Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I've read it & actually had 2 copies.
But I didn't ask what Stephen E. Robinson or Jon Huntsman thought.
I asked you.
What I mean about "True Believing Mormon" is one who refers to Mormon books & Mormon leaders for their beliefs.
But you're right, how would I know if that's what you are or not?
When it comes to actual Mormon doctrine, I suppose you could say I'm a TBM. But when it comes to policies, practices, social and cultural issues, and the typical Mormon interpretation of things that aren't spelled out in great detail, most Mormons I know (if they knew my true feelings, which they definitely don't) would call me a "flaming liberal." I could go into more detail, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. If you want specifics, DM me. I'll respond.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,952,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Well, one thing I learned is that the Jesus of the Book of Mormon is not the same Jesus described in the Bible based on His relationship to Lucifer, His ministry and His 3 days in the Americas, among many others.
So, you were taught that the Jesus in the book of Mormon was a separate Jesus than the one in the Holy Bible?

Quote:
You know what is taught regarding that issue.
I know what is taught in context of the multi-verse which adds up to something different than is claimed.

Quote:

I was taught that yes, I could become like Him through eternal progression, although I would never reach the point that He is at.
ok

Quote:
And I also know why you're asking these questions: to dispute them by saying that they are not taught in the mormon church today or ever. However, I was taught church doctrines by very learned men and no matter what you say, I will not waver from my statements or position regarding these issues and others.
Good for you, but if the LDS church doesn't teach it's members what the critics claimk is being taught then there isn't much of a point being made with your stance no matter how unwavering it is.

Quote:
Not you or anyone else from the chuch are going to sway me or fool me into believing anything other than what I already know and understand about the mormon church...period.

Ok, so you are going to continue to assert that something is taught in the LDS that is not actually taught. My purpose is to discuss and challenge, people will ultimatyly make up thier own mind, that is how things work.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM

This thread is really starting to go downhill fast. I've spent over 30 posts trying to explain our beliefs about this topic. I believe I've done a good job. Shall we move on folks?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This thread is really starting to go downhill fast. I've spent over 30 posts trying to explain our beliefs about this topic. I believe I've done a good job. Shall we move on folks?
Are Jesus and Lucifer brothers?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Ironic that an ex-member of the Mormon Church stated the same fact I did concerning the Mormon's following a different Jesus than of Him spoken of in the Holy Bible of Christians.
Ex-Mormons will undoubtedly speak differently of the church than believers will. If you think Judas would have given you the same answer as Peter would have done to the question, "Is Jesus Christ the Son of God and the Redeemer of mankind?", you're sadly mistaken.

Quote:
I'm sorry you do not 'see' this fact. May God's Holy Spirit bring you to His Truth.
Don't be sorry about anything. God knows my mind and my heart, and I am quite certain He's pleased with how I understand His Son's gospel.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Will they tell you what they really are taught about that in Mormon doctrine?
When I discuss mormon beliefs with mormons, I am not sure I am getting the "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Will they tell you what they really are taught about that in Mormon doctrine?

Well, an ex mormon here explained that what he was taught don't seem to be what the critics claim, and hasn't sounded contrary to what Katzpur has said in general , so what would you think?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,994 times
Mormons believe that God the Father and Christ the Son are not of the same substance, is yet another fact to show that the Mormons are not following Jesus of the Holy Bible.

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. John 14:9

And Jesus and Lucifer were not brothers. Lucifer, another name for Satan, is an angel. God, as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is not an angel. They are not brothers!

God was never pre-mortal. WE people were never pre-mortal.

Lots of false doctrines spoken of in Mormonism.

And no, God is not happy with hearts that do not belong to HIM.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Mormons believe that God the Father and Christ the Son are not of the same substance, is yet another fact to show that the Mormons are not following Jesus of the Holy Bible.

Not really, some Christians who only refer to the holy Bible, believe Jesus was created, that has no bearing upon their devotion to God the Father or Jesus Capacity to save.

You could argue that those Christians are not following the same Jesus, but you'd only be comparing your belief about what Jesus is and not the capacity he has as Saviour of the world.

When the LDS church refers to the Holy bible in reference to Jesus being our Saviour, then your point about a different Jesus is from a false premise.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,244 times
Quote:
My purpose is to discuss and challenge, people will ultimatyly make up thier own mind, that is how things work.
This is all good and fine but when one states that everyone else is basically an idiot when it comes to mormon theology such I feel you have done here, it tends to drive folks away. This is why i am very straightforward with what I believe. Others have the right to agree or disagree with it just as they have the same rights after considering your statements.

Like I said earlier, it may sound like I dislike mormons when in actuality I do. I care for them very much. Matter of fact, I have quite a number of former family members and friends who are very dear to me and vice versa. The only uncommon denominator is our spiritual beliefs. Other than that, we get along very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity