Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Antredd,
In this verse, "study" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means "strive" to show thyself approved.

Young's Literal translation renders it thus: "be diligent to present thyself approved to God."

Bible studies have nothing to do with this verse. Studying the Bible all day and all night will not give you God's Spirit. The Bible is only a testimony; it is NOT God's Word, which has existed since before the world began. "Every word of God" means DIRECT, from HIS mouth into YOUR heart.

Neither is there a verse that tells you which version to buy, how much to pay for it, how to get a discount, where to get a concordance, etc...

Imo, of course..

Blessings,
brian
AMEN Brian...it is those who know this who will truly connect to God and become ONE...for one can only find the true connection to God from WITHIN...not from reading a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
2 Timothy 2:15 says from the KJV Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth and or the NIV says Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

With that said, all Christians are required to study God's word, so that we can learn how to be closer to God, His Son, and to live Godly lives. Depending on whose translation that you read, the main point that Paul is stressing is doing our best so that, from our bible study of God's Word, we can become skilled at handling God's word of truth. By studying the Word of God, we become equipped, with the help of the Holy Spirit to discern when someone is teaching false doctrine over the truth.

Paul warned about false teachers infiltrating the church during the last days, and what's so sad, many people are falling for false teaching.
Are you studying God's word, and if not, then why?
Well, since I began our churches Wednesday night Bible study I've grown much closer to God. At this time we are studying Paul's letters. He is very vexed by the Corinthians because of the false teachings that have infiltrated the church. I can't help but think, we christrians of the 21st century are really no different then the ancient Corinthians of Paul's time.
The problem with studying Paul is that I've gotten more critical of my own church, -the Prsbyterian Churches USA. They fallen for the false teaching of political correctness by allowing homosexualality in the clergy, which Pauls calls as an abominable sin. So, even though I've I've grown closer to Christ with the Bible study at the Presbyterian Church, they really are no different then Rev. Jeramiah Wright's 'First Congregational United Church of Christ, the Episcopalians, Lutherns, and Methedists. So I really have gotten more critical of my own church and feel that I must move on and out.
The Bible I am using is the 'New International Version', LIFE APPLICATION BIBLE, which helps me see things very clearly in everyday life.
(For some reason, with homosexual clergy, it reminds me of 'The Good Sheperd': Christ is the good sheperd that looks after his sheep. Christ's parable becomes, 'The wolf, -satan looks after his sheep.)

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
<b>"Christians--DO YOU STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD?"
"Are you studying God's word, and if not, then why ?"
</b>
(IMHO).....I believe that it is because there is not a love for God in the heart and wanting to learn and know all there is to know about Him and what it is to please Him in their life..... it is all about a relationship !

It's kind of like when two people meet and fall in love their desire is to deeply know all there is about that individual. Spending every minute of time in your life with them.
What they like/dislike, believe/don't believe, hobbies, what their goals in/for life. Having that desire in how to please that person who is special to them..... !!

And the same can be said about meeting a new friend.....

This is why people are falling for any and everything that is false about God. They do not know Him..... nor does His Spirit live in their heart. They have quench Him in teaching, guiding, and protecting them. Learning from Him through His word how to discern from all that would come to kill, steal, and destroy that of God in their life !!

Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. (Ps.37:4)

I always have loved this scripture...... as it was in the beginning of my walk, new founded relationship with Him. And one of the first things God spoke and gave to me the revelation as I was praying for more of God in my life and He led me to this scripture and I knew in my heart He was saying as I delighted myself in Him, He would give and show me more and more of a deeper love and knowledge in/of Him...... that was and still is the desire of my heart .....

Like I said, it's all about a relationship with Him..... and that faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God !! If we do not read and study His word our faith muscle will not grow and yes, we will be.... "tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting." (Eph.4:14) ...... that passes our way !!

Blessings Friend,
AMEN!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
God has given us His inspired Word for a reason -- "We are to study it to show ourselves approved of God; workmen that need not be ashamed .... rightly dividing the WORD OF TRUTH."

In my 30+ years as a Bible teacher/preacher, I've seen a real shift among Christians AWAY from studying and 'rightly dividing' God's Word of Truth. These days, we are told to study all manner of videos and church programs, to look within ourselves for truth, to 'self-actuate' truth, to study all kinds of religions to discover truth, etc., etc. God's Word, the Bible, is God's Word! --- Those who say otherwise are really standing against an overwhelming flood of evidence ... and in fact, denying the written Word provided by God throughout the ages, through His prophets.

Additional proofs: "No prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation" (forget interpretations and new age thinking ... and study the scriptures) --- "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine, reproof and correction .... so the man of God may be perfectly equipped in the things of God" (study the scriptures; God's inspired Word ... God was able to inspire His Word, just as He is able to keep His Word inspired).

Where is the generation going that rejects God's Word, the Bible? .... They are the generation that "will not endure sound doctrine" .... the generation in which "every man desires to be his own God." --- It's hard to imagine that a "Christian Forum" has so many professing Christians advising others to ignore the Bible, but, that is what seems to be happening. Perhaps this is the "falling away of the church" prophesied in the Last Days.

If you are going to 'fall away', ... then fall away from worldly teachings and vain philosophies; fall away from the devices of the enemy; fall away from anything that would lead you away from God's truth and Word.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,767 times
I do study and agree that is it extremely important that we as Christians study the Word of God and grow in the knowledge of Christ. However, I don't agree that "all Christians are required" to study. Should we study and mature? Absolutely, but to present it as a requirement floats on that thin line of works that I people often stumble on. Please know, that for our sake to be able to 'stand' know the Word is indeed extremely important. Also, I believe to live the abundant life that Christ came for us to have, you must know the Word and build on your faith. I just don't want those new in Christ or "baby Christians" to feel condemned or burdened to have to study. No, no one should feel burdened to study the Word, nor should they feel condemned if they don't. IMHB (belief).

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
God has given us His inspired Word for a reason -- "We are to study it to show ourselves approved of God; workmen that need not be ashamed .... rightly dividing the WORD OF TRUTH."

In my 30+ years as a Bible teacher/preacher, I've seen a real shift among Christians AWAY from studying and 'rightly dividing' God's Word of Truth. These days, we are told to study all manner of videos and church programs, to look within ourselves for truth, to 'self-actuate' truth, to study all kinds of religions to discover truth, etc., etc. God's Word, the Bible, is God's Word! --- Those who say otherwise are really standing against an overwhelming flood of evidence ... and in fact, denying the written Word provided by God throughout the ages, through His prophets.

Additional proofs: "No prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation" (forget interpretations and new age thinking ... and study the scriptures) --- "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine, reproof and correction .... so the man of God may be perfectly equipped in the things of God" (study the scriptures; God's inspired Word ... God was able to inspire His Word, just as He is able to keep His Word inspired).

Where is the generation going that rejects God's Word, the Bible? .... They are the generation that "will not endure sound doctrine" .... the generation in which "every man desires to be his own God." --- It's hard to imagine that a "Christian Forum" has so many professing Christians advising others to ignore the Bible, but, that is what seems to be happening. Perhaps this is the "falling away of the church" prophesied in the Last Days.

If you are going to 'fall away', ... then fall away from worldly teachings and vain philosophies; fall away from the devices of the enemy; fall away from anything that would lead you away from God's truth and Word.
You are so right, my friend. I've never seen so many Christians in one place rejecting the Bible.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Hi Antredd,
In this verse, "study" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means "strive" to show thyself approved.
Young's Literal translation renders it thus: "be diligent to present thyself approved to God."
Bible studies have nothing to do with this verse. Studying the Bible all day and all night will not give you God's Spirit. The Bible is only a testimony; it is NOT God's Word, which has existed since before the world began. "Every word of God" means DIRECT, from HIS mouth into YOUR heart.
Neither is there a verse that tells you which version to buy, how much to pay for it, how to get a discount, where to get a concordance, etc...
Imo, of course..
Blessings,
brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
AMEN Brian...it is those who know this who will truly connect to God and become ONE...for one can only find the true connection to God from WITHIN...not from reading a book.
Amen!
Quote:
Our lives don't depend on the bread of letters, even though they can be of help. What our lives depend upon is the same thing that gave us Life in the first place: the Living Word.
The Living Word is not a 1,000-page book on sale at your local bookstore. The Living Word is within every man, woman and child at birth. This is because it is this same Living Word that put the Universe into motion, including little ol' you and me.
THAT Living Word is what we depend upon. Bible study is good; hearing the knowing the Living Word is better.
The Spirit always trumps the letter.
Aisi, of course...
Blessings.
brian
The Living Word of God is Jesus Christ, period . . . and He abides with us as His Holy Spirit to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts." Learn to listen for Him within your consciousness when you are quiet and still. There will be no doubt.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!The Living Word of God is Jesus Christ, period . . . and He abides with us as His Holy Spirit to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts." Learn to listen for Him within your consciousness when you are quiet and still. There will be no doubt.
So, all we need to do is pray & meditate on Jesus, & we'll learn all we need to know? Do I understand you correctly?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, all we need to do is pray & meditate on Jesus, & we'll learn all we need to know? Do I understand you correctly?
Why do you have to try to reduce everything to ONE aspect? It is a stupid tactic and is never correct!. But if you want to know God's true nature, Jesus Christ will lead you to the truth, not words "written in ink." The OT tells us all about Christ coming and how to identify and validate Him. Jesus tells us what God is like and what we need to do . . . "love God and each other." He promised to abide with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) would guide us to the truth we seek. IF you don't believe His promise or that He abides with us today or that His Holy Spirit will guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" . . . you can continue to rely on words "written in ink" at your own peril.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded:(Blind Mind = ignorance) for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (the Heart) shall turn to the Lord,(Christ) the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit:(Holy Spirit) and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Wow, thanks for the kind response.

So, I'm not supposed to rely on the written word, and to prove your point, you quote Scripture.

Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

For the record, I do rely on the Holy Spirit, which indwells me (and all believers), to know the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity