. I really think you will find it helpful and will enable you to get the basics and build on them. "What does the Bible really teach?" You can read it online and use your copy of the Bible to look up the scriptures. Publications Available - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

From God? And yet Christ confirms that all that came before him were thieves and robbers? Christ also states that only him have known the Father! These old testament mossaic doctrines were given to him by Angels, not G|od Almighty who had still reconciled with mankind as at that time.

You either believe Christ or you don't.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Hardly....

The Old Testament was not done away with. You still have it attached to your New Testament.

Christians may use the Old Testament, but Jews use a Tanakh, and we certainly have not "done away with it".

It is not a History book.......
Eaxactly...What do you think the Apostle referred to when he spoke of the Scriptures?...He certainly was not talking about the New Testament it hadn't been compiled yet into what it is today...The heritage of Christianity IS Judaism, the Meshach did not come to do away with it rather He came to uphold it...

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM

869 posts, read 971,835 times
Quote:
....These old testament mossaic doctrines were given to him by Angels, not God Almighty ....

Both OT and NT tell us that such angels were sent by God to convey God's message. Yet you claim to accept Jesus but deny his angels whom the NT specifically tells us were sent by God? Something just doesn't add up my friend. Care to explain?

Quote:
"The word spoken by ANGELS was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward." Hebrews 2:2

"Wherefore then serves the Law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by ANGELS in the hand of a mediator"
Galatians 3:19

and there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sinai an angel of the Lordin a flame of fire in a bush. When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it the voice of the Lord
[Yahweh in Hebrew] came unto him, saying, I am the God [Elohim in Hebrew] of your fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.”

Acts 7:30–35
Actually, Jesus' birth was heralded by angels. Jesus tomb was visited by angels. He was strengthened on his last night before crucifiction by an angel. Mary was visited by an angel as was John the baptist's father. Jesus himself used an angel to convey the contents of the Book of Revelation to John. So God's use of angels to convey the OT doesn't have the slightest negative effect on the message that God told them to convey. It was conveyed exactly as God ordered and in the exact manner in which God commanded. Neither does belief that the OT was conveyed by angels mean that we are rejecting Christ. If it does constitute a denial of Christ then please explain why and how.

Last edited by Radrook; 06-18-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity