Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Which post did you say this ?
I am not going to read back the thread for you when you can do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
You have saying all through this thread that the the light of the world are christians and that Jesus was addressing the disciples and not the multitude.

Here's the proof that he indeed was speaking and teaching the multitude,same place from the long distant preacher

And it came to pass, when Jesus ended these words, the multitudes were astonished at his teaching Matt 7:28

Will you now accept that Jesus was addressing the multitude as well the twelve, when he said "you are the light of the world"?.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not going to read back the thread for you when you can do it yourself.
I have reread all your replies and not seen it. Do you think it's in the spirit of Christ, to say go look for it yourself ?.I would feel obliged to do so myself if someone cannot find a post i was referring to. Oh well so much for going the extra mile and giving to those who ask of you.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have reread all your replies and not seen it. Do you think it's in the spirit of Christ, to say go look for it yourself ?.I would feel obliged to do so myself if someone cannot find a post i was referring to. Oh well so much for going the extra mile and giving to those who ask of you.
I think you just need to read before you reply. You think you are going the extra mile by telling others to "go fetch" when you can fetch youself. I don't think so.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,664 times
Oops, yes, Jesus was speaking to the multitudes about many things. And yes, he did says the words ''you are the light of the world''.

However, everything needs to be taken in context. As a believer in Him, and as you walk in his light, you too are the light of the world. On the other hand, if you do not believe in Him, you will not be walking in his light. The opposite of light is dark.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

and

I [Jesus] have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. John 12:46

but sadly...

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. John 3:19

Acts 26
“‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. 17I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.

Bottom line, light is from God, darkness is from Satan.
One cannot be a 'light of the world' if they are living in darkness.

I have to believe a true believer in the risen Christ, who is honestly seeking to understand from Who and what is the "light of the world", will understand the bottom line.

Peace out

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I think you just need to read before you reply. You think you are going the extra mile by telling others to "go fetch" when you can fetch youself. I don't think so.
Finn Jarber if you asked me to dig up a post, I would gladly oblige,why wouldn't I ?. Could you please find the post in question,pretty please.

The multitudes were astonished at his teachings Matt 7:28.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Oops, yes, Jesus was speaking to the multitudes about many things. And yes, he did says the words ''you are the light of the world''.

However, everything needs to be taken in context. As a believer in Him, and as you walk in his light, you too are the light of the world. On the other hand, if you do not believe in Him, you will not be walking in his light. The opposite of light is dark.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

and

I [Jesus] have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. John 12:46

but sadly...

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. John 3:19

Acts 26
“‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. 17I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Bottom line, light is from God, darkness is from Satan.
One cannot be a 'light of the world' if they are living in darkness.

I have to believe a true believer in the risen Christ, who is honestly seeking to understand from Who and what is the "light of the world", will understand the bottom line.

Peace out
Yes. It is impossible for someone who rejects the Lord to be the light. Anyone who argues that everyone is the light, probably does not know what the light means.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yes. It is impossible for someone who rejects the Lord to be the light. Anyone who argues that everyone is the light, probably does not know what the light means.
Simple question requires a yes or no answer.

Did Jesus call the multitudes the light of the world or just the disciples?.

I will make it easy for you, read Matt 7:28.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM

It is clear who "the light" are. They are followers of Jesus. Multitudes? Sure. Does 'multitudes' mean everyone? Certainly not.

Matt 5 gives you some idea who they are. See the highlights below. Who is Jesus blessing? The believers aka "the light", those who will spread the Gospel.

3“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
It is clear who "the light" are. They are followers of Jesus. Multitudes? Sure. Does 'multitudes' mean everyone? Certainly not.

Matt 5 gives you some idea who they are. See the highlights below. Who is Jesus blessing? The believers aka "the light", those who will spread the Gospel.

3“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
The light is Christ. The light in you is Christ in you, your hope of glory. You should be looking for Christ in every person. The seed has been planted. We are supposed to water the seed, not uproot it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity