Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,661 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that a lot of people have temper tantrums, myself included. They take on different forms and are caused by seemingly innocent conversations. I am writing this on the Christian Forum because I am a Christian and prefer a Christian perspective.

My personal temper tantrums come in the forms of being condescending, sarcastic, yelling, and violence but I have noticed that others have different forms like nagging, talking a subject to death, putting blame off on others.

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I have noticed that a lot of people have temper tantrums, myself included. They take on different forms and are caused by seemingly innocent conversations. I am writing this on the Christian Forum because I am a Christian and prefer a Christian perspective.

My personal temper tantrums come in the forms of being condescending, sarcastic, yelling, and violence but I have noticed that others have different forms like nagging, talking a subject to death, putting blame off on others.

So what do you think?
When this happens, it's a time to ask God to help us release and let go of all negative things and bring to us peace and comfort and His Love and the ability to handle the difficulties in our lives. Blessings.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 AM

817 posts, read 740,479 times
Quote:

So what do you think?
I think on a forum where there is lots of debate, it's hard to say. First of all, things come off differently written than they way they would otherwise sound. We've also all seen political debates where gentlemen who are actually good friends get really heated up...but when the day is over...they're still good friends. It's all part of the territory.

Debates are supposed to be a little like that. We've seen the predidential debates..and they get quite sarcastic. It's supposed to be okay.

As far as ordinary life...the only time I have still have any issues like this is when I'm a bit drunk. But it still takes me a lot to get that way. I've never ever been violent however in my life. Someone who starts a tantrum with me is more likely to get me going if im intoxicated (i drink maybe once every 6 weeks now so its not much of an issue)...but in general I'm a lot better than I used to be at handling things, from having to deal with a pretty psycho former girlfriend that raised by tolerance level quite a bit.

With a little effort and help from God, we would be surprised just how much progress we can make in this area though. It's important to keep at it.

On an interesting side note...a couple weeks back I was on a heavily censored Christian forum..that posts T.O.S. warnings if you try to defend your position too heavily...doesn't allow Catholic, or any non-Protestant thinking to be expressed in the main forum, but sends out its "experts" to condescend to you about the religion. I happened to be a little drunk one night, and I'd finally had enough, and though my post wasn't outright abusive it was pretty offensive in some ways probably..but I left it and told them it would be my last post to the forum because I had had enough!! Then they banned me. lol.

But I sent a private message to the person i might have offened and apolozied, and also said that I felt i couldn't stay there..because it isn't really a FORUM if they are going to censor you and limit what you say so much. This happened in the Apologetics and Theology section also.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

So what do you think?
To answer your question closer to the point, I think prayer and meditation is a really good way to keep these things from getting to you. When we make a mistake like one of those listed, we need to be honest with ourselves about it, and pray about, and meditate on, how we would handle it differently next time. This can help us to retrain ourselves to respond better. We should ask the Lord for patience, and to reveal to us how to be more graceful and patient.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:

So what do you think?
Until people actually PUT ON THE MIND OF CHRIST...by denying their selves and following the path Jesus laid out for us to follow to overcome...egoic/carnal temper tantums will continue. The EGO hates to be wrong.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Until people actually PUT ON THE MIND OF CHRIST...by denying their selves and following the path Jesus laid out for us to follow to overcome...egoic/carnal temper tantums will continue. The EGO hates to be wrong.
Yes, that is all too common....isn't it.

I've reached a point where it actually feels good to admit that I'm wrong. I always loved those moments with my ex girlfriend, because I knew I was setting a good example for her.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
This is also why so many people will never even look at the error of their ways of thinking, no matter what evidence is presented to them. This is especially true if the belief system has existed for a very long time. That's why I allow my belief system some lee-way, and I'm willing to change it if necessary. Truth is what's most important.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
This is also why so many people will never even look at the error of their ways of thinking, no matter what evidence is presented to them. This is especially true if the belief system has existed for a very long time. That's why I allow my belief system some lee-way, and I'm willing to change it if necessary. Truth is what's most important.
EXACTLY...if the spirit reveals something to me that is contrary to my current belief system...you bet your hiney I will investigate it. Closing ones mind to the spirits revelations limits and stagnates one...it doesn't allow for spiritual growth.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,635,626 times
Quote:
Quote:
EXACTLY...if the spirit reveals something to me that is contrary to my current belief system...you bet your hiney I will investigate it. Closing ones mind to the spirits revelations limits and stagnates one...it doesn't allow for spiritual growth.
Does this mean you are a follower of Christ now?!!! No way!!! I'm so happy for you Christy!!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,924 times
Quote:

So what do you think?
I believe tempers come in various forms such as those you described. I also believe that when we give ourselves over to the flesh,,carnal thoughts and actions, just by this very nature, come out. It means we haven't 'really' put on the mind of Christ yet. We are being worked on, and worked through, but the 'new creation' isn't fully developed. Once the indwelling occurs, I believe the fleshly desires, with it's thoughts and actions will cease to exist. Some have been able to do this journey into the Spirit quite well. Others, like myself, have had struggles. When I let it all go, and let God, then things come quite easily. I have this profound patience, this quiet demeanor, and I feel the Spirit moving through my soul. Then I, like Peter, question this faith and rely on my 'old man' instincts, and then all hell breaks loose.

Only God can do this. We just need to give it all to Him,,,FIRST. How many have really, REALLY, done this. Out of our love for Him, and His Son, wholly submit to His reign? The King is coming,,,the King is HERE! Can we 'see' Him, and can we 'hear' Him? Only when He opens the ears and eyes do we truly behold His beauty in our lives.

PS. I started a new job driving truck, so I haven't been around lately as I am in training. I have the next few days off though, so it is time to catch up a little bit. Missed you all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity