Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I don't think it's a "Christian" problem, it's an American one. Go hug a tree.

Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,706 times
Actually it is a christian problem-the christian "systems' seeks to be the universal (like government, the environmental movement, and such). All systems, social systems compose the world, and each system in the world interprets the world; its environment [all other systems, including psychic systems] and itself. Each system, because it is distinct (you know, we can refer to family, government, military, store, class room, etc), has a distinct method [its operations] to do this interpretation. This gives a social system composed of these multiple systems within it, a multitude of views of "reality" from which to select from when implementing movement. If one system is privileged with a total view [say the USSR where government determined many scientific outcomes] and adopted by a society, the society loses multiple perspectives. This increases risk. For example, as a psychic system, an individual is similar to a social system (operation of the psychic is thoughts and the social is communications), and the various categories of thought present to the consciousness multiple possible perspectives. So, dumb the consciousness down [ie, eliminate concepts], one has less access to "reality," increasing risk. That is the common movement in our culture now, dumb it down, remove perspectives and return to the holler, and create a bunch of dunderheaded individual driven by ideology or one sided thinking.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshhome View Post
For if you really believe that God created all of nature, the animals, the plants the fresh air and clean water..why do you overall support a political party and agenda which is anathema to the environment and nature? And why don't your teachings and behavior reflect stewardships for God's masterpiece? One only needs to look to the recent push by the GOP to dismantle the EPA and their abominable efforts to favor big polluters and raping of existing resources..and the deafening silence from just about every pulpit on these matters.

I am no longer a Christian, but I must say, one of the first things that turned me off to Christianity was the total silence and insensitivity towards nature and environmental conservation which I experienced in just about every church.

And if you claim to follow the bible, why don't you hearken towards Deut which implies that 'if you defile the land, it will vomit you out?' Or how about 'God will destroy those who destroy the earth' in Rev 11? If you look deeply at your behaviors and attitudes, that one SHOULD really frighten you! The irony of it all is that when folks witness the damage which will soon increase to a critical level, they will surely blame the gays and the unbelievers.

I find the attitude of most Christians rather sickening, as they view the planet as a big disposable diaper, and also see the current destruction of nature as just fulfillment of bible prophecy. I guess they just aren't smart enough to realize that religious practices of domination and subduing of the planet are creating this self fulfilling prophecy. What we need is a new spirituality which reverences the creator by honoring his masterpiece- what we have now is the total opposite.
Based on former first hand experience, the possible reason why "Christians" often come across as environmentally insensitive may be due to the prosperity gospel peddled by many preachers. It's a message which cons "believers" into believing that God's blessings will manifest in the form of material wealth.

During my former church going days, I cannot count the number of times I heard. . . ."Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure - pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

Sadly, material wealth coupled with how much time was invested serving church needs was the barometer of one's faith and Christianity. What happened to that part of the gospel which compels us to have compassion for and reach out to widows, orphans, and the elderly? Why were we at times praying for the decimation of a nation and its people? For years, I questioned the validity of this behaviour until it finally stopped making sense.

I no longer attend churches, live a simple and environmentally friendly life, and am a better person for it.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Well according to my fundy dad, the world is going to burn in righteous judgement soon anyway, so worrying about the environment is futile.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Well according to my fundy dad, the world is going to burn in righteous judgement soon anyway, so worrying about the environment is futile.
Some people want to burn the world with their greed..

Old 08-30-2016, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 556 times
Default I'm an Evangelical Christian with an upset stomach.

Why aren't Christians faithful stewards of the creation God entrusted to mankind? I think an even more disturbing question is, Why aren't Christians faithful stewards of the mankind God created?

Both questions have the same answer: Because not everyone who claims to be a Christian is really a Christian, aka a Christ-follower. In fact, according to one poll only 45% of church attendees read the Bible more than once a week. 40% only read it maybe once or twice a month. ([url=http://www.christianitytoday.com]Christianity Today | Theology, Church, Culture[/url], "The Epidemic of Bible Illiteracy in Our Church") 1 in 5 churchgoers NEVER read the Bible. It's difficult to obey commands you don't know. Worse yet, it is impossible to love a Messiah you do not obey.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command." John 14:15

More staggering, is that Jesus pulled no punches about the fate of a person who chooses not to obey Him.

"Not everyone who ways to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ONLY the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 7:21 (emphasis mine)

And in Galatians 6:7-8:
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap DESTRUCTION; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." (emphasis mine)

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so DECIEVE yourselves. DO WHAT IT SAYS." James 1:22 (emphasis mine)

Someone said, "Sitting in a church no more makes you a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you a car." They may deceive themselves and even other people, but GOD cannot be mocked. The life of a genuine believer will be marked by the continual pursuit of loving God and others BETTER. Loving God, according to Jesus, IS obeying Him. Not warming a pew or posting pictures of Jesus on Facebook. We all miss the mark, but more importantly...What are we aiming at? If you're aiming to exploit the earth and the people in it to "please your own sinful nature" you will "reap destruction."

You think you're disgusted by hypocrisy in the American Church? I live my life bearing the name that is meant to say I've surrendered my self in obedience to Christ, but that has instead in this country come to mean "angry, destructive hypocrite." I am sick at heart and in stomach for the reproach the American Church has made my Lord's name in this country. I can only understand this tragedy in the context of what God says in His Word. He expected, predicted, and warned this very thing would happen and increase the closer we got to Judgement Day. I can only ask that non-Christians would avoid the same type of sweeping generalizations that falsely declare ALL Muslims terrorists, ALL Immigrants rapist and murderers, ALL Christians hypocrites. "Narrow the way that leads to life and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:14) We observe "few" people living genuine Christianity today just as Christ predicted 2,000+ years ago.

And most importantly, your choice is NOT faith in "Christians." Your choice is faith in Christ. If you have walked away from Christ because of the hypocrisy of those in the church, then your faith was grossly misplaced.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshhome View Post
For if you really believe that God created all of nature, the animals, the plants the fresh air and clean water..why do you overall support a political party and agenda which is anathema to the environment and nature? And why don't your teachings and behavior reflect stewardships for God's masterpiece? One only needs to look to the recent push by the GOP to dismantle the EPA and their abominable efforts to favor big polluters and raping of existing resources..and the deafening silence from just about every pulpit on these matters.

I am no longer a Christian, but I must say, one of the first things that turned me off to Christianity was the total silence and insensitivity towards nature and environmental conservation which I experienced in just about every church.

And if you claim to follow the bible, why don't you hearken towards Deut which implies that 'if you defile the land, it will vomit you out?' Or how about 'God will destroy those who destroy the earth' in Rev 11? If you look deeply at your behaviors and attitudes, that one SHOULD really frighten you! The irony of it all is that when folks witness the damage which will soon increase to a critical level, they will surely blame the gays and the unbelievers.

I find the attitude of most Christians rather sickening, as they view the planet as a big disposable diaper, and also see the current destruction of nature as just fulfillment of bible prophecy. I guess they just aren't smart enough to realize that religious practices of domination and subduing of the planet are creating this self fulfilling prophecy. What we need is a new spirituality which reverences the creator by honoring his masterpiece- what we have now is the total opposite.
Dear marsh,
And here you are, driving a car, living in more space than needed for 10 people, buying food from a energy intensive agriculture, flying to grandmas for Christmas, and supporting people like Gore and Clinton, who have their own large planes, and who do not turn the lights off when they leave the room. Maybe you should turn off your lights, powered by the coal industry, which includes turning off your water, which is pumped by the coal energy, and cancel your gas company connection, and simply weave your own blankets from dried reeds to keep yourself warm at night. Even though solar panels are fairly cheap, you still do not light your home with solar, nor do you have the money to buy an electric car, which gets it's energy from coal or nuclear. The ice in the artic is expanding, and the earth is cooling, not warming. That is why they changed the phrase "earth warming" to "climate change". They are simply selling a political agenda to uniformed suckers. Damn if they haven't found a mother load.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
.... Damn if they haven't found a mother load.
That would be "mother lode" signifying the main vein of an or deposit. "Load" is more like what you are purveying.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:19 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
That would be "mother lode" signifying the main vein of an ore deposit. "Load" is more like what you are purveying.
Hahaha, nate, you surprise me!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:27 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Problem is the environmentalist come from people who have no hope in God , where Christians put their hope in God even with over population , God has a plan and Life is it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity