Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:52 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

For belivers only please.....

Is there anything that could possibly change your mind about the views you hold now?

This is a serious thread. Be advised that any post that dosnt contribute positively to this thread will be reported
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:59 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Is there anything that could possibly change your mind about the views you hold now?

This is a serious thread. Be advised that any post that dosnt contribute positively to this thread will be reported
It would be like trying to convince oneself that 1+1=3.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Yes i believe in Jesus Christ and i can honestly say by the grace of God who awakened me from the coma that fundamental christianity(accepting without question all that it serves up) put me under, i now believe nothing like i did when i first believed.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
It would be difficult for any one thing to invalidate a complex set of beliefs based in many events.

Still I guess if Vishnu appeared to me, and convinced me he's not simply a guardian angel of the Hindu people but is in fact the Supreme God, that would by definition change my mind. I obviously don't think that can happen. Other possibility is I die and go to an afterlife I don't believe in. Like the Chinese folk notion of the afterlife with "Ancestor Money" and the like. Don't think of that happening either.

More "down to Earth" if somehow a body was found that was inarguably Jesus's. Again I don't think that's plausible.

It's starting to storm here so I better leave.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Well, if I died and learned I'd been wrong all my life, I'd undoubtedly change my views. Would you?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
I once thought that changing my belief about ET (which greatly disturbed me) was impossible. But I was wrong. All things are possible with God. God knows good and well that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father in heaven. Whether or not someone believes that or not does not change the fact of it.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Revelation.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Default So did the rich man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, if I died and learned I'd been wrong all my life, I'd undoubtedly change my views. Would you?
Here's a parable that I would like you to read and try to understand:

Luke 16:19-31 "Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, living in luxury every day. A certain beggar, named Lazarus, was laid at his gate, full of sores, and desiring to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores. It happened that the beggar died, and that he was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried. In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom. He cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.
"But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received your good things, and Lazarus, in like manner, bad things. But now here he is comforted and you are in anguish. Besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass from here to you are not able, and that none may cross over from there to us.
He said, 'I ask you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house; for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, so they won’t also come into this place of torment.'
"But Abraham said to him,
'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them'.
"He said, 'No, father Abraham, but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent'.
"He said to him, 'If they don’t listen to Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded if one rises from the dead.'

With all due respect. What did you gather from this parable?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Here's a parable that I would like you to read and try to understand:

Luke 16:19-31 "Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, living in luxury every day. A certain beggar, named Lazarus, was laid at his gate, full of sores, and desiring to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores. It happened that the beggar died, and that he was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried. In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom. He cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.
"But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received your good things, and Lazarus, in like manner, bad things. But now here he is comforted and you are in anguish. Besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass from here to you are not able, and that none may cross over from there to us.
He said, 'I ask you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house; for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, so they won’t also come into this place of torment.'
"But Abraham said to him,
'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them'.
"He said, 'No, father Abraham, but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent'.
"He said to him, 'If they don’t listen to Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded if one rises from the dead.'

With all due respect. What did you gather from this parable?
With all due respect? Hmmm... Judging from those preliminary words, I'd have to say -- with all due respect, Betsey, that I probably didn't gather the same thing from it as you did. What did you hope I'd gather from it?

Seriously, isn't the whole point of this thread the concept that you might be wrong in what you believe? If I'm wrong about what I believe, I'll be willing to admit it. Can you say the same? Or is it simply inconceivable that this could be the case? At this point, I am confident in my beliefs and I can't think of anything that would change my mind. With irrefutable evidence to the contrary, though, I wouldn't be so stubborn that I'd pretend it didn't exist.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-18-2011 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
With all due respect? Hmmm... Judging from those preliminary words, I'd have to say -- with all due respect, Betsey, that I probably didn't gather the same thing from it as you did. What did you hope I'd gather from it?

Seriously, isn't the whole point of this thread the concept that you might be wrong in what you believe? If I'm wrong about what I believe, I'll be willing to admit it. Can you say the same? Or is it simply inconceivable that this could be the case? At this point, I am confident in my beliefs and I can't think of anything that would change my mind. With irrefutable evidence to the contrary, though, I wouldn't be so stubborn that I'd pretend it didn't exist.
And this confidence you proclaim....lies solely in Jesus Christ right? For this is the only assurety there is, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity