Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,375 times

Advertisements

I made this thread in particular due to my last thread, in which ChristyGrl had brought up a specific parable that Jesus had used to describe how all were treated equal in the eyes of God. The parable goes like this:

Matthew 20:1
""For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard"2.And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.3.And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,4.And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.5.Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.6.And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?7.They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.8.So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.9.And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.10.But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.11.And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,12.Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.13.But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?14.Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.15.Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?16.So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

O.K. first, it starts with the kingdom of heaven being compared with a householder who went in the early morning to find laborers. Who will be rewarded for their WORK in the vineyard by means of a penny a day!! I am assuming this person looking for workers for his vineyard (or kingdom) is God. The agreement made for a penny a day by the early laborers represents those who lived long lives and put in much, much, work for the Lord. The agreement made for whatsoever is right with the rest of the laborers represents those who were young in their works for the Lord. This householder (or God), did not look for laborers in only the early time, but throughout this whole day that we call time!!! God is plainly showing us that He never stops looking for laborers for His kingdom. Regardless of the covenant we are all rewarded equally for our WORKS. I did not read the scripture that said that the householder will reward all men a penny regardless if they worked in his vineyard or satan's....

In fact... there is one scripture in the parable that reads:

MATTHEW 20:14
"Take that thine is, AND GO THY WAY: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee."

The reward for ALL workers is entrance into the kingdom. Whether you did work for the Lord for 60 years of your life or 3 weeks of your life, it was not in vain. You will be rewarded!! Many will not want to do WORKS for their reward, they will want to be rewarded while standing idle, or even while serving another master!!

Which is why this final verse was added:

MATTHEW 20:16
"So the last shall be first, and the first last: FOR MANY WILL BE CALLED, BUT FEW CHOSEN."

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I made this thread in particular due to my last thread, in which ChristyGrl had brought up a specific parable that Jesus had used to describe how all were treated equal in the eyes of God. The parable goes like this:

""For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard"2.And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.3.And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,4.And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.5.Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.6.And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?7.They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.8.So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.9.And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.10.But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.11.And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,12.Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.13.But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?14.Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.15.Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?16.So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

O.K. first, it starts with the kingdom of heaven being compared with a householder who went in the early morning to find laborers. Who will be rewarded for their WORK in the vineyard by means of a penny a day!! I am assuming this person looking for workers for his vineyard (or kingdom) is God. The agreement made for a penny a day by the early laborers represents those who lived long lives and put in much, much, work for the Lord. The agreement made for whatsoever is right with the rest of the laborers represents those who were young in their works for the Lord. This householder (or God), did not look for laborers in only the early time, but throughout this whole day that we call time!!! God is plainly showing us that He never stops looking for laborers for His kingdom. Regardless of the covenant we are all rewarded equally for our WORKS. I did not read the scripture that said that the householder will reward all men a penny regardless if they worked in his vineyard or satan's....

"Take that thine is, AND GO THY WAY: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee."

The reward for ALL workers is entrance into the kingdom. Whether you did work for the Lord for 60 years of your life or 3 weeks of your life, it was not in vain. You will be rewarded!! Many will not want to do WORKS for their reward, they will want to be rewarded while standing idle, or even while serving another master!!

"So the last shall be first, and the first last: FOR MANY WILL BE CALLED, BUT FEW CHOSEN."

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Dale...what is your understanding of this particular verse? What does it take to be chosen to enter into the Kindgom?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Dale...what is your understanding of this particular verse? What does it take to be chosen to enter into the Kindgom?
It takes God's Holy Spirit working in you!!

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Last edited by ALMOST2L8; 05-27-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
It takes God's Holy Spirit working in you!!

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
OK...now give me your understanding of how the Spirit works in you.

I have a point to all of this and will make it...eventually.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 PM

22 posts, read 23,999 times
Quote:

Just want to interject here, I believe the parable is talking about those who have worked for 60 years to the end of their life, or the LAST three weeks of their life.

I wanted to add that just so it isn't confused with having once worked a total of three weeks and then you quit.

Great post btw

Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
I do not think that this parable is about the kingdom of heaven being something that happens after this life and, open to every living person, that we need to enter into it before death, .......

In another parable we see that the children of the kingdom will be thrown out into outer darkness

Mat 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Also if you look at the word called, that is contrasted with chosen, it means appointed and in scripture is used in that sense

G2822
κλητός
klētos
klay-tos'
From the same as G2821; invited, that is, appointed, or (specifically) a saint: - called.

this is all the times that it is used and does not have the meaning that you seem to be giving it.

Mat 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
Mat 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
Rom 1:6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
Rom 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

I believe that the parable is contrasting the different dispensations, The Israelites were chosen for a purpose, Jesus is Gods chosen, there are those that are chosen to be ambassadors for "priests and kings" -- the chosen have a purpose to fulfill, and are not the only ones "saved"

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

This ruling is tending as shepherd

G4165
ποιμαίνω
poimainō
poy-mah'ee-no
From G4166; to tend as a shepherd (or figuratively superviser): - feed (cattle), rule.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Default "The Parable of the Workers in the Field"

To me, this parable symbolizes the absence of "Love for another that would resonate with the faith in God's divine justice" as in the other two parables of the same message.

Matthew 20:11-12 And when they had received it, they "murmured" against the good man of the house.
Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

I have likened the ^^^ to those who have an elitist mindset that claim to have "the truth" simply because they hold a degree in higher theology, or that they follow God's commandments without missteps....

AISI...we are all equally given the holy spirit to sense and understand God's love for mankind...believer and non-believer alike. (we should ponder upon this message reflectively.)

Matthew 21:28-31 "Parable of the Two Sons"
But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son go work today in my vineyard.
And he answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
And he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go sir: and went not.
Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first.

Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

^^^A manifestation of deceptive empty words!

Luke 15:11-31 "Parable of the Lost Son"
And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends. But as soon as thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatter calf.

And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

This passage is reflective of those...who, like the righteous son, do not yet understanding how profound God's love for both the righteous and the lost...equally.

Thus, their cry goes..."we and only we know the way!" So sad.

Peace....

Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Good post meerkat, and may I add to your thought in conclusion....
Matt 21:43 Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolair View Post
Just want to interject here, I believe the parable is talking about those who have worked for 60 years to the end of their life, or the LAST three weeks of their life.

I wanted to add that just so it isn't confused with having once worked a total of three weeks and then you quit.

Great post btw
That was exactly what I meant!!! Thank you Sir!! Or Madam!!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
for many be called, but few chosen
Who are the called that are many, and the chosen that are few? I have an idea on this but am curious to see what you all think.

Great thread btw.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity