Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is Acts 10:34 a lie?
yes- he does play favorites 1 7.69%
No- he doesn't play favorites 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM

811 posts, read 810,598 times

Advertisements

there seems to be a flood of "God hates some and loves some" threads of late so let's get it out in the open that game doesn't not show favortism
Acts 10:34 says it all 34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM

672 posts, read 665,566 times
Can you define favortism ?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Can you define favortism ?
Having a favorite...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
I like the KJV translation better for this question, as it does not call into question exactly what God is saying: God is not a respecter of persons.

See: Romans 2:11 and Colossians 3:24-25 and Ephesians 6:8-10

Basically, it doesn't matter who you are here on earth; what worldly position you have; what others think of you. In the eyes of God we are all equal. This is why is it written we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Each and every single one of us... from the Pope to the pauper in the street. We all need Jesus to reconcile us to God so that through Christ Jesus we can be made spotless.

It doesn't matter what sin one is bound by or has committed. In God's eyes, sin is sin and sin is punishable by death. The only way to avoid this is to repent and accept Jesus and his sacrificial atonement on the cross so that we may be clothed with grace and righteousness ... not of ourselves of from Christ himself so that we may dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,093 times
I think the reason people have that mentality is most likely because they've made life decisions that were unwise or came from bad environments so they want to blame God for it.

P.S. I'm not referring to specific decisions. It can be any unwise decision. (e.g. Getting involved with the wrong kind of friends, getyin involved in drugs, alcoholism, etc.)

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Having a favorite...

Well, God has a Favorite, listen to Deut 7:

6For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM

So God does have His Favorites. The thing is though, His favorites are not determined by anything about them.

Whereas respect of persons is when we choose one because of something about them that distinguishes them from others. God does not do that.

He does not for instance choose a people based upon ethnicity, that would be respect of persons.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
So God does have His Favorites. The thing is though, His favorites are not determined by anything about them.

Whereas respect of persons is when we choose one because of something about them that distinguishes them from others. God does not do that.

He does not for instance choose a people based upon ethnicity, that would be respect of persons.
Here is my understanding of the term respecter: The Greek word is προσωποληπτης and means to receive ones "face" over that of another. This Greek word is derived from the word προσωποληπτέω, which means to show partiality of one over another.

So you're right, God does not see a person based upon their ethnicity (face) or other traits they've received through creation, but rather God sees all people alike. Nor is God partial to one group of people over another, such as Israel over the Gentiles. So much for election being founded upon man. Election is not really about men (plural), but rather about one person (singular). That person being Christ, who has preeminence in all things.

Isa 42:1 BEHOLD my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Psa 89:19 Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people.

Those in Christ are elect by headship, not by anything of them or based upon anything they do.

And who are those in Christ? Subjectively speaking, all who believe. However, objectively speaking, all men are in Christ. For we all live, move and have our being in Him, in Christ:

Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Job 12:10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

Col 1:17 and himself is before all, and the all things in him have consisted.

God is also said to be the God of the spirits of all flesh:

Num 16:22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

Here, a clear testimony is given that all subjectively will be brought to spiritual life, in time, in Christ.

Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

However, as yet, not all are subjectively alive in Christ, but all are called so, objectively, as though they were:

Rom 4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

As such, we are to know no man according to the flesh, but rather as as though they were, elect in Christ:

2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
I think god tends to hate 3rd world countries

Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
There is NO question about THIS thing. YHVH the creator of the universe LOVES "Obedience" and renders blessings to those that ARE Obedient. It is throughout scripture from the beginning to the end. How anyone misses or dismisses this is beyond my comprehension. Before Messiah was on the earth enfleshed as the WORD, MANY were given favor, blessed and no doubt WILL be in the age to come. Avraham for starters. Noah didn't do so bad. Even in spite of his failings King David was dubbed "after YHVH's own heart" as he was given favor AND grace even though he sinned. A couple of passages come to mind that transcend all your goings on about how without Messiah we have NOTHING. NOT so.

(Act 2:21) ‘And it shall be that everyone who calls on the Name of YHVH shall be saved.

(Joh 5:24) “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me possesses everlasting life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

You xtians keep giving the credit to Messiah when Messiah gave the credit to the Father as it should be. ALL comes from the father YHVH, the source of all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity