Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I understood whay you meant.

According to the Bible, it is a sin to lust after someone other than your spouse. Having sexual desire for your spouse is both normal & encouraged in Scripture. I provided specific passages previously.
Well, some here obviously have not read that scripture! But still - lust is natural. And you can't really control who you lust about. It's just part of the way we were built. Now obviously, I'm married and I'm not going to sit there indulging in lusting after lots of other guys. I married my husband for a reason - I don't want anyone else. Still, we all have lustful thoughts from puberty until the day we die. It's just natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,380,629 times
Quote:
Helpful? It's necessary!

Well, it can be helpful in that it makes us all the more Joyful about the work done at Calvary for all mankind! But it is not necessary; on the contrary, it is Adam that has been the basis for crusades, holy wars and denominational conflict.

Yes, God can justify anyone, if they will believe!

Imo, He justified everyone; but if they believe, all the better!

IA.

God made us perfect. He gave us free will. We chose sin over God. He provided a way of escape from the penalty of sin through Jesus' redemptive work on the cross. If we believe, we are free! Universal salvation is not Biblical!!!

I believe we are on our way to becoming perfect, yes. Does it seem fair or just that God would put all mankind in sin and not take him out again??
Awaiting your feedback!

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-14-2011, 01:52 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,832,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
That wasn't what i asked you, i asked how do you discern who is anticipating Christ and who isn't ?, you cannot say prayer , because we pray in secret, so you would never know who is praying and who isn't.
No, you asked me about Cornelius. Scripture tells us he prayed regularly to God.

Quote:
And when i referred you to Cornelius and the good works he was doing, you said it was because he was anticipating Christ, and yet in the above quote,you said outside of Christ we can do nothing acceptable to Christ.
And I told you Cornelius was "in Christ" because he was devout and God-fearing (verse 2) prior to hearing that the Messiah had come. Later in chapter 10, he was saved by the preaching of Peter.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
No, you asked me about Cornelius. Scripture tells us he prayed regularly to God.

And I told you Cornelius was "in Christ" because he was devout and God-fearing (verse 2) prior to hearing that the Messiah had come. Later in chapter 10, he was saved by the preaching of Peter.
No you originally said Cornelius was anticipating Christ . Let's get things in order. You said this to Phazelwood

Quote:
What can we do outside of Christ that is acceptable to God?
I responded by giving you the account of Cornelius, which you went onto to say, he was anticipating Christ, now you are saying he was in christ because he was a devout and God fearing man ????.

So my question to you is how do you know who is anticipating Christ and who isn't , so you can discern whether what they are doing is acceptable or not ?. You cannot say by prayer, because prayer is in secret ?.

I believe God moves on the hearts of all men at any given time to do good works,and most people don't realize they are doing good, or even the need to shout home about it.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, some here obviously have not read that scripture! But still - lust is natural. And you can't really control who you lust about. It's just part of the way we were built. Now obviously, I'm married and I'm not going to sit there indulging in lusting after lots of other guys. I married my husband for a reason - I don't want anyone else. Still, we all have lustful thoughts from puberty until the day we die. It's just natural.
Certainly, but there are ways to control it.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Well, it can be helpful in that it makes us all the more Joyful about the work done at Calvary for all mankind! But it is not necessary; on the contrary, it is Adam that has been the basis for crusades, holy wars and denominational conflict.
One must understand they are dead in their sins to be made alive in Christ. Romans 6:23

Quote:
Imo, He justified everyone; but if they believe, all the better!

Not Biblical.

Quote:
I believe we are on our way to becoming perfect, yes. Does it seem fair or just that God would put all mankind in sin and not take him out again??

God did not put mankind in sin.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
Certainly, but there are ways to control it.
But I guess that's my point. Certainly you shouldn't let it run your life - but it's natural. It just seems that religion uses our sexuality against us. It seems that we are supposed to feel ashamed of our instincts and desires - or control them, instead of just accepting that they are normal and natural.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong - or you have issues or anything. It's just that this is one of the problems that I have with Christianity.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
No you originally said Cornelius was anticipating Christ . Let's get things in order. You said this to Phazelwood

I responded by giving you the account of Cornelius, which you went onto to say, he was anticipating Christ, now you are saying he was in christ because he was a devout and God fearing man ????.

So my question to you is how do you know who is anticipating Christ and who isn't , so you can discern whether what they are doing is acceptable or not ?. You cannot say by prayer, because prayer is in secret ?.

I believe God moves on the hearts of all men at any given time to do good works,and most people don't realize they are doing good, or even the need to shout home about it.
Cornelius' prayer (and dedication to God) may have been in secret, but we all know about it through Scripture, don't we?

This is the same thing that applied to all OT saints. Paul discussed this.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But I guess that's my point. Certainly you shouldn't let it run your life - but it's natural. It just seems that religion uses our sexuality against us. It seems that we are supposed to feel ashamed of our instincts and desires - or control them, instead of just accepting that they are normal and natural.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong - or you have issues or anything. It's just that this is one of the problems that I have with Christianity.
You're confusing natural desires with our sinful nature. If I let my desire for other women have it's course, I would have a broken marriage, broken relationships with my kids & grandkids, possible STDs, & ultimately lonliness. Rules (God's or any others) are for our protection.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
Cornelius' prayer (and dedication to God) may have been in secret, but we all know about it through Scripture, don't we?

This is the same thing that applied to all OT saints. Paul discussed this.
But on what authority can you in particular, decide who is anticipatng Christ and who isn't . So who are you to decide what is acceptable God or not, when you do not have a clue who is anticipating christ or not ?.Please don't insult our intelligence and tell us you know who is anticipating and who isn't.

The truth is Christ is anticipating us . Now that is something i find trustworthy and worthy of full acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity