Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, [/SIZE][SIZE=5]'Take, eat; this is my body.'[/SIZE][SIZE=5] And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, [/SIZE][SIZE=5]'Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'(Mt. 26:26-28)
How is this interpreted by Protestants?

Is the Eucharist set aside as one more Catholic rite?

I have been to Protestant churches and I have never seen communion, however, I am aware some sects may do it. What are the criteria for having or not having the Eucharist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
I used to be a member of the Church of Christ. They take communion every Sunday. They take that verse as figurative speech. There is no criteria, it is open communion, as the bible says each person is to decide whether he is worthy to partake. It is a time to reflect on Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
How is this interpreted by Protestants?

Is the Eucharist set aside as one more Catholic rite?

I have been to Protestant churches and I have never seen communion, however, I am aware some sects may do it. What are the criteria for having or not having the Eucharist?
Hi,

I'm not an expert on how each denomination views communion. Some churches, like the one I was raised in, has communion every week. Others have it monthly. Still others have it only on special days of the year.

Tho I can't speak for all protestant denominations, most protestant congregations that I know of take communion in REMEMBRANCE of Christ's death and resurrection. They do not believe the wafer and juice/wine becomes the actual body of Christ. Jesus said he was the gate/door and no one believes that he is an actual door. He is portrayed as a lamb in Revelation yet no one expects to see Christ as a lamb.

I do not say this to dispute anything anyone believes. Each one must examine a doctrine for himself.

Have a blessed day.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM

"In Roman Catholic theology, transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) means the change, in the Eucharist, of the substance of wheat bread and grape wine into the substance of the Body and the Blood of Jesus."

From WIKI

Some Protestants do not believe in transubstantiation and I give them credit for that.

"We are to do that seriously as a "remembrance" of Jesus and the blood He shed for us and the life we give to Him in return, but there is no salvation from the practice, nor does the food and drink "magically" become the body and blood of Jesus. It is actually still just grape juice/wine and bread."

Protestants say:

"The Roman Catholic Church displays its inconsistent teaching by taking the words of Jesus literally in John 6

For once they did not take the Bible literally! There is hope after all, not all Protestant Christians take the Bible literally.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

420 posts, read 805,368 times
Even Martin Luther believed in the Eucharist.

Throughout the last few centuries, as "Prostestantism" has grown to 33,000+ sects, each with their own interpretations of Scripture, they have largely forgotten what Catholics and Martin Luther believed for the first 1600 years of Christianity.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Even Martin Luther believed in the Eucharist.

Throughout the last few centuries, as "Prostestantism" has grown to 33,000+ sects, each with their own interpretations of Scripture, they have largely forgotten what Catholics and Martin Luther believed for the first 1600 years of Christianity.
Wow, 33,000! And I bet they all believe to be correct.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:55 AM

306 posts, read 714,719 times
Since Lutherans are generally considered Protestants, here is what's confessed about the Eucharist in Luther's Small Catechism:

The Small Catechism - Book of Concord

Quote:
VI. The Sacrament of the Altar

As the head of the family should teach it in a simple way to his household.

What is the Sacrament of the Altar?

It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, under the bread and wine, for us Christians to eat and to drink, instituted by Christ Himself.

Where is this written?

The holy Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and St. Paul, write thus:
Our Lord Jesus Christ, the same night in which He was betrayed, took bread: and when He had given thanks, He brake it, and gave it to His disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is My body, which is given for you. This do in remembrance of Me.
After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Take, drink ye all of it. This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you for the remission of sins. This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me.

What is the benefit of such eating and drinking?

That is shown us in these words: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins; namely, that in the Sacrament forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation are given us through these words. For where there is forgiveness of sins, there is also life and salvation.

How can bodily eating and drinking do such great things?

It is not the eating and drinking, indeed, that does them, but the words which stand here, namely: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins. Which words are, beside the bodily eating and drinking, as the chief thing in the Sacrament; and he that believes these words has what they say and express, namely, the forgiveness of sins.

Who, then, receives such Sacrament worthily?

Fasting and bodily preparation is, indeed, a fine outward training; but he is truly worthy and well prepared who has faith in these words: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins.

But he that does not believe these words, or doubts, is unworthy and unfit; for the words For you require altogether believing hearts.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
In the Non Denominational Church were I go there is Communion covenant meal fest of Love of God and remembrance of Jesus , were in the presence of the Lord , people can have a point of contact to receive forgiveness of sin and even healing for their bodies and souls ....... A lot of the time the preacher uses the Word of God which give no faith like `the night Jesus was betrayed`` which is more condemnation than the love of God meal that the Lord intended as our covenant with Him..... Then there can be a quick meal at the end of the meeting and a fast song and the people are out the door and gone for the day with no faith expressed ..... I prefer the Communion early during the meeting and Words of God for faith spoken for the redemption of sin from the church and the people who attended the meeting .....Hoping Jesus is seeing my issue here for His plan for my Church .... Be Blessed In Christ...

Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
In the RCA (Reformed Church of America) that I grew up in, communion is given only on certain days--quarterly, I think, plus Holy Thursday. It is a remembrance. We had specially-made trays that held little shot-glass-type containers of grape juice and and other trays that held torn-up Wonder Bread (I remember peaking as a kid into the church kitchen and seeing the Wonder Bread bags.) Interesting, I learned as an adult from an older lady that up until the 50's, the local church had used real wine but switched to grape juice in deference to a man in the congregation who was a recovering alcoholic.

My daughter attended a non-denominational denomination (Church of God, Anderson, IN) during her HS years when she was dating the pastor's son. I believe they only ever had communion on Holy Thursday.

I became an Episcopalian at 35. We do the Eucharist similar to the Catholics except that wine is always offered to all. Eucharist can be seen by the individual as transubstantiation or a remembrance or anything in between, as per the Episcopal way of "Scripture, tradition, and reason."

Also, in the Episcopal Church, communion/eucharist is offered to any baptized Christian, which is different from the Catholic practice of forbidding other Christians to participate in communion in a Catholic church. I realize that this practice aims to promote the idea of Unity, but it's often seen as insulting to other Christians.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I became an Episcopalian at 35. We do the Eucharist similar to the Catholics except that wine is always offered to all. Eucharist can be seen by the individual as transubstantiation or a remembrance or anything in between, as per the Episcopal way of "Scripture, tradition, and reason."

Also, in the Episcopal Church, communion/eucharist is offered to any baptized Christian, which is different from the Catholic practice of forbidding other Christians to participate in communion in a Catholic church. I realize that this practice aims to promote the idea of Unity, but it's often seen as insulting to other Christians.
IN Catholicism only Catholics should receive communion. However, I have seen non-Catholics that are visiting the church go up and receive communion. So it is up to the people attending mass to respect or not respect this tradition. The priest has no way of knowing if someone is Catholic or not.

It takes a year of hard work to convert to Catholicism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity