Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,466 times

Advertisements

There are some exceptions (Amish, Quakers, and Mennonites, along with some individual Christians in America), but for the most part, Christians in America are very pro-military and often rather pro-war.

This baffles me because Jesus is the man who told people to turn the other cheek. He was even more of a pacifist than Gandhi was. I'm sure if Jesus lived in the 21st century, he wouldn't condemn people in the US Military (Jesus didn't condemn anyone), but I certainly think he would oppose the military and what it does.

Do Americans believe in a different Jesus? A Jesus that believes violence is sometimes justified? A Jesus that accepts the US Army as His Holy Army?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
First of all, I don't know if your assumption is true that christians are pro war.

However, it is always helpful to get someone to do something if you can convince them god is on their side.

If you take advantage of all the brainwashing people have been exposed to in the form of religion you can make it work to your advantage.

Having a military and being religious are mutually exclusive. Both religious people and atheists pretty much agree it is not a good thing to have another country attack and take over your country.

There's a certain slogan used by those who tie religion and nationalism together in the US: god bless America. It's actually a coercive statement used by religious people. Agree to it, and you accept (their?) god; disagree with it and you are unpatriotic. To an atheist it is a completely invalid statement (or command).

Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Christians are called to fight against the evil spirits of this world and come into agreement with The Lord God who is of a Higher Court that the US military or the US Congress...... a believers take their issues to the Lord God...........See in some countries in Europe, went a turned their backs on the Lord God like athiest of America want and the Lord is now turning their countries over to their enemies right before their noses, and they are so deceived that they don`t the diffrences. and they are losing their countries to foreigners. American is right now handing their countries over to the foreigners and the liberal civil liberanist support the capture of America..........Why is this going on ? because people are turning away from the truth of the Lord Jesus and falling into sin of the martyr which condemns and judges their neighbour instead of praying for peace as believer and children of God are called......The whole system is coming to a close in the years ahead as Jesus will close down HIS fragmented church and bring His church together to the end times were pride and malice of men will judge to whole world and bring Jesus back for HIS renewal.... Glory to God.......

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
It is the very similar to why do most Christians vote GOP. Most Christians have in innocrrect view of Christianity so the feel that using force to "help" God is the way to go. I don't really think that Jesus meant for us to let armies march down mainstreet USA but going across the globe to fight, is not a good plan.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is the very similar to why do most Christians vote GOP. Most Christians have in innocrrect view of Christianity so the feel that using force to "help" God is the way to go. I don't really think that Jesus meant for us to let armies march down mainstreet USA but going across the globe to fight, is not a good plan.
We defend. Nothing unbiblical about that.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
There are some exceptions (Amish, Quakers, and Mennonites, along with some individual Christians in America), but for the most part, Christians in America are very pro-military and often rather pro-war.

This baffles me because Jesus is the man who told people to turn the other cheek. He was even more of a pacifist than Gandhi was. I'm sure if Jesus lived in the 21st century, he wouldn't condemn people in the US Military (Jesus didn't condemn anyone), but I certainly think he would oppose the military and what it does.

Do Americans believe in a different Jesus? A Jesus that believes violence is sometimes justified? A Jesus that accepts the US Army as His Holy Army?
He sees this country for what it is, as with ALL countries owned by Satan,, as evil rules over His Children. We are called to 'Come out of her, My People'. Coming out means more than moving physically. It is a spiritual move, led by the Shepherd. Only His Kingdom endures forever.

These worldly-systems come and go, once the cattle see the farm for what it is,,and they revolt or are put down. Like beasts they are slaughtered, for lack of knowledge of the Lord. They will even fight for their masters, thinking they are serving God. But, He sets us free, in every sense of the word. Out of this freedom, we serve each other, thereby serving Him. Killing each other over theological disputes(ISALM), or production disputes(OIL), or even monetary disputes(DOLLAR) is NOT what a Christian does.

But man loves their kings, because they desire to be like the Jones'. And since the kings love to rule, they take without constraints, which is what God warned His Children about in 1st Samuel 8.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:20 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
We defend. Nothing unbiblical about that.
Nothing wrong with defense. Everything wrong with offense though.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,211 times
Because Jesus said, "Go therefore and make disciples of ALL NATIONS..." I personally don't involve myself in political warfare and strife. I know that if I pick up a gun to protect my country...I may be killing a Christian brother or sister...so I just don't do it. My allegiance to God has no boundaries.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,274 times
Quote:

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.Luk 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

God ordains governments [Bible fact], and governments have armies, and armies have swords.

Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:

We The People Will Defend Our Liberty!...with our lives!...

YouTube - We The People

...Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity