Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The SA Council of Churches has slammed all faith-healing practices in which people are supposedly miraculously cured of life-threatening illnesses, as irresponsible and extremely dangerous.

This comes after the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) alleged that two people died after attending a healing session at the Christ Embassy church in Johannesburg, where they were supposedly "cured" of HIV and extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB).

News - South Africa: Faith healers anger council of churches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM

75 posts, read 101,216 times
Lately I have noticed that 'FAITH' in God, has been put in second place among many Christian believers, should say 'so-called' believers. Worldly education, science, reason and logic seem to be running the church these days, at least, most churchs here in the US. So, it's happening else where in the world I see...thanks for the link....Rkin

Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkin-saw View Post
Lately I have noticed that 'FAITH' in God, has been put in second place among many Christian believers, should say 'so-called' believers. Worldly education, science, reason and logic seem to be running the church these days, at least, most churchs here in the US. So, it's happening else where in the world I see...thanks for the link....Rkin
In Africa the charlatans run amuck because so few people have access to good medicine. What we may be seeing is a reaction to that.

Desperate people are the most vulnerable. That's mow Benny Hinn gets so much money (worldwide) from those who have exhausted non-faith options or have no other options.

Even in poor countries it's a huge money maker. If 30,000,000 people send you 2 dollars each - do the math.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
In Africa the charlatans run amuck because so few people have access to good medicine. What we may be seeing is a reaction to that.

Desperate people are the most vulnerable. That's mow Benny Hinn gets so much money (worldwide) from those who have exhausted non-faith options or have no other options.

Even in poor countries it's a huge money maker. If 30,000,000 people send you 2 dollars each - do the math.
Even with my poor math...1 dollar x 30...let alone...60,000,000 is a lot of moolah to support an "extravagant" lifestyle...

Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
I can remember about 25 years ago: the big fad at the time was to go to the Philipines and visit the so-called "faith-healers". The "healer" would "operate" on the afflicted person, performing surgery with hands only...no instruments...and proceed to physically pull out bloody "tumors", and other bad yucky stuff.
A friend of mine, whose wife became horribly sick with cancer, took her to one of those, and supposedly got "healed". Shortly thereafter, she died. I felt so bad for my friend...didn't know what to say to him.
Since then, I've been skeptical of so-called "healers", especially if they are directly, or indirectly, demanding money...(todays TV "miracle" preachers come to mind...just send in your tithes and offerings now for "your" miracle...) (and watch your wallet miraculously empty itself)
That said, there are still real healings that take place, that are genuinely from God. One of the instructions in the Bible is that if anyone is sick, for them to go to the church elders, and have them anoint with oil, and the prayer of faith would heal the sick. (If your church doesn't have elders who anoint with oil, then go find one that does). It is amazing how so many churches today don't follow the basic instructions outlined in the Bible.
People will go from one doctor to another to another to another, and only come to Christ, the great Physician, as a last-ditch desperate attempt...

Bud

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I can remember about 25 years ago: the big fad at the time was to go to the Philipines and visit the so-called "faith-healers". The "healer" would "operate" on the afflicted person, performing surgery with hands only...no instruments...and proceed to physically pull out bloody "tumors", and other bad yucky stuff.
The late great comedian Andy Kaufman even went to have " Psychic surgery" done before he died.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The late great comedian Andy Kaufman even went to have " Psychic surgery" done before he died.
Here's a REPEAT expose' on one "psychic surgeon"

YouTube - ‪Psychic Surgery Exposed‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 AM

454 posts, read 498,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

$60 000 000. YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity