Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a Christian or Catholic?
Christian 13 92.86%
Catholic 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Actually, that is also not completely correct. You can be Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox.
Actually, that is also not completely correct. You can be Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, LDS or... just an unaffiliated Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Are you a Christian or a Catholic, simple question? Why?
Your poll is an error because Catholics are Christians , if your know Lord Jesus and you really support and bless the people who believe Jesus then you will know Catholics are Christian

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM

306 posts, read 714,263 times
If you want to get even more technical, Lutherans confess the three ecumenical creeds and thus are part of the Church catholic, but not the Roman Catholic Church. So, they are both catholic and Christian.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Well I guess if we want to get into all the variants, that I can think of anyway, you can be

Catholic
Anglican - Middle-way between Protestants and Catholics, that might be more true of the Anglo-Catholics.
Protestant - Generally focus on Bible and faith, but I think most do accept the Nicene Creed in some form.
Restorationists - "Radical" Protestantism that rejects all Councils including Nicaea.
Eastern Orthodox - Accept all councils up to the Last Council of Nicaea in 787
Oriental Orthodox - Armenian, Coptic, Ethiopian, etc churches which reject councils after the fifth century or so.
Assyrian - Reject Councils after the Fourth Century or so.

Religions deemed Christian, but where there is dispute due to views on the Trinity or divinity of Christ.

Christadelphians
Church of Christ, Scientists or "The Christian Scientists."
Mormons - Although I believe the "Community of Christ", formerly RLDS, has jettisoned most of its variance from Christian teaching.
Oneness Pentecostalism
Jehovah's Witnesses
Unity Church
Iglesia ni Cristo - Filipino Restorationist Church that I believe is non-trinitarian.
Swedenborgian Churches (The New Church, General Church of the New Jerusalem, Swedenborgian Church of North America)
Two by Twos or "The Nameless Church"

There's also the Indian Shaker Church which is, I believe, in some sense Christian but hard to place. Also various "African Initiated Churches", like Aladura and the Celestial Church of Christ, might not fit easily in any of these.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:23 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Default Not all Catholics are Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
All Catholics are Christians. Not all Christians are Catholic.
No. Not all Catholics are Christian. Only the one ones who have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior are. ANYONE in any denomination or no denomination at all can be a Christian by asking Jesus to save them from their sin.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, that is also not completely correct. You can be Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, LDS or... just an unaffiliated Christian.
I guess as a Catholic, I group Christians as Catholic, non-Catholic, and nearly Catholic.

You mean there are non-Catholics who are not protesting?

I stand corrected.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I guess as a Catholic, I group Christians as Catholic, non-Catholic, and nearly Catholic.

You mean there are non-Catholics who are not protesting?

I stand corrected.
Frankly, with what I know about Christ's commandments, I admit with fear and trembling that I am Christian.

It's much easier to say I'm Catholic.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
I think the question is almost an insult to both Catholics and all Christians. I did not vote as a result.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM

95 posts, read 162,455 times
Aren't Catholics Christian? As a Lutheran we see ourselves as Catholic but just not part of the Roman Catholic communion so I can definitely call myself a Catholic Christian or as some Lutherans say: Evangelical Catholic. But all Christian denominations who profess faith in Christ are Christian. As a former Baptist I know some Protestants refer to themselves as Christian but don't consider Catholics as Christian in the same way; it really is a narrow interpretation and inappropriate in my opinion.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:35 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,492 times
By catholic are you referring to the Roman Church, the Independent Catholic Church, The American Catholic Church?

There are so many catholic churches your question is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity