Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,387,495 times

Advertisements

Seriously. We know we are here for a limited time. I was thinking of this because I just found out, through FB, of 4 friends who have died VERY EARLY, leaving young kids...one was cancer, one was a massive heart attack, and the other two, I don't know yet.

Do we fear death because:
(1) we know what we have now, be it good and/or bad, and don't want to know about a different "scenario?"
(2) we don't think we are going "someplace better" after this life?

Let's just DISCUSS. Please skip the biblical quotations. Some people get carried away with these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Default "For me to die is gain!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. We know we are here for a limited time. I was thinking of this because I just found out, through FB, of 4 friends who have died VERY EARLY, leaving young kids...one was cancer, one was a massive heart attack, and the other two, I don't know yet.

(1) we know what we have now, be it good and/or bad, and don't want to know about a different "scenario?"

Let's just DISCUSS. Please skip the biblical quotations. Some people get carried away with these.
Few Christians I know, including myself, are worried (or even concerned) about death. What makes you think they are? --- Most Christian funerals evolve into a true 'celebration of life', not a dirge. (Frankly, it is really difficult to conduct funerals for non-believers! --- What can one say in a situation where there really is no future hope beyond the grave?).

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 03-15-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Few Christians I know, including myself, are worried (or even concerned) about death. What makes you think they are? --- Most Christian funerals evolve into a true 'celebration of life', not a dirge. (Frankly, it is really difficult to conduct funerals for non-believers! --- What can one say in a situation where there really is no future hope beyond the grave?).
No concern for your next door neighbor? Your brother or cousin either? People you've known for all of your life that aren't going to make it? Your not worried about them? They have a pretty grim future, you said it yourself.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,252,209 times
Quote:

well I don't know, robertpolyglot, I am not afraid of death at all, not the slightest bit afraid ov it.

sometimes you are asked, why are you afraid of dying, or why aren't you afraid of dying? I can't give a sensible answer why not... I do not take this life seriously actually, I do not stress about anything. This was not the case a few years ago, but I have changed and I have a completely different viewpoint about things. I will never understand people anxiously thinking ahead and desperately planning their life so that their limited lifetime may be "perfect". sigh, why? You take nothing to the grave with you. I am a christian. I believe in afterlife, I try to focus on it. but if you are not a christian and believe your existence will cease, then the question is still the same why stress about planning everything so meticulously? I feel to me death would be a blessing.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
The fear of death is part of our animal condition.

Have you seen animals in the wild trying to elude a predator?

Have you seen a field mouse run for cover as soon as you turn the lights on in your garage?

We are ingrained with the instinct to survive.

The animals with the better instinct to survive get to pass their genes to the next generation. It is Darwinian survival of the fittest.

From an intellectual point of view our lives are meaningless. In fact folks like Newton, Bach, Mozart, and Einstein died and life goes on. However, we try to stay alive even when we are old with a terminal illness. Staying alive is part of our genetic make up.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM

9,692 posts, read 10,029,011 times
For people who are afraid or worry about illness and death , it is because they have no hope or limited hope of God with poor discernment of spirit who can manipulate man to worry , which will attract demons who can identify worrier who can bring more illness then those who do not worry , for Christians who `rebuke the demons in Jesus name every time worry come to their mind as any sin that Believer are called resist..... See the Lord Jesus will, is stabilities to get people all their days in the earth and live long lives , and those Christians who live long lives who be challenged by annoying dark spirit and will have to get good nutrition and lots of prayer of Jesus blood and God will give them all their days in the earth.... See you see Christians running to the doctor for every pain or issue and do not pray or have legalizing prayer for health , these believers who have to get other Christan's prayer to keep healthy.....Christians who worry about death , may need to get Holy Spirit in their live for their confidence in the Lord and His life , or some may has lack of Holy spirit works to keep clean enough, or may think of a bad witness they may be to the Lord and His work .......

Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
For people who are afraid or worry about illness and death , it is because they have no hope or limited hope of God with poor discernment of spirit who can manipulate man to worry , which will attract demons who can identify worrier who can bring more illness then those who do not worry , for Christians who `rebuke the demons in Jesus name every time worry come to their mind as any sin that Believer are called resist..... See the Lord Jesus will, is stabilities to get people all their days in the earth and live long lives , and those Christians who live long lives who be challenged by annoying dark spirit and will have to get good nutrition and lots of prayer of Jesus blood and God will give them all their days in the earth.... See you see Christians running to the doctor for every pain or issue and do not pray or have legalizing prayer for health , these believers who have to get other Christan's prayer to keep healthy.....Christians who worry about death , may need to get Holy Spirit in their live for their confidence in the Lord and His life , or some may has lack of Holy spirit works to keep clean enough, or may think of a bad witness they may be to the Lord and His work .......
Adam lived 930 years

Seth lived 912 years

Enosh lived 905 years

Cainan lived 910 years

Mahalalel lived 895 years

Jared lived 962 years

Enoch lived 365 years (because he walked with God, and God took him)

Methuselah 969 years

Lamech lived 777 years

Noah lived 950 years

Shem lived 600 years

Arphaxad lived 438 years

Salah lived 433 years

Eber lived 464 years

Peleg lived 239 years

Reu lived 239 years

Serug lived 230 years

Nahor lived 148 years

Terah lived 205 years

Abraham lived 175 years

Isaac lived 180 years

Jacob lived 147 years

Joseph lived 110 years

David lived 70 years

What's going on?

Can anyone live to be almost a 1,000 years old?

Quote:
(a) Assuming that the relationships are all father to son, which is unlikely.
(b) Enoch did not die, but “God took him” (Gen 5:24). Lifespans reduced rapidly after the flood, although there were still some remarkably long lives. For example, Abraham died at 175 (Genesis 25:7-8). By the time of Moses, the average lifespan was about 70 years.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: off topic in this forum

Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:

I think the fear of death is due to sin, or the not living out the commandments of Jesus: forgive, be merciful, bless, love, resist not evil, etc.

I think that to the extent that we are able to live out these commandments, the more comfortable we become with facing death.

And, because it's so easy to do, and yet we so often choose the way of the world, which is the opposite of the above: revenge, no mercy, cursing, hate, conflict, etc.

Just a thought..

Peace!
brian

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
No concern for your next door neighbor? Your brother or cousin either? People you've known for all of your life that aren't going to make it? Your not worried about them? They have a pretty grim future, you said it yourself.
Good point! -- I guess I read the question as one of why Christians were worried about their own death. Of course I'm very concerned about the lost who face eternity apart from God every time they back out of their driveway into traffic. In response, I have taught, preached, evangelized, counseled and whatever else I could do over the past 30+ years. --- Thanks for the different slant on the question.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

33,283 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:

No believer in the Lord Jesus Christ should be, or has any right to worry about death. Physical death is simply the separation of the soul from the body. The soul of the believer goes into the presence of the Lord in heaven. The believer's death is a promotion. Absent from the body and face to face with the Lord.

If I were found to have a terminal illness and had only a few months left to live, I would feel very blessed to know that the time of my departure was near. I know where my destination is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity