Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Too many of them think that their god made the world just for them... to do with it as they wish.
Agreed..

Wow-- and we called the native americans "backward??"

Aren't Christians supposed to be "content with food and raiment?" Contentment is not easy to find these days..

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
According to the James Watts, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan, there is no need to be concerned about the environment because JC and his road show are coming.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshhome View Post
For if you really believe that God created all of nature, the animals, the plants the fresh air and clean water..why do you overall support a political party and agenda which is anathema to the environment and nature? And why don't your teachings and behavior reflect stewardships for God's masterpiece? One only needs to look to the recent push by the GOP to dismantle the EPA and their abominable efforts to favor big polluters and raping of existing resources..and the deafening silence from just about every pulpit on these matters.

I am no longer a Christian, but I must say, one of the first things that turned me off to Christianity was the total silence and insensitivity towards nature and environmental conservation which I experienced in just about every church.

And if you claim to follow the bible, why don't you hearken towards Deut which implies that 'if you defile the land, it will vomit you out?' Or how about 'God will destroy those who destroy the earth' in Rev 11? If you look deeply at your behaviors and attitudes, that one SHOULD really frighten you! The irony of it all is that when folks witness the damage which will soon increase to a critical level, they will surely blame the gays and the unbelievers.

I find the attitude of most Christians rather sickening, as they view the planet as a big disposable diaper, and also see the current destruction of nature as just fulfillment of bible prophecy. I guess they just aren't smart enough to realize that religious practices of domination and subduing of the planet are creating this self fulfilling prophecy. What we need is a new spirituality which reverences the creator by honoring his masterpiece- what we have now is the total opposite.

It could depend on what nature of environmentalism you are referring to. I don't think as a Christian I should be obligated to jump on every band wagon concerning the environment especially if it appears to be more politically driven than through the reasoning of wanting to get the facts straight first.

A Christian can not jump on the band wagon of global warming, carbong footprints and take an active role in their immediate environment where they can actually make a difference.

Last edited by Phazelwood; 10-17-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshhome View Post
What we need is a new spirituality which reverences the creator by honoring his masterpiece- what we have now is the total opposite.

I see you say you are no longer a Christian. But, you appear to be following a religion: Environmentalism. Carried to an extreme, environmentalism is a religion. It worships the environment, rather than the Creator. The Bible speaks of this:

Romans 1:25
"They gave up the truth about God for a lie, and they worshiped God's creation instead of God, who will be praised forever. Amen."

This is not to say we should trash the environment, but we should be careful we don't get into it as a religion and start worshiping "mother earth".

Bud

Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I see you say you are no longer a Christian. But, you appear to be following a religion: Environmentalism. Carried to an extreme, environmentalism is a religion. It worships the environment, rather than the Creator. The Bible speaks of this:

Romans 1:25
"They gave up the truth about God for a lie, and they worshiped God's creation instead of God, who will be praised forever. Amen."

This is not to say we should trash the environment, but we should be careful we don't get into it as a religion and start worshiping "mother earth".

Bud
Very good point!

I had never seen that nugget of God's Truth before.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
According to the James Watts, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan, there is no need to be concerned about the environment because JC and his road show are coming.
... and ...

"We will mine more, drill more, cut more timber."
-- James Watt

Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Well I personally try to recycle everything I can.

I am sorry but man made global warming is a lie while man made pollution is true. There are things in this world even the most educated do not understand.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Well I personally try to recycle everything I can.

I am sorry but man made global warming is a lie while man made pollution is true. There are things in this world even the most educated do not understand.
Don't you think pollution and global warming go hand-in-hand? The former causes the latter, does it not? Ozone depletion is caused by human activity.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Don't you think pollution and global warming go hand-in-hand? The former causes the latter, does it not? Ozone depletion is caused by human activity.

Not really, the theories are divided. some say Global warming is caused by man induced carbon dioxide some say it is a natural weather pattern.

The problem is that a global warming trend is real, the debate is whether it is truly a man made problem that possibly can be reversed or a natural weather pattern trend that would have occured with or without man even on the planet.

Smog, contaminated underground water reserves, litter, soil contamination are not necessarily global warming factors, but is a factor in everyones local area to some degree.

Unlike the true cause of global warming, it can be demonstrated and there is not much of a debate what causes smog in the areas where it is harmful and even lethal on occasion. Some cities have a smog alert that the local weather stations will announce.

You can be suspicious that man is causing global warming and understand that man does pollute his local environment and that there is virtually no debate over that issue.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Not really, the theories are divided. some say Global warming is caused by man induced carbon dioxide some say it is a natural weather pattern.

The problem is that a global warming trend is real, the debate is whether it is truly a man made problem that possibly can be reversed or a natural weather pattern trend that would have occured with or without man even on the planet.

Smog, contaminated underground water reserves, litter, soil contamination are not necessarily global warming factors, but is a factor in everyones local area to some degree.

Unlike the true cause of global warming, it can be demonstrated and there is not much of a debate what causes smog in the areas where it is harmful and even lethal on occasion. Some cities have a smog alert that the local weather stations will announce.

You can be suspicious that man is causing global warming and understand that man does pollute his local environment and that there is virtually no debate over that issue.
Ever been to Mexico City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity