Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question, and is being brought up continually. So, what is the evidence, one way or the other? Watch this and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijUc7NI2O28

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Please Mormons, if what this guy is saying is wrong,,please refute it. I seriously am curious.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Please Mormons, if what this guy is saying is wrong,,please refute it. I seriously am curious.
What he is saying is wrong. I didn't have time to listen to the entire 13 minutes of his talk because I have to sign off now and leave for an appointment, but within the first minute, he took statements out of context, put his own interpretation on LDS beliefs, and did not explain our doctrines as we would explain them ourselves. If you wanted to really gain an accurate understanding of what Judaism teaches, would you ask a Muslim to explain Jewish doctrine to you? If you wanted to learn the truth about Lutheranism, would you be more likely to find it by asking a Pentacostal minister or by visiting a Lutheran Church? You say that you seriously are curious about whether Mormonism is Christian. I say that if this is the case, you need to start by going to the right source for your information. It's a waste of everybody's time for you to listen to someone who misrepresents our beliefs and then ask us to explain why he's wrong when you can simply ask us what we believe instead.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
LDS are not, unless a person truely expects a Muslim to say "no we're not..the Jews have it correct"
likewise a Mormon wouldn't say.. "No we're not, but ________ are".

Simply because one claims to be, doesn't make one to be.

For example,
there are many here who claim that the one doesn't need to belong to a church to have salvation.

LDS claims:
"If it had not be for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.
There is no salvation outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" .. Mormon Doctrine, p. 670
So how would you determine who is telling the truth ... would you turn to a atheist?
Would the "no church belonger crowd" concede they are wrong....hardly.

-------------------------------------------

So a person would ask a Mormon and got different answers, then what?

Lets say for example the Mormon answers to the question "are we saved by faith in Christ alone?"

One answers
  • Yes we are.
another answers
  • One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation
yet another answers:
  • Man cannot be redeemed from this spiritual death by an act of Christ alone
Eventually the same would be required if one asks a Lutheran\Baptist\ RC\Jewish\Muslim\New Ager\ UR'er\ atheist and got different answers...

Last edited by twin.spin; 02-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: spacing problems

Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Oh good grief. What does it matter? Mormons consider themselves Christians. Catholics consider themselves Christians. You can consider them as whatever you want to consider them as. They don't need your approval to be what they are. Quit the judging and just focus on yourselves. If you don't believe in Mormonism, don't be a Mormon. It's really that simple.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh good grief. What does it matter? Mormons consider themselves Christians. Catholics consider themselves Christians. You can consider them as whatever you want to consider them as. They don't need your approval to be what they are. Quit the judging and just focus on yourselves. If you don't believe in Mormonism, don't be a Mormon. It's really that simple.
The reason it matters is because of doctrines. There are no 2 correct doctrines.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Catholics consider themselves Christians. .
They do?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The reason it matters is because of doctrines. There are no 2 correct doctrines.
Jesus rejected the "precepts and doctrines of men" so why do you defend them as essential for Christianity?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
They do?
Sure they do. And they believe that theirs is the original Christian religion.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
LDS are not, unless a person truely expects a Muslim to say "no we're not..the Jews have it correct"
likewise a Mormon wouldn't say.. "No we're not, but ________ are".
This makes no sense. If I were to say, "No we're not, but Lutherans (or Baptists or Catholics) are," I would be bearing false witness against 14 million people who genuinely consider themselves to be Christians. I would be going against everything I believe to be true. I would be denying that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I would be claiming that I could earn the right to enter Heaven on my own merits. How could I claim any of those things and be true to myself?

Quote:
Simply because one claims to be, doesn't make one to be.
That's right. I believe they need the twin.spin seal of approval, don't they?

Quote:
For example,
there are many here who claim that the one doesn't need to belong to a church to have salvation.

LDS claims:
"If it had not be for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.
There is no salvation outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" .. Mormon Doctrine, p. 670
So how would you determine who is telling the truth ... would you turn to a atheist?
Would the "no church belonger crowd" concede they are wrong....hardly.
I don't know whether you're simply missing the point or choosing to ignore it. It's not a matter of who is telling the truth. All of us (you and I and everyone else on this forum) are stating what we believe to be true. Why would I lie about what I believe? Why do you think people should not trust me to accurately explain the doctrines of the Church I was raised in? Why would you be a more reliable source on Mormon doctrine than I am?

Incidentally, you just did exactly what the individual in HotinAZ's video did. You took at statement out of context and presented it in such a way that people reading it would assume it meant that the Latter-day Saints believe that they're the only people in the world who will be saved. That's not what we believe at all. Why would you want people to think we believe something we don't believe?

Quote:
So a person would ask a Mormon and got different answers, then what?

Lets say for example the Mormon answers to the question "are we saved by faith?"

One answers
  • Yes we are.
another answers
  • One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation
yet another answers:
  • Man cannot be redeemed from this spiritual death by an act of Christ alone
None of those answers in and of themselves would be complete enough to explain the LDS doctrine. I would say that all of them are true, but that they need to be understood within the context of our theology as a whole. In brief, we are saved by faith, but it must be a living faith, and faith without works is dead.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-03-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity