Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times

Advertisements

A bit of history. It is my custom to give to beggars who ask. Not the fellows with the signs that say "will work for money" or "Help this vet, God bless" at the stoplight. Nope they gotta walk up to me and ask. Kind of a deal that God convicted me of a number of years back. So I give the beggar gets the smallest bill in my wallet. Sometimes it is a a fiver, some times it a 20. I really don't care if they spend the money on food or booze. That's their problem. My part is to give. And...the requests really aren't that often.

But here is my story. Was three yeas ago. I work for the County. Wuz heading to my truck to do some home visits and this gal walks up and says, "can you spare some change?" I grumble a bit at the delay. Cost me half a minute. Gave her a fiver. She said "God Bless". I got in my truck, looked back at the parking lot-saw no one. Odd, but gave it no thought.

Heading down the highway and saw this big dust clould. Came up to a bad accident that just happened. Dang I thought. Coulda been me if I was at that place a half a minute sooner.

Then...I ..remembered...the beggar.

So It remains my custom to give to whomever asks. But it does have to be a personal request. Face to face. I still won't give to those at the stoplight with the sign. And quite frankly I really don't care what they do with the money. Not my concern. My concern is giving to the beggar who asks.

My story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Nice thread Mr 5150

When approached for money I give if I have it..Most of the time I just do it without wondering why or what the persons circumstance is..just seems to me not to question whether I am doing someone a favor or not. There have been a few times when I did feel a certain reluctance to "donate" so I didn't. I always listen and trust my "inner voice"

I have followed my "intuitions" for years and many times ,because I did, I avoided a very unpleasant situation.

Angels watchin over me for sure..

Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A bit of history. It is my custom to give to beggars who ask. Not the fellows with the signs that say "will work for money" or "Help this vet, God bless" at the stoplight. Nope they gotta walk up to me and ask. Kind of a deal that God convicted me of a number of years back. So I give the beggar gets the smallest bill in my wallet. Sometimes it is a a fiver, some times it a 20. I really don't care if they spend the money on food or booze. That's their problem. My part is to give. And...the requests really aren't that often.

But here is my story. Was three yeas ago. I work for the County. Wuz heading to my truck to do some home visits and this gal walks up and says, "can you spare some change?" I grumble a bit at the delay. Cost me half a minute. Gave her a fiver. She said "God Bless". I got in my truck, looked back at the parking lot-saw no one. Odd, but gave it no thought.

Heading down the highway and saw this big dust clould. Came up to a bad accident that just happened. Dang I thought. Coulda been me if I was at that place a half a minute sooner.

Then...I ..remembered...the beggar.

So It remains my custom to give to whomever asks. But it does have to be a personal request. Face to face. I still won't give to those at the stoplight with the sign. And quite frankly I really don't care what they do with the money. Not my concern. My concern is giving to the beggar who asks.

My story.
I gave to a begger all the money I had, about 70 dollars. I prayed and wanted to give in the name of the Lord, which means, I called him over and I talked with him about Christ, and he prayed with me and then I gave him the money. Not every one needs to pray with me before I will help them but this is one time that it worked out that way. I was living in the back of a truck that I had set up as a camper at the time and I was unemployed. That very afternoon when I got home from praying with the begger a man came to me that I had never met before and gave me a job as a full partner building houses for the summer!!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Nice thread Mr 5150

When approached for money I give if I have it..Most of the time I just do it without wondering why or what the persons circumstance is..just seems to me not to question whether I am doing someone a favor or not. There have been a few times when I did feel a certain reluctance to "donate" so I didn't. I always listen and trust my "inner voice"

I have followed my "intuitions" for years and many times ,because I did, I avoided a very unpleasant situation.

Angels watchin over me for sure..
Ya never know. These days I allow the delays. What's a minute or two in the scheme of things? Not much in the negative. Could be something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I gave to a begger all the money I had, about 70 dollars. I prayed and wanted to give in the name of the Lord, which means, I called him over and I talked with him about Christ, and he prayed with me and then I gave him the money. Not every one needs to pray with me before I will help them but this is one time that it worked out that way. I was living in the back of a truck that I had set up as a camper at the time and I was unemployed. That very afternoon when I got home from praying with the begger a man came to me that I had never met before and gave me a job as a full partner building houses for the summer!!!!
Yep. I am not a cripple (not a very PC term ) and you became employed. I smile when I think about it.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,068 times
I find it hard to refuse when someone on the street asks me for money, despite the likelihood that they will use it to get drugs or booze. A better idea than giving money is actually going to a coffee shop with the person and sharing something.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ya never know. These days I allow the delays. What's a minute or two in the scheme of things? Not much in the negative. Could be something good.

Yep. I am not a cripple (not a very PC term ) and you became employed. I smile when I think about it.
I am puzzled by the statement: I am not a cripple (not a very PC term ) and you became employed. Can you explain please.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:42 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I am puzzled by the statement: I am not a cripple (not a very PC term ) and you became employed. Can you explain please.

He means that he avoided a serious accident by taking the time to give to the beggar and that you received a job because of your generosity.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
The last time I was approached for money I said no. But I felt really bad about it afterwards but honestly this girl was in the wrong parking lot to be asking for money. It was a Goodwill, I had about 2 dollars to my name and I'm on a fixed income......I need someone to help me!!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Do you remember this exchange:
"a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”

Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
I don't give money when asked. If I have an extra 5..it goes to Jesus via the offering to help our missionairies to help preach the gospel throughout the world (and in the US).

As far the avoidance aspect... that could have very well been the case. However, since God see's, knows and determines everybody's time, what may have been avoidance for you could have been someone's end of time of grace. It's the double sword concept that Jesus talks about himself being....he cuts both ways........ "but you will not always have me."

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-24-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
He means that he avoided a serious accident by taking the time to give to the beggar and that you received a job because of your generosity.
Very clear now. Thank you Ilene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity