Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Soviet union, If I remember correctly, about 20 or 30 years ago, decided to institute a 10 day work week, beings they did not believe in Hawyaw, the Sabbath did not apply to them, or so they thought, and the results were that there was a significant increase in violence, murders and even the work animals were attacking their masters and each other...Therefore, proving that no matter whether they believed in Hawyaw or not, their violation of His commandment brought dire consequences and proving that the Sabbath was made for the man, not man for the Sabbath...So, when asked whether to observe the Sabbath or not, one man holds one day above another, let each be convinced in his own mind...IOW, it is the intention of Hawyaw for man to work 6 days and rest the 7th...It does not matter which day, but, one must rest every 7 days...
Bolded by Verna.
The gospel according to Richard...this ^^^ is a lie from the pit of hell Richard.

I will not even ask you to prove this in Scripture because you cannot prove this lie with Scripture...no...you're just another one who twists every passage he can get his hands onto...I believe you just type to hear the keys tap.

Keep believing that lie...oh...and by the way...keep teaching others that lie too...see where it gets you on Judgement Day....when you stand before the King...our Righteous Judge...it will not go well !

Don't even bother answering this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM

267 posts, read 297,198 times
Quote:
You really have no isea what I know about linguistisa...I've been involved in linguistics since the age of 8, delving into every nook and crany, I am now 46...Reading what you have written here, I have seen and read about before...It matters not what you think you know regarding my academic status...However, regarding yours, I know all to well, for I have studied these things with an open mind searching for Truth of Hawyaw...You seem relatively new to JW...
LOL! Crowing about your credentials and demeaning mine is just tilting at windmills. However, it is wise of you to not actually post anymore of your "academic" views on John 1:1c. "I read it and it says...." just does not satisfy all of us as it does you, no matter how much you crow.
κα θες ν λόγος

kai theos en ho logos

and a god was the word
This is the ACCURATE interlinear!

All authoritative references agree that theos, without the difinitive article ho, is lexically translated as "a god". Even the theological references have to acknowledge this fact although they keep the admission subdued because their customers are trinitarians, as are their authors. No one would buy their materials if they did not provide support for THEIR beliefs.
Strong’s Concordance
theos: God, a god
Original Word: θεός, ο,
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: theos
Phonetic Spelling: (theh'-os)
Short Definition: God, a god
Definition: (a) God, (b) a god, generally.
Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
the supreme Divinity, God, godly.
Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with ho) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very -- X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward).
see GREEK ho

Vine's Expository Dictionary
<1,,2316,theos>
(1) in the polytheism of the Greeks, denoted "a god or deity,"....
Theologians do not make this information obvious; they place their trinitarian bias in the foreground and unexplained. However, they are still required to include the lexically accurate information to maintain a semblance of academic integrity. If you look to any credible academic Koine Greek lexicon you will find no reference to theos (without definate article ho) lexically identified with the personal pronoun God.

As is readily obvious to any one with eyes, John excluded the ho (the definite article) before theos in John 1:1c.

Anytime we see this translated as “God” in an interlinear we know to question their credibility: they have not produced an lexically accurate interlinear, but have already interjected their trinitarian interpretation.

Once this FACT about the lexically accurate John 1:1c is acknowledged there is much to discuss about the work of translation. However, as long as people deny what John has actually written, there is no basis for an academic discussion of it's accurate translation.

Last edited by BWW1962; 12-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: format

Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Christianity is the belief in Jesus and that he's the only way to Heaven. There is no Christian "church" that guides our thoughts, beliefs, etc. Christians read the Bible and do what it says (or at least, they should).

On the other hand, the JW church is controlled by the Watchtower. An organization that tells them what to believe, how to act, what they must do to please God, etc.

There are offshoots of Christianity that have organizations leading the way, but true Christianity is a personal relationship between Jesus as my savior and I. Period. No organization telling me what I need to know or translating the Bible for me. No organization constantly changing the beliefs of the church (VERY common in the JW church).

It's the difference between religion and Faith. Christians have a personal relationship with Jesus and can read the Bible on their own. JW members have a personal relationship with the watchtower, who tells them what to believe.

I opt for speaking directly to the head honcho myself. Not someone claiming they know better than I what Jesus wants for my life.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Bolded by Verna.
The gospel according to Richard...this ^^^ is a lie from the pit of hell Richard.

I will not even ask you to prove this in Scripture because you cannot prove this lie with Scripture...no...you're just another one who twists every passage he can get his hands onto...I believe you just type to hear the keys tap.

Keep believing that lie...oh...and by the way...keep teaching others that lie too...see where it gets you on Judgement Day....when you stand before the King...our Righteous Judge...it will not go well !

Don't even bother answering this.
Why don't you tell me what the Sabbath means to you...That would be nice...

For six days you may perform melachah, but the seventh day is a complete Sabbath, holy to the L-RD ... it is an eternal sign that in six days, the L-RD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed. -Exodus 31:15-17

Old 12-30-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
LOL! Crowing about your credentials and demeaning mine is just tilting at windmills. However, it is wise of you to not actually post anymore of your "academic" views on John 1:1c. "I read it and it says...." just does not satisfy all of us as it does you, no matter how much you crow.
κα θες ν λόγος

kai theos en ho logos

and a god was the word
This is the ACCURATE interlinear!

All authoritative references agree that theos, without the difinitive article ho, is lexically translated as "a god". Even the theological references have to acknowledge this fact although they keep the admission subdued because their customers are trinitarians, as are their authors. No one would buy their materials if they did not provide support for THEIR beliefs.
Strong’s Concordance
theos: God, a god
Original Word: θεός, ο,
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: theos
Phonetic Spelling: (theh'-os)
Short Definition: God, a god
Definition: (a) God, (b) a god, generally.
Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
the supreme Divinity, God, godly.
Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with ho) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very -- X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward).
see GREEK ho

Vine's Expository Dictionary
<1,,2316,theos>
(1) in the polytheism of the Greeks, denoted "a god or deity,"....
Theologians do not make this information obvious; they place their trinitarian bias in the foreground and unexplained. However, they are still required to include the lexically accurate information to maintain a semblance of academic integrity. If you look to any credible academic Koine Greek lexicon you will find no reference to theos (without definate article ho) lexically identified with the personal pronoun God.

As is readily obvious to any one with eyes, John excluded the ho (the definite article) before theos in John 1:1c.

Anytime we see this translated as “God†in an interlinear we know to question their credibility: they have not produced an lexically accurate interlinear, but have already interjected their trinitarian interpretation.

Once this FACT about the lexically accurate John 1:1c is acknowledged there is much to discuss about the work of translation. However, as long as people deny what John has actually written, there is no basis for an academic discussion of it's accurate translation.
θεός
theos
theh'-os
Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively a magistrate; by Hebraism very: - X exceeding, God, god [-ly, -ward].

G3588
ο, η, τό
ho hē to
ho, hay, to
The masculine, feminine (second) and neuter (third) forms, in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom): - the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.

Joh 1:18 θεον ουδεις εωρακεν πωποτε TSBο μονογενης Aθεος TSBυιος ο ων εις τον κολπον του πατρος εκεινος εξηγησατο

One sees theon and theos in this verse, It is well known who it is speaking of, so where are the definite articles...Neither has them...How long have you been a witness?....

Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Christianity is the belief in Jesus and that he's the only way to Heaven. There is no Christian "church" that guides our thoughts, beliefs, etc. Christians read the Bible and do what it says (or at least, they should).

On the other hand, the JW church is controlled by the Watchtower. An organization that tells them what to believe, how to act, what they must do to please God, etc.

There are offshoots of Christianity that have organizations leading the way, but true Christianity is a personal relationship between Jesus as my savior and I. Period. No organization telling me what I need to know or translating the Bible for me. No organization constantly changing the beliefs of the church (VERY common in the JW church).

It's the difference between religion and Faith. Christians have a personal relationship with Jesus and can read the Bible on their own. JW members have a personal relationship with the watchtower, who tells them what to believe.

I opt for speaking directly to the head honcho myself. Not someone claiming they know better than I what Jesus wants for my life.
And let us not forget the fact that Charles Taze Russel, the founder of the Russellites, was a Mason...Which the JWs are vehemently against...funny...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Why don't you tell me what the Sabbath means to you...That would be nice...

For six days you may perform melachah, but the seventh day is a complete Sabbath, holy to the L-RD ... it is an eternal sign that in six days, the L-RD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed. -Exodus 31:15-17
Don't play with me......I know you have to be smarter than this...

Richard, Pay attention... ...focus... ...o.k, are you listening ? ...shhhh ! ...listen... good boy ... now...

......grab your dictionary, now...go to the S's...now, look for Sa...very good...now, look for Sab...then find Sabb...now, find Sabba...next, find Sabbat...finally, find Sabbath...put your glasses on SO YOU CAN READ IT ! ...now read with me......ready !...begin......

Sabbath n. Abbr S., Sab. 1.The SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK, SATURDAY, named in the TEN COMMANDMENTS as the day OF REST and WORSHIP and observed by the Jews and some Christian sects.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Did you get that Richard ? Sabbath, by its very definition, means SATURDAY !

...and now, lets look together what the word Sabbath means ... ready ?...

4521 sabaton; of Hebrew; the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or DAY OF WEEKLY REPOSE FROM SECULAR AVOCATIONS (also the OBSERVANCE or institution itself); by extens. a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plur. in all the above applications; -sabbath (day), week.
STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE (I'll say !) CONCORDANCE of the Bible.

God Bless you Richard...and may he bless you with spiritual "EYESIGHT" and understanding...and the wisdom to live it ! ! !

In Christ,
Verna.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,160 times
Quote:
And let us not forget the fact that Charles Taze Russel, the founder of the Russellites, was a Mason...Which the JWs are vehemently against...funny...
They've changed their minds quite a few times on things...that's just par for the course.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Don't play with me......I know you have to be smarter than this...

Richard, Pay attention... ...focus... ...o.k, are you listening ? ...shhhh ! ...listen... good boy ... now...

......grab your dictionary, now...go to the S's...now, look for Sa...very good...now, look for Sab...then find Sabb...now, find Sabba...next, find Sabbat...finally, find Sabbath...put your glasses on SO YOU CAN READ IT ! ...now read with me......ready !...begin......

Sabbath n. Abbr S., Sab. 1.The SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK, SATURDAY, named in the TEN COMMANDMENTS as the day OF REST and WORSHIP and observed by the Jews and some Christian sects.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Did you get that Richard ? Sabbath, by its very definition, means SATURDAY !

...and now, lets look together what the word Sabbath means ... ready ?...

4521 sabaton; of Hebrew; the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or DAY OF WEEKLY REPOSE FROM SECULAR AVOCATIONS (also the OBSERVANCE or institution itself); by extens. a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plur. in all the above applications; -sabbath (day), week.
STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE (I'll say !) CONCORDANCE of the Bible.

God Bless you Richard...and may he bless you with spiritual "EYESIGHT" and understanding...and the wisdom to live it ! ! !

In Christ,
Verna.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)

Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I've heard most groups of Christianity make this claim at some time or another, especially Conservatives. They essentially believe if you don't accept things exactly as they do you're not a "True Christian".

JWs aren't exactly the only ones who use that absurd fallacy.
Best and most direct answer I've read in this thread to the Originally stated question! Every time I see this thread pop up again, I expect it to be about the Jehovah's Witness church - but it goes way off from that into all sorts of highways and bi-ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity