Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Based on current advertising, below is a list of companies that avoid, ban, or use the term "Christmas" in their advertising. We will continually update the list, so check back often.

Naughty or Nice Christmas List 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
When I was in Starbucks the other day I heard several "Jesus" songs, I was actually a little surprised.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
The fact that it is put out by the AFA means I will patronize stores NOT on it. They are a hate group who try to deny rights to those they don't like. Not much better than Westboro Baptist Church, just more polished.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
Barnes & Noble recently changed -- like the last 2 years. Went in for a religious calendar I always buy and found every religion or sect or pagan...just not the Christian ones. Asked at the desk; the girl was really embarrassed and told me "we are an equal opportunity store, not Christian" and whispered to me names of 3 Christian stores to try. [I found the company website and got it there]

Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Barnes & Noble recently changed -- like the last 2 years. Went in for a religious calendar I always buy and found every religion or sect or pagan...just not the Christian ones. Asked at the desk; the girl was really embarrassed and told me "we are an equal opportunity store, not Christian" and whispered to me names of 3 Christian stores to try. [I found the company website and got it there]

Are you making this up? Seriously, because the B&N near us has Christian stuff all over the place plus the B&N website has a large variety of Christian calendars.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM

I absolutely despise AFA and their stupid boycott list. What difference does it make if there is the word Christmas on a store's advertising or a sales clerk says Happy Holidays to you instead of Merry Christmas? They are being respectful of others. That's great! But it doesn't mean YOU can't say Merry Christmas!

Besides, who cares what's going in in the stores anyway. Is the shopping the reason for the season? A lot of people think so. Sad really.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Who cares? I mean really, who cares about such things to the point of trying to control/punish/reward each other through commerce? It seems petty. You do realize that Christmas is a pagan holiday, right?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I absolutely despise AFA and their stupid boycott list. What difference does it make if there is the word Christmas on a store's advertising or a sales clerk says Happy Holidays to you instead of Merry Christmas? They are being respectful of others. That's great! But it doesn't mean YOU can't say Merry Christmas!

Besides, who cares what's going in in the stores anyway. Is the shopping the reason for the season? A lot of people think so. Sad really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Who cares? I mean really, who cares about such things to the point of trying to control/punish/reward each other through commerce? It seems petty. You do realize that Christmas is a pagan holiday, right?
I only care if the employees are not allowed to say Merry Christmas, other than that I don't mind what they do.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
funny that being 'respectful' of others always involves not being respectful towards the Christian.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
funny that being 'respectful' of others always involves not being respectful towards the Christian.
What's not being respectful? I don't get it. I'm Christian and I don't feel disrespected if Gap Stores don't put the word Christmas in their ads. What retail stores do has less than nothing to do with my status as a Christian.

Furthermore, employees are often asked to say or not say certain things by their employers. McDonald's employees are asked to say "Do you want fries with that?" to each customer. So what? Disneyland employees are discouraged from yawning in front of a customer. Seriously. So what? Get a job at Chic-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby if it is such a big deal to you. Or go around saying "Merry Christmas" until your lips are numb when you are off work if that makes you feel better.

You can say "Happy Holidays" to me if you want to. I'm celebrating holidays. From now until mid-January, I'm celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, a birthday, and an anniversary. I might even go around saying "Happy Holidays" myself - gasp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity