Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Yes Do not follow the traditions of man...follow the Word of God in all of His TRUTH!
Thesolonians 2:15?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I hate it when I have to do all the work. Why can't people post the actual verse instead of making us look it up!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Yes brakelite. I hope that everyone will go to the Word of The Living God so that they might better understand what HE is saying. Do not follow the traditions of man...follow the Word of God in all of His TRUTH!
Quote:
And your question is? billb....? You think 1 Thess. 2:15 states otherwise...?...that it is stating that whatever anyone may tell you, whether it contradicts God's Holy Word or not, you should listen to and believe it...?...that whether it goes against what God, through the Holy Spirit of Christ, spoke through the prophets of old and our ancient forefathers, or not, you are to listen to and believe it...? Is this what you are trying to say without saying it out right...? LOL...!...you use God's word to imply that He would that you would listen to the lies of Satan and NOT Him...?...is this what you are suggesting billb...? Dear God. Read your Bible sir...open it and really read it, with your whole heart...stop posting things that you know absolutely nothing about...false teachers will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven billb! remember that!

Ironically, this passage is stating that the BRETHREN [those who keep the Commandments of God who God calles His beloved...those who obey His word in deed...His saints..the born again!], who are filled with the Holy Spirit and are able to read and comprehend His written word and DO! His will by obeying His commands!...<<<THESE! the written word! Scripture! the passage in which you posted! ARE! the traditions of God! NOT! man! in which true believing Christians hold tighly onto and follow!

IN OTHER WORDS! if what comes out of the mouth of another does not agree with God's word......RUN FROM IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Praying for you,
Verna.

Titus 1:9 He [the child of God who obeys Him!] must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 PM

You apeal to the Bible as your lone authority, but nowhere in the Bible does it say to do that. The implication in Thes 2:15 is that not everthing was written down. At some point everyone is appealing to some tradition of Man whether they want to admit it or not.

SDA - Ellen G White

Protestants - Calvin and Luther

Baptists- John Smyth.....etc..

LDS - Joesph Smith

Catholics 2000 years of Apostolic succession via the Pope.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
You apeal to the Bible as your lone authority, but nowhere in the Bible does it say to do that. The implication in Thes 2:15 is that not everthing was written down.
The implication of Thess. 2:15 is that what they [the beloved of God who obey His commandments] learned God's truth from Scripture and THEN! taught it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb
At some point everyone is appealing to some tradition of Man whether they want to admit it or not.
...and you are a follower of those who keep the traditions of man instead of God....if they jumped off a cliff would you do it too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb
SDA - Ellen G White

LDS - Joesph Smith

...you've got that ALMOST right!..but allow me to correct you...no, not everyone...just some appeal to the traditions of man!...not all! I do not!...and neither do a remnant of others who hold to God's truth and keep God's commandments! I am part of the "they" spoken of in Thes 2:15...who live for the hope of an eternal life with Him.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Are we all our own authority then? You just intrepret what you want to beleive? What's to stop someone from coming up with some lunatict intrepretation of Scripture and truly believing he is correct?

You seem to be making a "Bible alone" argument, but the Bible doesnt teach that.. in fact the word "Bible" is nowhere to be found in the Bible because the cannon wasn't assembled for another 300 years by the Catholic Church.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Are we all our own authority then? You just intrepret what you want to beleive? What's to stop someone from coming up with some lunatict intrepretation of Scripture and truly believing he is correct?

You seem to be making a "Bible alone" argument, but the Bible doesnt teach that.. in fact the word "Bible" is nowhere to be found in the Bible because the cannon wasn't assembled for another 300 years by the Catholic Church.
B-I-B-L-E = S C R I P T U R E .

S-C-R-I-P-T-U-R-E = A S A C R E D W R I T T I N G O R B O O K ; especially the HOLY Scripture. A code of regulations. From Latin - the ACT OF WRITING. To WRITE.

SCRIPTURE IS! in the Bible, and you would know all this if you read it. It is quite revealing the time you spend in the Holy Scriptures.

Jesus said, "It is written..." when He rebuked the temptations of Satan! What do you think Jesus meant by "It is written...?"....SCRIPTURES!!! Jesus quoted from the Book of Isaiah! Scripture!!!

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16.
Nowhere does it say "only" scriputre is useful for those things, what about prayer? Besides, what about the 300 years that elapsed before the canon was assembled? What were those early Christians to do? I would argue they were holding fast to the traditions that were taught to them, just as Paul teaches the Thessolonians to do.

Nowhere in the Bible does it teach us that the Bible is the only authority.. the implication is that a lot of stuff wasn't written down. Jesus never instructed the Apostles to write anything down, he instructed them to go out and preach.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You apeal to the Bible as your lone authority, but nowhere in the Bible does it say to do that. The implication in Thes 2:15 is that not everthing was written down. At some point everyone is appealing to some tradition of Man whether they want to admit it or not.

SDA - Ellen G White

LDS - Joesph Smith

You're right about the fact that the Bible does not even remotely imply that it is the final word. You're also right that everybody does look to the teachings of mere men to help them understand the words that were recorded by God's prophets and apostles. I suspect that the Catholics and the LDS are pretty much the only ones who will admit to it, though.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Nowhere does it say "only" scriputre is useful for those things, what about prayer?
that's right. Furthermore, the word "scripture" is never defined as meaning "the 66 books in the Protestant Bible."

Quote:
Besides, what about the 300 years that elapsed before the canon was assembled? What were those early Christians to do? I would argue they were holding fast to the traditions that were taught to them, just as Paul teaches the Thessolonians to do.
And that's just scratching the surface of the issue. I wonder how many Christians have so much as a clue how many times "the canon" has changed over the centuries. "The canon" of the 5th century is not the same as "the canon" of today. And the Catholic canon is not the same as the Protestant canon.

Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible does it teach us that the Bible is the only authority.. the implication is that a lot of stuff wasn't written down. Jesus never instructed the Apostles to write anything down, he instructed them to go out and preach.
Implied? John comes right out and says that if everything Jesus did had been written down, all of the books in the world could not hold the record.

But we digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity