Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I've been fighting this.......truly, I have. I changed my belief to UR, which sounded more reasonable to me and completely scriptural but now....and for quite a while.....I just can't do it anymore. I don't believe myself and I can't convince myself otherwise. I don't buy the Bible anymore, it's so contradictory and backward and there are some posts in another thread that finally prompted me to admit this. I see no evidence for belief, none at all.

When I really get down to the brass tax, all the arguments are just more indication to me that none of us really knows what we are talking about, and some of us don't know what to believe. I leave this open for discussion but I'm telling you, I just don't know anymore.

I have to take off, but feel free to comment however you see fit. I'll respond eventually.
I'm really sorry to hear this, Ilene. This must be an incredibly difficult time for you.

I do wonder one thing, though... When you say you're becoming agnostic, do you mean you are starting to wonder whether God even exists? Or are you just saying that you don't know what to believe about Him any more? If you still believe He exists, have you taken your concerns to Him directly? I would suggest you ask Him for wisdom if you haven't already. Meanwhile, no matter how you feel or what you believe, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Proverbs 12:5
The plans of the righteous are just, but the advice of the wicked is deceitful.

Proverb 22:12
The eyes of the LORD keep watch over knowledge, but he frustrates the words of the unfaithful.
God's opinion is that anyone who endores the being agnostic are but " the advice of the wicked is deceitful" and " the more showing that he frustrates the words of the unfaithful" .

the deceitful advice is:
  • being agnostic is entering a new stage of spiritual maturity
  • being agnostic gives us the most peace
  • being agnostic was something Jesus propheiced about not having any eternal consequences
  • Christianity is not the nothing more than a reworking and rehashing of older religious beliefs
God's advice: Ilene.....do not forsake my teaching
Proverbs 4:2
I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching.
"If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever."

I agree that telling someone that "being agnostic is entering a new stage of spiritual maturity" is horribly poor spiritual advice. Of course it does not sound like it is advice, but rather people deliberatly leading someone in the wrong direction.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this, Ilene. This must be an incredibly difficult time for you.

I do wonder one thing, though... When you say you're becoming agnostic, do you mean you are starting to wonder whether God even exists? Or are you just saying that you don't know what to believe about Him any more? If you still believe He exists, have you taken your concerns to Him directly? I would suggest you ask Him for wisdom if you haven't already. Meanwhile, no matter how you feel or what you believe, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
There you go. This is much better advice.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,679 times
Exclamation The testimony/Biblical exposition by Charles Slagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Good link, BHFT. I met Charles, the author of Gobbledygook Gospel in person a number of years ago at a UR Christian conference in Texas. He sure went through a long hard struggle with his faith and has emerged a better man.
His testimony/Biblical exposition,
ABOLUTE ASSURANCE IN JESUS CHRIST
on the same website as The Gobbledygook Gospel
has helped many people (including me), and no doubt will help many more.
Absolute Assurance

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Wow, I gotta get back here and read the thread.....thanks everyone for your responses. I'll be back later to respond.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

That's the best advice anyone has given her.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
I made the journey similar to yours. It is scary at first, bewildering, and in the short term it can lead to a feeling of emptyness and depression. There are so many new questions that you have to face when God is no longer assumed to be true, and the answers aren't always settling. Those feelings are natural, and you shouldn't deny them if you have them.

But know this, you will find resolution and come out of the process stronger then when you went in. More self assured, more comfortable in your own skin. Things will make more sense to you when you can answer questions with an honest "I don't know," rather then always searching for a way to reconcile your logical mind with theistic beliefs.

The journey out of theism is challenging but rewarding. It's worth the fight. Be strong, and if you ever need any support or you want to know how I delt with some of the same struggles you may have, feel free to IM me.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
I've been fighting this.......truly, I have. I changed my belief to UR, which sounded more reasonable to me and completely scriptural but now....and for quite a while.....I just can't do it anymore. I don't believe myself and I can't convince myself otherwise. I don't buy the Bible anymore, it's so contradictory and backward and there are some posts in another thread that finally prompted me to admit this. I see no evidence for belief, none at all.

When I really get down to the brass tax, all the arguments are just more indication to me that none of us really knows what we are talking about, and some of us don't know what to believe.

I leave this open for discussion but I'm telling you, I just don't know anymore.
Ilene, this is basically very similar to why I'm not under the label of "christian" anymore (especially what I've highlighted in bold). To delineate, I believe much of the christian teachings will help to lead a spiritually rewarding life; however, the concept of a "god" to me just does not ring true. And for better or worse, I just cannot lie to myself; perhaps I have the troublesome propensity to know whether what I profess I believe to others is what I truly believe in my heart and, unfortunately, much of the christian doctrines are not what I believe in my heart.

Some years back I was almost convinced I was an atheist (and I believe technically I still am), yet that also did not sit right with me. I've since come a long way in defining my own spiritual beliefs, and this is the furthest I've ever been with having an inner peace spiritually. This is what I believe is most important, for whatever you may speak to others and perhaps be convinced you believe in your mind--if it is not true in your heart, then it is only a facade. Times that call for inner strength, a foundation that is weak like that will crumble, and perhaps only then will this weakness be revealed.

Whatever you may believe, know that times of doubt and setback will occur. I wish you the best in your spiritual journey.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:

When I really get down to the brass tax, all the arguments are just more indication to me that none of us really knows what we are talking about, and some of us don't know what to believe. I leave this open for discussion but I'm telling you, I just don't know anymore.

I have to take off, but feel free to comment however you see fit. I'll respond eventually.
The reason there are contradictions in some bibles is due to poor translations.

The reason some believers contradict other believers is both groups do not know how to rightly divide or "correctly cut" the word of God.

I really know what I am talking about.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,221 times
"Doubt can be a tool in God's hand wielded, in the lives of those who allow it, for the strengthening, not the destruction of faith."

~ George MacDonald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity