Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM

32 posts, read 36,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, because some people who are atheists mock you, the proper response is to return the favor?
I have to agree with Pleroo on this one. I don't think just because they choose to mock us we have to retaliate. We follow Christ's example and keep ourselves humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Someone sent me this on email today:

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!
A United States Marine was taking some college courses between assignments. He had completed 20 missions in Iraq
and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist, and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "GOD, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform... I'll give you exactly 15 min." The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am GOD, I'm still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned, and sat there
looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied,
"GOD was too busy today protecting America 's soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So He sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!

A respite from constant religious battle...
You know what would've been really "funny"? If someone who thought they were standing in for God had walked up to that professor and shown "God's love" to him. He'd have been so shocked to see a Christian showing him kindness, it'd probably have knocked him off the platform.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Some people are so stupid. It's funny how Atheist get all bent out of shape when we have jokes about them but they are always cracking jokes about us. Hence the infamous Atheist joke thread! But when Christians get a laugh out of you, the whole world has to end. Get the heck out of here!
I don't think I have ever made a joke about beating up a Christian senseless.
I am sure you can prove me wrong though. :hamd

And it wouldn't be a joke if I did. I would certainly not find such a joke funny. There is a difference between deriding certain beliefs and thinking that jingoistic rubbish like physical violence towards ANYONE is OK.

I might think your beliefs are fairy tales but I certainly don't find the idea of Christians being beaten up funny in the slightest. Or anybody else for that matter.

Just to see if it was only me being offended I sent this "joke" to a some Christian friends ( including a lay vicar and someone studying Theology ).

Neither of them seemed to see the humour either. But they're not American so maybe the humour escapes them. It's obviously cultural...

Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Question to all American Christians (I am also American, mind you..) :
What would you think if you saw a "Christian" Iranian website, with the words, "God bless Iran!"

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think I have ever made a joke about beating up a Christian senseless.
I am sure you can prove me wrong though. :hamd

And it wouldn't be a joke if I did. I would certainly not find such a joke funny. There is a difference between deriding certain beliefs and thinking that jingoistic rubbish like physical violence towards ANYONE is OK.

I might think your beliefs are fairy tales but I certainly don't find the idea of Christians being beaten up funny in the slightest. Or anybody else for that matter.

Just to see if it was only me being offended I sent this "joke" to a some Christian friends ( including a lay vicar and someone studying Theology ).

Neither of them seemed to see the humour either. But they're not American so maybe the humour escapes them. It's obviously cultural...
Lies! You would most likely be laughing your pants off and slapping your knees if you heard a joke about that! All Atheist have nothing but bad things to say about us. I don't believe you at all!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Question to all American Christians (I am also American, mind you..) :
What would you think if you saw a "Christian" Iranian website, with the words, "God bless Iran!"

Blessings,
brian
I would hope that they have such sites. I would think that they do but I don't know. I hope that there are places where we can read "G-d Bless Italy" or "Ireland" or "Israel" or "Canada" or "Afghanistan" or . . . What a world it would be if all the countries were, indeed, specifically blessed of G-d. Right now, I just wish the U.S. would learn to bless G-d -- and that all the other countries would as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Lies! You would most likely be laughing your pants off and slapping your knees if you heard a joke about that! All Atheist have nothing but bad things to say about us. I don't believe you at all!
Thank you for calling me a liar. I think you make my point quite nicely about some Christians.

You know nothing about me but if you did you would realise that I loathe all kind of violence and have been a social activist for over almost 30 years. Which includes a lot of working defending people's rights to worship as their conscience dicates.

I do not find violence funny in any shape or form be it domestic abuse or other types of abuse.

Which is why I am a deep admirer of the Quakers ( Christians). Many of my friends are Christians as well as Jewish, Muslims, Buddhists and of course atheists. What people believe in is none of my business as long as it does not harm others. I judge people by the content of their character not the religion they claim as their own ( or lack of therein).

I have plenty of good things to say about Christians , I spend all my school years very happily in Catholic schools and have nothing bad to say about the Nuns and Priests who taught me for example.

What I don't like is holier than thou people who pretend they are better than others and preach to other human beings about going to hell, and have the compassion of mouldy cheese to call themselves Christians.

Respect is earned not a given. Those types of jokes simply reinforce a pretty negative image of American Christianity as being nothing more than a political ideological tool for American Imperialism and trigger happy society.

Jingoism and violence is not big and is not clever. Coupled with the concept of Christianity it becomes disturbing.

And please do not call me a liar again . And grow up.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Awww... you know that just isn't true! Have you forgotten about me? Then again, I'm a Heatherist - not an Atheist - although it's very similar. There are some atheists that don't like believers, and there are some believers that don't like atheists. I think it's best to just try and respect and be nice to everyone - regardless of faith, race, sexual preference, hair color, body size, height, etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
(All I post here, is with all due respect for Ans57, please understand.)

I'm trying to understand the Marine in this joke. What is the connection between killing Afghan people and freedom of speech in America? I don't get it. Honestly. Are Afghans blocking people's freedom in the US? How does that work?

Many Americans today have hate towards people of other countries that they have never met, who are just like them, who might even be friends to them.
But because of pro-military propaganda (and I see LOTS of it, mind you), they are hating an enemy they have never seen.

Reminds me of a certian figure with a pitchfork and horns....

Blessings,
brian
Ohhh...how I regret that I started this thread... My honest intent was to start with the email joke I received...then everybody could share their own. Sort of a respite from the vicious "battle of DOCTRINE" we see in almost all threads. Bashing each other belief over and over and over and over and over...again and again and again and again.

Instead...I started another senseless dispute among loving people...who seem to forget to laugh and take life a little lightly...so as to make it more bearable...

Perhaps I should have titled this "Religious bashing"...?????

This gave me a heavy heart and made me think that perhaps...human nature will always have "survival of the fittest ego" as the main agenda...and that I should just withdraw from the forum and be at peace!

If I could delete this thread...I would...

My sincere apology to everyone...

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You know what would've been really "funny"? If someone who thought they were standing in for God had walked up to that professor and shown "God's love" to him. He'd have been so shocked to see a Christian showing him kindness, it'd probably have knocked him off the platform.

Loving someone no matter how much they mock, rant, and rave. Hmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity