Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Because the bible has been reedited, reedited and reedited some more. The actual stories of Jesus were not even recorded in His time and were later written no less than 70 years after His death. No one can remember word for word what was said. People today interpret it in their own view and teach it to their congregations.

It really doesn't matter anyway because the path to God isn't Jesus the man and about His life, the path to God is in the teachings of Jesus and how Jesus lived His life.
And THAT is something Christians just don't get!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Because the bible has been reedited, reedited and reedited some more. The actual stories of Jesus were not even recorded in His time and were later written no less than 70 years after His death. No one can remember word for word what was said. People today interpret it in their own view and teach it to their congregations.

It really doesn't matter anyway because the path to God isn't Jesus the man and about His life, the path to God is in the teachings of Jesus and how Jesus lived His life.

So, how do you know the stories of even His existance haven't been edited and re-edited? If you don't trust what the Bible tells of Him, how can even trust that He's real?

And, in any case, how does one determine which parts of the Bible are to be believed and which aren't? It seems rather selective to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, how do you know the stories of even His existance haven't been edited and re-edited? If you don't trust what the Bible tells of Him, how can even trust that He's real?

And, in any case, how does one determine which parts of the Bible are to be believed and which aren't? It seems rather selective to me.

Are we not given the spirit TO GUIDE US INTO ALL TRUTH???????????

Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I can tell you many things I learned that are not in the bible.

I learned how to drive
I learned how to walk
I learned how to talk
I learned how to feed myself

According to you I should not have been allowed to learn these things as they are not in the bible.
And you see those things as spiritual truths which are profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness?

Really?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
According to Fin we can't know God through the things He created, only through the bible can we know Him. Seem Fin does not agree with everything in the bible either
Now you are misrepresenting me.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Reverend111 : It really doesn't matter anyway because the path to God isn't Jesus the man and about His life, the path to God is in the teachings of Jesus and how Jesus lived His life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
And THAT is something Christians just don't get!!!!!!
What? How can you say that? You know it is not true.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What? How can you say that? You know it is not true.
It is true and you know it's true. The majority WORSHIP the man and simply IGNORE the path (which is not an easy path) he taught us to walk in to find God. Jesus doesn't require WORSHIP...he requires that we FOLLOW HIM IN THE PATH HE WAS WALKING. Easy BELIEVEISM is the basic mantra of Christianity today.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

My reasoning is along these lines. Rulers claimed deity in ancient times because it gave them special status, complete authority. That was simply the mindset of the day. It seems entirely possible that early Christians endowed Jesus with deity (virgin birth, etc.) for that reason... not necessarily as deliberate deception, but because that's how their minds filtered the information about Jesus. But those stories also seem likely to me to have been based on someone real, someone who really did speak with authority and insight that was striking and impactful, or people wouldn't have built Jesus up to deity status in their own minds.

As far as what teachings are to be believed ... if it doesn't seem to fit with Love, then for me it is suspect. Doesn't mean I assume the passage itself needs to be discarded, but that the meaning of it may have been so mangled by tradition that it may take time & effort to detach from that tradition enough to be able to see it for what it really says.

I do not know what to believe about the deity of Jesus, how factual the record of his life and death are, or even his resurrection. But I do see those things as having truth in a symbolic way, even if they are not literally true. Personally, I'd be thrilled to find out that they are true in both regards but I am learning to live with uncertainty in that regard.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Now you are misrepresenting me.
I do think it's a misunderstanding of what you've said. If I'm getting you, Finn, your opinion is not that people can't come to faith in Christ without the Bible, but that once they have, they will accept the bible as their authority ... is that accurate?

However, even if we knew for a fact that the bible had survived 100% without error or change over the last 2000 years , the truth is that the plethora of conflicting traditions and interpretations of it, including the translators' bias, have so distorted and confused the meaning for many that it isn't surprising that they would step back from it. Even if it's just long enough to remove all the filters one has acquired from the traditions they've heard or been taught.

Further, those who come from different cultures or religious traditions may have a much more difficult time seeing the worth of the bible ... but that doesn't mean that God's Spirit is not within them as much as it is in any Christian, revealing truth to them in ways that they can comprehend.

God's Spirit is not confined to any book.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM

141 posts, read 125,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Are we not given the spirit TO GUIDE US INTO ALL TRUTH???????????
So sayeth everyone whose spiritual and biblical "truth" conflicts.

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come." Jn 16:12-13

This promise was given to the Apostles so that they could teach these truths to the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity