Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe every word of the Old Testament?
I believe every word of the Old Testament 19 63.33%
I do NOT believe every word of it 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

I am curious how you all feel about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
I am interested in this too. Do Christians accept all of the OT and follow all of the OT as from G-d. Or is it not relevant. Or are just parts of it important? If its all from G-d and his binding then what about all laws found within the Bible. Are they binding.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am interested in this too. Do Christians accept all of the OT and follow all of the OT as from G-d. Or is it not relevant. Or are just parts of it important? If its all from G-d and his binding then what about all laws found within the Bible. Are they binding.
Yes, the OT is valid Holy Scripture. There is much we can learn from the OT saints.

No, we are not bound to follow the OT Law. Since Jesus, we live under grace. Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Law for us. Faith in Christ's redemptive work on the cross saves us from the penalty of sin.

The Law was given to reveal sin & more importantly our inability to keep it. Hence, Jesus.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Default OT vs NT; Law vs Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The Old Testament (and law) is a vitally important part of the Bible which, as Jesus said, "is not abolished, but fulfilled." Without the Old Testament, we would not really have a grasp of the foundational aspects of Christ's coming (eg; the nature of sin, the law, blood sacrifice, God's unchanging holiness, love and plan, etc). Ironically, the OT is every bit as important as Revelation, or the 'end of the story.'

The OT provides the history of mankind from the creation, showing us the need for a 'New Testament,' in that man has never been able to 'keep the law.' According to God's perfect plan, the law/OT is the means by which we recognize our sin AND our inability to 'get righteous/holy on our own'. Gal. 3 describes how the law becomes a 'teacher' who leads us to Salvation in Jesus Christ.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow ... (the same God of the Old Testament and New Testament) --- Our knowledge of God's holiness and dealings with mankind from the beginning. Although many do not readily see it, the OT is actually an 'earlier' version of the NT ... or a pre-cursor. The unblemished lamb of the OT is the precursor to Christ, the 'lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.'

Whether teaching or preaching, I slip back and forth between the OT and NT ... frequently using one to explain and expand on the other. Since God has miraculously preserved the Old and New Testament, we must trust that He has a purpose that we may not always see, but must incorporate into our understanding of life, God and ourselves.

Finally, in the context of "Every Word." I would have to say "yes." How would one otherwise determine which 'words' NOT to believe? I don't think we have the God-given authority to 'add or subtract words' from God's Word.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-08-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I believe every word of it, as I believe every word of the Bible as a whole.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
I believe every word of the old testament holds truths, those truths are not necessarily represented in their entirety by anyone, including myself, and especially religious organizations and their doctrines.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
RESPONSE:

Regarding scripture, St Paul advised us to "Test everything" and "Hold fast to that which is true."

I did. So I don't.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-08-2011 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, the OT is valid Holy Scripture. There is much we can learn from the OT saints.

No, we are not bound to follow the OT Law. Since Jesus, we live under grace. Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Law for us. Faith in Christ's redemptive work on the cross saves us from the penalty of sin.

The Law was given to reveal sin & more importantly our inability to keep it. Hence, Jesus.
So the OT is from G-d but you don't have to follow all of it....... Isn't that cherry picking?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Yes, I believe every word of it, as I believe every word of the Bible as a whole.
Ok you believe every word of it...... Do you follow every word of it?

Or are there parts you can ignore because it does not pertain to Christianity...

What do you do about the law? Pass by it?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM

folks the question probably ought to have been put in a different way in the poll.

Do you believe the OT 100% and follow it 100%

Do you believe only parts and only follow parts of it.

Do Christians pick and choose what to follow in the OT? or do they follow all of it, not just believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity