Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It's one of my pet peeves so don't do it again.

Okay. I proimse to nevre missspell a worrd agin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
It is not unchristian to be vegan. Christians, for the most, believe one can eat or not eat anything that pleases them.

As far as what the Bible (NASB) says,
Romans 14:2 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only."
Wuest's translation says, "Now, to the one who is weak with respect to his faith, be giving a cordial welcome, not with a view to a critical analysis of his inward reasonings."
Hmmm. Wuest says nothing about eating! Interesting! I want to see why. . .
Wow! My Greek Bibles are closer to the NASB than to Wuest! Hmmmm. Interesting.

Well, anyway:
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dish of vegetables where love is
Than a fattened ox served with hatred."
And when Daniel reaffirmed that he would not eat non-kosher food, even while in captivity:
Daniel 1:12 “Please test your servants for ten days, and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink.
Daniel 1:16 "So the overseer continued to withhold their choice food and the wine they were to drink, and kept giving them vegetables." and when it was all over, they looked better than those who had eaten non-kosher foods.

Ilene Wright, I am in big trouble, then. I typo all the time, and I miss most of my typos or just decide not to bother correcting them. Yeow!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:00 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing as "vegenaise".....I'll have to try that. And the non-dairy butter. The thing is that being a vegetarian is much better for you health wise. I would miss cheese, I LOVE cheese....so are there any substitutes for it? Maybe you could share a few of your recipes with us?
I can eat vegenaise straight from the jar - it is great. Butter subs: Margarine War: Earth Balance vs. Smart Balance

I use smart balance. I've never tried earth balance but smart balance is great.

As far as cheese, I don't care much for what they've come up with - but give it time: where there's a market - there's a way.

Here's some cream cheese though: Vegetarian Network Victoria - Products: Vegan Cream Cheese

Join a community like this: VeggieBoards - Vegetarian Forum

There are recipes and a bunch of really helpful people!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What is "non-dairy butter," if not margerine?

Frankly, I'd rather suck down a pan of bacon grease as put that stuff in my mouth. It's only a molecule or two removed from pure plastic. I can't see how that would be healthy.
We've come a LONG way since the 60's! After the scientific data came out on 'old school' margarines it was clear a new market needed to emerge. There is a new breed of organic all natural 'margarines'. They taste GREAT and are healthy. Here are the two brands currently vying for the hearts and minds of vegans: Margarine War: Earth Balance vs. Smart Balance

Old 08-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
As far as what the Bible (NASB) says,
Romans 14:2 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only."
Of course - this verse is used against veganism often (to say vegans have weak faith) - but yet no one has ever explained to me how eating meat = strong faith.

My response is that the whole world must have strong faith because the whole world is a virtual bloodbath of slaughter and meat consumption with 10,000,000,000 (yes, that's "billion") animals a year killed in the U.S. alone for food products.

See what I'm saying?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I can eat vegenaise straight from the jar - it is great. Butter subs: Margarine War: Earth Balance vs. Smart Balance

I use smart balance. I've never tried earth balance but smart balance is great.

As far as cheese, I don't care much for what they've come up with - but give it time: where there's a market - there's a way.

Here's some cream cheese though: Vegetarian Network Victoria - Products: Vegan Cream Cheese

Join a community like this: VeggieBoards - Vegetarian Forum

There are recipes and a bunch of really helpful people!
Thanks FB...really good information!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Ilene Wright, I am in big trouble, then. I typo all the time, and I miss most of my typos or just decide not to bother correcting them. Yeow!
You are in big trouble. Don't be surprised when I call you out on them....I really get on my family's nerves always correcting their spelling or speech. Count your blessings.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
We've come a LONG way since the 60's! After the scientific data came out on 'old school' margarines it was clear a new market needed to emerge. There is a new breed of organic all natural 'margarines'. They taste GREAT and are healthy. Here are the two brands currently vying for the hearts and minds of vegans: Margarine War: Earth Balance vs. Smart Balance

Ingredients:

Smart Balance Buttery Spread
Made by GFA Brands, Inc.

Natural Oil Blend (Palm Fruit, Soybean, Canola Seed, and Olive Oils)Water, contains Less than 2% of Salt, Whey, Vegetable Monoglycerides and Sorbitan Ester of Fatty Acids (Emulsifiers) {Actually a soap/surfactant} Soybean Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid (to Protect Freshness)Natural and Artificial Flavor, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (DL-a-Tocopheryl Acetate)Beta-Carotene Color

Earth Balance Natural, Original Buttery Spread
Made by GFA Brands, Inc.

Expeller-Pressed Natural Oil Blend (Soybean, Palm fruit, and Canola, and Olive)Filtered Water, Pure Salt, Natural Flavor (Derived from Corn, No MSG, No Alcohol, No Gluten)Soy Protein, Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid (Non-Dairy, Derived from Sugar Beets)Naturally Extracted Annatto for Color

Land O' Lakes Sweet Cream Salted Butter
Made by Land O'Lakes, Inc.

Cream, Salt.

Hmmmmm. Thanks, but no thanks. I think I'll just stick with plain ol' butter.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ingredients:

Smart Balance Buttery Spread
Made by GFA Brands, Inc.

Natural Oil Blend (Palm Fruit, Soybean, Canola Seed, and Olive Oils)Water, contains Less than 2% of Salt, Whey, Vegetable Monoglycerides and Sorbitan Ester of Fatty Acids (Emulsifiers) {Actually a soap/surfactant} Soybean Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid (to Protect Freshness)Natural and Artificial Flavor, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (DL-a-Tocopheryl Acetate)Beta-Carotene Color

Earth Balance Natural, Original Buttery Spread
Made by GFA Brands, Inc.

Expeller-Pressed Natural Oil Blend (Soybean, Palm fruit, and Canola, and Olive)Filtered Water, Pure Salt, Natural Flavor (Derived from Corn, No MSG, No Alcohol, No Gluten)Soy Protein, Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid (Non-Dairy, Derived from Sugar Beets)Naturally Extracted Annatto for Color

Land O' Lakes Sweet Cream Salted Butter
Made by Land O'Lakes, Inc.

Cream, Salt.

Hmmmmm. Thanks, but no thanks. I think I'll just stick with plain ol' butter.
There is a vegan version of Smart Balance without whey. Earth balance looks to be more natural.

"Stick" to butter, eh? That's fine, but it will return the favor and stick to you as well.

The main point of veganism is to stop animal suffering so (of course) if that's not your goal (and you don't mind the high fat content of butter) then there's no point in changing.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Default Evidence Shows that Our Meat-Based Diet is Bad for the Environment, Aggravates Global Hunger, Brutalizes Animals and Com

Here's some great info:

The Case Against Meat : Evidence Shows that Our Meat-Based Diet is Bad for the Environment, Aggravates Global Hunger, Brutalizes Animals and Compromises Our Health (by Jim Motavalli)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity