Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,301 times

Advertisements

Is hell a good place?

We cannot know how the first iniquity demonstrated itself but we can know that rebellion begins with questioning the status quo.

The moment God was questioned in any way, he responded with an evil punishment.
Evil as I class it in any case. He does not tolerate anyone doing their will, if it does not comply with his will. Obey or else. Not quite what scriptures say he should be doing.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It would seem that God let himself be overcome by evil and responded with evil. Or evil must be good. God created the first division in his once united kingdom.

It appears that God does not follow his own good advise. Or does he? If God was following his WORD, then hell must be a good place somehow.
Strange but true.

Are their any theists who would like to show how this is not back sliding?
That is of course, a rhetorical question as back sliding cannot be denied.

Was God overcome by evil?
Did God follow his literal WORD or not?
Should we?

Is hell a good place or is God’s WORD worthless since he himself ignores it and breaks his own laws?

Regards
DL

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Since this is in the Christian forum, please be aware my answer may not agree with the majority here.

Speaking as a Muslim, Hell is neither good nor evil. It simply is. It was a needed part of creation to offer alternative choices if we are to have true free will. while Hell is a nasty, horrible place and not very high on the list of places, where people would like to live. The option is there for those who choose it. Every body has the right to go to Hell if they so desire. We can show them the travel itineraries to other places and and offer nice housing packages for those who are willing to take the effort. but it all comes down to free choice.

Some people just want to enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination, so be it, it is their choice and the road ends in Hell.

Nobody gets sent to Hell, there is no need for anybody to go there. People end up in hell as a result of their own free will choices.

Over all it is a good thing we have choices. In that sense Hell is good. it is exactly where some people choose to spend eternity.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Since this is in the Christian forum, please be aware my answer may not agree with the majority here.

Speaking as a Muslim, Hell is neither good nor evil. It simply is. It was a needed part of creation to offer alternative choices if we are to have true free will. while Hell is a nasty, horrible place and not very high on the list of places, where people would like to live. The option is there for those who choose it. Every body has the right to go to Hell if they so desire. We can show them the travel itineraries to other places and and offer nice housing packages for those who are willing to take the effort. but it all comes down to free choice.

Some people just want to enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination, so be it, it is their choice and the road ends in Hell.

Nobody gets sent to Hell, there is no need for anybody to go there. People end up in hell as a result of their own free will choices.

Over all it is a good thing we have choices. In that sense Hell is good. it is exactly where some people choose to spend eternity.
Would you say that what you describe is overcoming evil with good?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
God is not evil, and hell is not a "place" as traditionally taught.

The literal word 'hell' mans 'hades' and refers to the grave or the 'unseen'.
Metaphorically we could say that this world is 'hell', which is probably the closest to the truth. We have to experience 'hell' before we can understand 'heaven'...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Would you say that what you describe is overcoming evil with good?
Yes as we can avoid the path to Hell by choosing the path of doing good. But, doing good is just one of the many flowers that decorate the path that leads to Heaven. The Sirat Mustaqeem(straight path) is not always an easy path, but it will contain all that is needed and have no obstacles a person has not been given the ability to overcome. It does have chores for us to do such as worship and doing good. But those chores are just indicators we are on the right path.We can not and need not pay a fare to travel the path, but as we travel it we will have both the desire and ability to pay what we can in terms of doing good and offering faithful worship. The path is free and open, We just need to keep from seeking to travel the path to hell that offers much immediate pleasures.

Hell is a very good thing because if we see, the path we choose, leads to
Hell as the end, we know it may be wise to change paths.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yes as we can avoid the path to Hell by choosing the path of doing good. But, doing good is just one of the many flowers that decorate the path that leads to Heaven. The Sirat Mustaqeem(straight path) is not always an easy path, but it will contain all that is needed and have no obstacles a person has not been given the ability to overcome. It does have chores for us to do such as worship and doing good. But those chores are just indicators we are on the right path.We can not and need not pay a fare to travel the path, but as we travel it we will have both the desire and ability to pay what we can in terms of doing good and offering faithful worship. The path is free and open, We just need to keep from seeking to travel the path to hell that offers much immediate pleasures.

Hell is a very good thing because if we see, the path we choose, leads to
Hell as the end, we know it may be wise to change paths.
I think you are either evading the question, or perhaps misunderstanding the simplicity of the question.

The OP premise is:
"Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It would seem that God let himself be overcome by evil and responded with evil. Or evil must be good. God created the first division in his once united kingdom. "

You are saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that because hell is so torturously bad it is good for showing one to go another path. The problem with that, IMO, is that the verse states to overcome evil with good. To me that would be something like an evil person gets loved to death...so to speak. Not burned eternally. By repaying evil (unbelief, sin) with hell (not good) isn't God doing the opposite of his own commands? Whether a person chooses that path or not, it is god who created the destination.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
It might help to see the context in which Romans 12:21 was taken from, starting with verse 9 -

9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.c Do not be conceited.
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”d says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”e
21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
God is not evil, and hell is not a "place" as traditionally taught.

The literal word 'hell' mans 'hades' and refers to the grave or the 'unseen'.
Metaphorically we could say that this world is 'hell', which is probably the closest to the truth. We have to experience 'hell' before we can understand 'heaven'...
I couldn't agree with you more. But what's new? I agree with you on just about everything you post.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Is hell a good place?
I have never heard it referred to as such. Think, what is the most nightmarish and unpleasant about earthly existence and there you have a little preview.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
We have to experience 'hell' before we can understand 'heaven'...

Lego I know most disagree with me on this but that statement is in total error.

Cause and effect

If one experience hell one can only understand hell.

One simply does not have to experience hate in order to understand love.

Hate produces hate

Love produces love

Cause and effect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity