Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times

Advertisements

I need to understand what kind of attitude is more prevalent among Evangelical Christians. The judgmental, narrow-minded self-righteous dogma that leads Evangelicals to declare only they are considered Christians, while other groups (Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses etc) aren't really Christians even though they believe they are. Or the kind, sharing Christlike attitude that I have seen from some Evangelical Christians when they go on mission trips, reach out to other faiths, and serve their communities.

Let me share a few experiences I've had that illustrate both kinds of behavior.

When I was about 10 years old, my family moved to Texas. Our LDS chapel was damaged by a tornado. A local Baptist church allowed our congregation to meet in its building for several months while repairs were made.

When I was in high school, I was friends with two twins who were very active in their local Baptist church. They invited me to go on two ski trips with their youth group. I also played basketball many times with members of their Church. Once the pastor asked if I was Mormon. But I never heard judgments on my religion.

Later in high school, a kid from a local Evangelical church challenged me on several occasions regarding the "cult" I belong to. Once he showed up quite drunk to a party and made a big deal out of it in front of a bunch of people.

Once in high school I went to a friend's Pentecostal Service. In that service the preacher made a specific reference to several religions that were false, including Mormons. His family expressed embarrassment after the service.

One of my sister's friends was the daughter of a Lutheran minister. After high school, we went on a few dates. One time she invited me to her home. Her dad was downright hostile toward me. I don't know if it was due to my religion or something else. After my LDS mission she called me up. We met for dinner. At the end of the evening she teared up and confessed her concern for "what I was involved" with. After I said I wasn't going to renounce the religion I had just spent 2 years teaching, that was the last I ever saw of her.

After my mission, a local Presbyterian congregation invited me to discuss my 2 year experience in Russia. They were genuinely fascinated with what it was like.

The 2008 presidential campaign really left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like Mike Huckabee really used the "religion card" against Mitt Romney. He did it in a very subtle and underhanded manner. Even today there are articles like these, in which politicians really play to the Religious Right.

Rick Perry Evangelicals Could Derail Mitt Romney

Or which many Evangelicals can never consider voting for a Mormon.

Evangelicals explain why they can't

Then there of course are many posts on this board, in which Mormons, Catholics, and other religions are treated so judgmentally. I get so tired of the attitude in those posts. It seems so self-righteous and similar to the Pharisees of Jesus' time.

From this board, I lean more toward believing that the arrogant judgmental attitude is more prevalent. I hope you all can prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Human beings tend to focus on the worst, rather than the best. Indeed, it is a heart condition, as the road to understanding in not straight. There are curves called failures, a loop called confusion, speed bumps called justice, red lights called enemies, and flat tires called theology. But, if you have a green light called love, a spare called determination, an engine called perseverance, insurance called faith, and a driver called the Spirit of Christ, you will make it to the place called wisdom. Unfortunately, many continue to ride the bus of judgment, stopping frequently to condemn others. Therefore, all will not be able to prove you wrong.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM

49 posts, read 99,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
From this board, I lean more toward believing that the arrogant judgmental attitude is more prevalent. I hope you all can prove me wrong.

I don't think I can.

I do my best not to have this attitude. I had LDS and Catholic friends in high school and a few times I questioned them on their beliefs because I had been taught they were different and had no knowledge of their beliefs, practices, etc. I still have little knowledge of either one, and I cannot judge you on whether what you believe is right or wrong.

Sadly, however, I don't think people like me are the norm. I think more people are too willing to follow what their pastor says is right and wrong, without learning and thinking for themselves.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM

334 posts, read 487,232 times
most of them are rigid..

Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:
I need to understand what kind of attitude is more prevalent among Evangelical Christians. The judgmental, narrow-minded self-righteous dogma that leads Evangelicals to declare only they are considered Christians, while other groups (Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses etc) aren't really Christians even though they believe they are. Or the kind, sharing Christlike attitude that I have seen from some Evangelical Christians when they go on mission trips, reach out to other faiths, and serve their communities.

When I was about 10 years old, my family moved to Texas. Our LDS chapel was damaged by a tornado. A local Baptist church allowed our congregation to meet in its building for several months while repairs were made.

When I was in high school, I was friends with two twins who were very active in their local Baptist church. They invited me to go on two ski trips with their youth group. I also played basketball many times with members of their Church. Once the pastor asked if I was Mormon. But I never heard judgments on my religion.

Later in high school, a kid from a local Evangelical church challenged me on several occasions regarding the "cult" I belong to. Once he showed up quite drunk to a party and made a big deal out of it in front of a bunch of people.

Once in high school I went to a friend's Pentecostal Service. In that service the preacher made a specific reference to several religions that were false, including Mormons. His family expressed embarrassment after the service.

One of my sister's friends was the daughter of a Lutheran minister. After high school, we went on a few dates. One time she invited me to her home. Her dad was downright hostile toward me. I don't know if it was due to my religion or something else. After my LDS mission she called me up. We met for dinner. At the end of the evening she teared up and confessed her concern for "what I was involved" with. After I said I wasn't going to renounce the religion I had just spent 2 years teaching, that was the last I ever saw of her.

After my mission, a local Presbyterian congregation invited me to discuss my 2 year experience in Russia. They were genuinely fascinated with what it was like.

The 2008 presidential campaign really left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like Mike Huckabee really used the "religion card" against Mitt Romney. He did it in a very subtle and underhanded manner. Even today there are articles like these, in which politicians really play to the Religious Right.

Then there of course are many posts on this board, in which Mormons, Catholics, and other religions are treated so judgmentally. I get so tired of the attitude in those posts. It seems so self-righteous and similar to the Pharisees of Jesus' time.

You hit the nail on the head...the PHARISEES are as alive and well in the realms of Christianity today as they were back in Jesus day, but take heart and don't worry about them or their attitudes...for one day they will ALL BE BROUGHT INTO THE LIGHT.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,884 times
THe last church we attended, a mother got up and asked for help.

Her son went to University in Utah. He rented a room from a "MORMON" Family.

Her fear was so great that her son would fall prey to their Cultic beliefs, that she asked if the congregation would pray for her son and not let him fall prey to evil cults. The church did so and the pastor let it stand.

We don't go to that church anymore.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
THe last church we attended, a mother got up and asked for help.

Her son went to University in Utah. He rented a room from a "MORMON" Family.

Her fear was so great that her son would fall prey to their Cultic beliefs, that she asked if the congregation would pray for her son and not let him fall prey to evil cults. The church did so and the pastor let it stand.

We don't go to that church anymore.
Smart move!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:

As a practicing Latter-day Saint, I too have seen both extremes among evangelical Christians (genuinely Christlike people and some of the most malicious, hateful people I've ever run into). In my own personal experience, I'd say that the arrogant judgmental attitude is more prevalent. I have interacted with a number of evangelical Christians, however, that I would definitely not put into the judgemental category.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
I'm an evangelical Christian and I'm going to tell you right now how I am and how my life as been thus far. So far, I've met judgmental and rude people my entire life of all religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. Especially those from atheist beliefs. Which reside on this forum. And even people who call themselves Christian such as universalist have attacked me for my beliefs.

Evangelical Christians will ALWAYS be on the offense in regards to other people because of what we believe. We believe fully in the word of God and everything he said in the Bible. So in today's world, that automatically equates to us being intolerant bigots. Do you think that I'm screaming and tirading at the world around me because of this? No. I've been attacked for my race and my ethnic background many times in my life. I'm not angry at the specific people who did it because I know they are just ignorant. I forgive them and move on. If I let the majority bad experiences I have had with Atheist get to me, I would have became a angry bitter person and declare war on them. I don't and I'm not.

Why I told you this is because #1, you are ALWAYS going to have somebody who either doesn't like you or your beliefs or where you come or what you are. With the billions of people in this planet, your bound to have MANY people who hate you. You cannot do anything to change them but pray for them.

#2, Christians are human beings! I really cannot comprehend how in the world non-Christians believe that Christians are suppose to be these perfect caricatures of who Jesus Christ was. He was God in the form of a man! We are just humans! We can try to be Christ-like but we will always fail. Because at the end of the day your struggling against sin, your basic human instincts, and against principalities. I've had many Atheist tell me that I'm an idiot because of my religious beliefs. I tell them their an idiot right back because they believe in oxygen. And then they sarcastically say "Oh..How Christ-like of you"... How delusional of them to think I was going to take their disrespect? I'm not the one. I was always taught to defend myself and I would never let someone talk to me like that. I don't care who you are. And that's the BS I'm talking about with other people. They purposely disrespect you and then act like your suppose to be nice and shrug it off because your a Christian. Are you freaking kidding me?

#3, I'm not trying to be rude here, but the only reason many people have a problem with Christians is because they have dealt with personalities that claim Christ as their God. If it was a rude manipulative muslim or Atheist (i've met several) that you dealt with, it wouldn't have even been a bigger issue than you telling them off and going about your life. But because they are self-proclaimed Christians, that is where the problem arises in non-Christians. They think that Christians are suppose to be on some other realm of human emotions. They think their is no such as thing as a Christian who's a b*tch, or mean, or douchy. There are BILLIONS of human beings on this planet. Christians come in all personalities, sizes, shapes, and color. You are literally always going to find someone of those personalities in every race, religion, and culture! And then you are going to find people of the opposite end of the spectrum who are extremely nice, mellow, and happy of every race, religion, or culture. I've met atheist of these personalities!! And it wasn't a big surprise!! Because why??!

We're ALL HUMAN BEINGS and we are all different!!! That is how God made us!! We are not all going to successfully embody who Jesus Christ was!! We will always fail in some way, shape, or form! That is why you shouldn't judge people based on the few you have dealt with!! I may act like I have a problem with Atheist but I do not!! I have a problem with some Atheist like I have a problem with some universalist like I have a problem with some white people like I have a problem with some of the whole damn world!! LOL just learn to forgive people and move on with your life!

Last edited by allenk893; 08-15-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You hit the nail on the head...the PHARISEES are as alive and well in the realms of Christianity today as they were back in Jesus day, but take heart and don't worry about them or their attitudes...for one day they will ALL BE BROUGHT INTO THE LIGHT.
Yes they will as well as every human being on this planet. Because we will all stand before God on judgement day and give a testimony to what we did on Earth and how we treated others. That is what makes him the greatest God. No one is no more special than the other. In his eyes, we are ALL sinners. The only thing is, he's also going to ask why you didn't accept Jesus Christ, his son, as your savior and why you didn't listen to his people when you were given the gospel. And that's what going to be the great separator between the human race on that day. You may have been as mean as they come on this Earth, but if you repented for your sins and accepted Jesus as your savior, you would go to Heaven. So before you go giving your congrats and high-fiving those who are judging other Christians, look inside yourself and make sure your right with God. Because if your not, all your actions will look like pure hypocrisy and foolishness to him and yourself at the throne. Yes, you can call me any name in the book. Judgemental, bias, bigoted, intolerant. But all that won't mean anything when your soul leaves your body and your standing at the throne looking back on your life and what you said and did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity