Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times

Advertisements

The real question is, Are you worried about the future of your religion?

I have no particular religious philosophy, but I believe we need religion to aid people in aspiring to be 'good, benevolent, and kind". We need religion to give us moral guidance. I am very concerned when I see Christianity being so denigrated and mocked, and that society is drifting into a selfish creed where anything goes, everything is relative.
I was raised Catholic. When I was of age, my mother allowed me to quit going to church, which I did. But I believe the teachings have guided me in being a good person, with relatively high morals and a kind nature toward all creatures. I don't like humans much, they are cruel and selfish, and growing moreso. Yes, Christians can be hypocrites, but so is everybody. I believe in vegetarianism, but I cheat sometimes and take a bite or 2. That is not a reflection on the belief system itself, but my frailty as a human being.
Anyway, I find myself defending Christians all the time, because you are being victimized and persecuted. Your belief system is good, we need you! Don't let them win.
I believe there is more than this planet and the material world. I choose to believe in a God, although I am remiss to use that term. Studying nature brings us closer, imo. I have always sought truth, but am also aware that there are things we are incapable of knowing. Having faith in something outside of ourselves is a good thing, it benefits society.
Does this make sense?
your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
I just got this email alert. If you aren't worried, you damn well ought to be.

Obama's lifting of the ban on homosexuals in the military, for example, has raised questions about the status of military chaplains who teach a biblical perspective of homosexuality.
At the time of his exile, Severo told WND that while Brazil does not criminalize Christianity, it regulates what biblical principles can and cannot be preached, and it bans biblical citations that disapprove of the homosexual lifestyle.
"Brazil grants freedom to preach Christianity, provided that the sermons avoid negative mentions of state-protected behaviors and cultural trends," Severo said at the time. "The Brazilian government is establishing more and more categories of protected behaviors, banning negative mentions. So Brazilian preachers need to get updated on the latest political changes and preach a Gospel according to the state interests."

Read more: Homeland Security surveillance detected on Christian website http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=327769#ixzz1Ti40HbGO

Old 07-31-2011, 12:48 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
No, I'm not worried about the future of Christianity......it has stood the test of time and still has a huge following and it's always growing. I know that in certain areas of the world Christians are severely persecuted but we are very fortunate in this country that we don't have to physically suffer or die for our beliefs. It may be challenging, but we're very blessed to be able to talk about it freely (for the most part) and worship however we please. Christianity is safe and it always will be. People may fall away from it but they will be drawn back at some point. God will draw ALL unto Himself.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

I have no particular religious philosophy, but I believe we need religion to aid people in aspiring to be 'good, benevolent, and kind". We need religion to give us moral guidance. I am very concerned when I see Christianity being so denigrated and mocked, and that society is drifting into a selfish creed where anything goes, everything is relative.
I was raised Catholic. When I was of age, my mother allowed me to quit going to church, which I did. But I believe the teachings have guided me in being a good person, with relatively high morals and a kind nature toward all creatures. I don't like humans much, they are cruel and selfish, and growing moreso. Yes, Christians can be hypocrites, but so is everybody. I believe in vegetarianism, but I cheat sometimes and take a bite or 2. That is not a reflection on the belief system itself, but my frailty as a human being.
Anyway, I find myself defending Christians all the time, because you are being victimized and persecuted. Your belief system is good, we need you! Don't let them win.
I believe there is more than this planet and the material world. I choose to believe in a God, although I am remiss to use that term. Studying nature brings us closer, imo. I have always sought truth, but am also aware that there are things we are incapable of knowing. Having faith in something outside of ourselves is a good thing, it benefits society.
Does this make sense?
your thoughts
We don't need "religion" which is generally man made and organized. What we do need is more personal spirituality...individuals seeking spirituality for themselves by looking within themselves for it...instead of to others.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
No, I'm not worried about the future of Christianity......it has stood the test of time and still has a huge following and it's always growing. I know that in certain areas of the world Christians are severely persecuted but we are very fortunate in this country that we don't have to physically suffer or die for our beliefs. It may be challenging, but we're very blessed to be able to talk about it freely (for the most part) and worship however we please. Christianity is safe and it always will be. People may fall away from it but they will be drawn back at some point. God will draw ALL unto Himself.
Christianity as taught by worldly minded men, will fail.
But the true and living Spirit will never fade away.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
I'm not worred about the future of my religion, but I know it has a lot of other Christians in a panic.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
I have no particular religious philosophy, but I believe we need religion to aid people in aspiring to be 'good, benevolent, and kind". We need religion to give us moral guidance.
So without religion you think everyone would be bad??

Quote:
I just got this email alert. If you aren't worried, you damn well ought to be.

Obama's lifting of the ban on homosexuals in the military, for example, has raised questions about the status of military chaplains who teach a biblical perspective of homosexuality.
Good for him!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Not at all. I have no physical association with any religion to be worried about it's future. What i am joined to and associated with is Spirit.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
Quote:

Does this make sense?
your thoughts
Funny you should say that. My best-friend is Wiccan and I'm Christian. She has said much of the same as you.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:

Does this make sense?
your thoughts
I believe your heart is in the right place. You said you have always sought truth, you really don't really have to go far to find it, just look at the Life of Jesus Christ and you will know THE Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity