Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM

117 posts, read 344,875 times

Advertisements

As I am looking for a church to join I am trying to figure out exactly what my beliefs are. I was not raised in a "religious" family so much of my understanding has come from independent research.

Through this research I have gotten to understand a few things but that doesn't mean I believe in them.

Some of my beliefs however are fairly solid and I'm trying to figure out which Christian denomination(s) share or have similar beliefs. I would like some thoughts but please.....I'm not looking for debate. These are the beliefs I'm fairly strong in and while certain other's may still be debatable, these are not.

1- I do not believe in salvation for all but I do believe in salvation for the majority. Those not saved will be those that knowingly and conciously reject Jesus as Saviour. (As compared to those that don't understand)

2- I do believe in "once saved, always saved" however, once one is "saved" their desire to deliberately sin is weaker while they feel more remorseful over other "sins"

3- I do not believe in a literal, eternal Hell for the unsaved but rather annhilation

4- I believe that the bible was divinely inspired but was written by man and is therefore subject to misinterpretations, mistranslations, etc. therefore, it is not to be taken literally.

5- I believe that baptism, while symbolic should be done when one conciously makes their decision on which church to join. I do not believe in infant baptism.

These are the main ones I can think of for now.

Please, as stated I am NOT looking to debate so if you disagree with me please keep it to yourself. Maybe we can debate later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,222,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
As I am looking for a church to join I am trying to figure out exactly what my beliefs are. I was not raised in a "religious" family so much of my understanding has come from independent research.

Through this research I have gotten to understand a few things but that doesn't mean I believe in them.

Some of my beliefs however are fairly solid and I'm trying to figure out which Christian denomination(s) share or have similar beliefs. I would like some thoughts but please.....I'm not looking for debate. These are the beliefs I'm fairly strong in and while certain other's may still be debatable, these are not.

1- I do not believe in salvation for all but I do believe in salvation for the majority. Those not saved will be those that knowingly and conciously reject Jesus as Saviour. (As compared to those that don't understand)

2- I do believe in "once saved, always saved" however, once one is "saved" their desire to deliberately sin is weaker while they feel more remorseful over other "sins"

3- I do not believe in a literal, eternal Hell for the unsaved but rather annhilation

4- I believe that the bible was divinely inspired but was written by man and is therefore subject to misinterpretations, mistranslations, etc. therefore, it is not to be taken literally.

5- I believe that baptism, while symbolic should be done when one conciously makes their decision on which church to join. I do not believe in infant baptism.

Please, as stated I am NOT looking to debate so if you disagree with me please keep it to yourself. Maybe we can debate later.
We are not far off in a way. I also have views that are not really in many or any mainstream denominations.

I tend to lean more towards salvation first coming from God, not necessarily a decision. But I am sympathetic to your majority saved view.
I grew up Baptist, went to a Baptist leaning Christian High School, then I didn't really go to church for years. When I started going back I went to Non-Denominational Mega Churches but they were more "me" centered self-help family inspiration meetings (IMHO).

After that I started learning about the reformation and church history, I found a couple very unique reformation based churches over a few years. The first was great, it had an amazing preacher who really focused on what Jesus DID, not what we do. Interestingly enough I did notice several “couples” showing up and as it turns out the pastor was gay, it did cause the church t dissolve when a few of the members could not get over that. It was too bad but since I don’t really think mainstream Christians have the whole sex issue correct. No one could preach grace like he could.

The other church was affiliated with the Evangelical Free denomination but it was rather independent in practice. It was very Grace based also.
I think you may have more luck trying several churches that are closer to the reformed teaching as opposed to more of the mega church, Fundi or charismatic, those tend to be very dogmatic. You need a church that allows for alternative thoughts and discussions.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Wakyco, I think if everyone would respond to your questions the way I'm going to, you would be able to find the denomination that most closely matches your beliefs. I hope people will do that, rather than just tell you why they're right and everybody else is wrong.

Quote:
1- I do not believe in salvation for all but I do believe in salvation for the majority. Those not saved will be those that knowingly and conciously reject Jesus as Saviour. (As compared to those that don't understand).
Mormonism believes in an "almost universal" salvation. The only ones who will not end up in Heaven are those who knowingly and consciously reject Jesus as Savior. If a person did not have the opportunity to not only hear but fully understand Jesus Christ's gospel during his lifetime, he will be given that opportunity during the period in between his death and his resurrection.

Quote:
2- I do believe in "once saved, always saved" however, once one is "saved" their desire to deliberately sin is weaker while they feel more remorseful over other "sins."
Mormonism does not accept the teaching that once a person has been "saved," he will always be "saved." We believe that salvation is not a single event, but a lifelong process, and that "he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved." We believe that once a person is truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, he will have a greater desire to be obedient and faithful to the Savior.

Quote:
3- I do not believe in a literal, eternal Hell for the unsaved but rather annhilation.
Mormonism does not believed in a literal Hell, either, (at least not the lake of fire variety of Hell) but we don't believe anyone will be annihilated. The very few who do not end up in Heaven will remain separated from God forever.

Quote:
Mormonism believes that the Bible is true to the extent that that it is transcribed and translated correctly, but believe that while it is essentially God's word, it is not a 100% accurate and complete record of God's dealings with mankind.

Quote:
Mormonism believes that infant baptism is absolutely wrong. We typically baptize children who have been raised in Mormon households at the age of eight, and converts to the Church any time after the age of eight.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Mormonism believes in an "almost universal" salvation. The only ones who will not end up in Heaven are those who knowingly and consciously reject Jesus as Savior. If a person did not have the opportunity to not only hear but fully understand Jesus Christ's gospel during his lifetime, he will be given that opportunity during the period in between his death and his resurrection.
KAT, Just a quick question for clarification. Do you consider those of us who reject the Mormon gospel as knowingly rejecting Jesus? Or do we still have a second chance after death?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
KAT, Just a quick question for clarification. Do you consider those of us who reject the Mormon gospel as knowingly rejecting Jesus? Or do we still have a second chance after death?
You'd have a second chance, if that's what you want to call it. Keep in mind, though, that we believe people to be pretty much the same in the Spirit World after death as they were during mortality. In other words, we believe that someone who did not live his life as a Mormon even though he may have been exposed to the doctrines of Mormonism, but who was open-minded and truly desirous of knowing the truth, might see things differently once in the Spirit World, while someone who was just stubborn and opinionated during this life was probably be just as stubborn and opinionated in the period of time between his death and resurrection.

Just for the heck of it, I have a question for you now. How you answer might give you some insight into what I just said. I'm assuming that you believe that you will go to Heaven immediately after you die. As you know, I don't believe we go to Heaven until we are resurrected, and that won't be until Christ's Second Coming. I'm curious what your response would be if the instant after you died, you found yourself not in Heaven at all, but in the place Mormons have described as the Spirit World. Wouldn't it make you stop and think, "Uh oh. Maybe Katzpur was right!"?

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-18-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You'd have a second chance, if that's what you want to call it. Keep in mind, though, that we believe people to be pretty much the same in the Spirit World after death as they were during mortality. In other words, we believe that someone who did not live his life as a Mormon even though he may have been exposed to the doctrines of Mormonism, but who was open-minded and truly desirous of knowing the truth, might see things differently once in the Spirit World, while someone who was just stubborn and opinionated during this life was probably be just as stubborn and opinionated in the period of time between his death and resurrection.

Just for the heck of it, I have a question for you now. How you answer might give you some insight into what I just said. I'm assuming that you believe that you will go to Heaven immediately after you die. As you know, I don't believe we go to Heaven until we are resurrected, and that won't be until Christ's Second Coming. I'm curious what your response would be if the instant after you died, you found yourself not in Heaven at all, but in the place Mormons have described as the Spirit World. Wouldn't it make you stop and think, "Uh oh. Maybe Katzpur was right!"?
Interesting, thanks.

Yes, it I may start to wonder.

South Park says it is the Mormons.

A scene from hell in with all of the new entrants.

Random Protestant: Hey, wait a minute, I was a complete and devout Protestant. I thought we got into Heaven? Hell Orientation Director: Yes, well, I'm afraid you were wrong. Random Jehovah's Witness: I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness. Hell Orientation Director: You picked the wrong religion as well. Random Orientation Attendee: Well, who was right? Who got into Heaven? Hell Orientation Director: I'm afraid it was the MORMONS. Mormons were the correct answer. Orientation Attendees: (collective groan)
Probably - South Park Archives - Cartman, Comedy Central, Trey Parker, Matt Stone

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,622,757 times
Quote:

Take this quiz and it will tell you: Belief-O-Matic- Beliefnet.com

Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:

Why don't you just ask God where He wants you to be?

Put away your Laundry list.

Just submit to the will of God. He will lead-your place is to follow. -kay?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why don't you just ask God where He wants you to be?

Put away your Laundry list.

Just submit to the will of God. He will lead-your place is to follow. -kay?
In the big picture yes but we also need knowledge and discernment. You can end up in a cult without knowledge and discernment.

Most of the people I know who are the most theologically off ended up that way because "God led them".

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
South Park says it is the Mormons.
Seriously, I wonder how that rumor got started -- that Mormons think they're the only ones that are going to Heaven, particularly when we're darned near universalists in our beliefs concerning salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity