Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 AM

267 posts, read 297,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Joh 1:18 θεον ουδεις εωρακεν πωποτε TSBο μονογενης Aθεος TSBυιος ο ων εις τον κολπον του πατρος εκεινος εξηγησατο

One sees theon and theos in this verse, It is well known who it is speaking of, so where are the definite articles...Neither has them...How long have you been a witness?....
LOL! At this point the question is can YOU explain it?

"It is well known who it is speaking of" is hardly a demonstration that you have even the slightest idea of what you are talking about. LOL!

The basics are, the grammatical structure is different, theon (N-AMS) is not the same as theos (N-NMS), and bias motivates trinitarians to employ the bogus grammatical rule, Colwell's rule.

Colwell's rule is NOT accepted in academia for Koine Greek translation and is only employed by theologians who engage in "Bible" Greek translation, which is a faux scholarly pursuit. It is like someone claiming to have a developed a global model for predicting global warming, having only studied the temperature changes in Texas over the last decade; AND having tested the model, it does not even work for Texas. There are 15 instances in the Bible text that proves Colwell's Rule is not a rule at all. It is more aptly named Colwell's Excuse.

The accurate formal equivalence translation is:
(John 1:18) 18 No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him. (NWT)
KJV is supposed to be formal equivalance but they translate as:
(John 1:18) 18 No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him. (KJV)
And then there is dynamic equivalance that looks nothing like the original Koine Greek:
(John 1:18) 18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known. (NIV)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)
Nah ...it's this new pound of coffee I got as a gift from my sister...called Pumpkin Spice...I had 3 cups this morning and wow! I've been going full steam ahead all morning this morning ! It's all good!...no harm meant....I'm just releasing a little energy today !

God Bless !
Verna.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Don't play with me......I know you have to be smarter than this...
Oh, I am much smarter...That is why I know for a fact that you misunderstand the True meaning of Shabbat...

Quote:
Richard, Pay attention... ...focus... ...o.k, are you listening ? ...shhhh ! ...listen... good boy ... now...

......grab your dictionary, now...go to the S's...now, look for Sa...very good...now, look for Sab...then find Sabb...now, find Sabba...next, find Sabbat...finally, find Sabbath...put your glasses on SO YOU CAN READ IT ! ...now read with me......ready !...begin......
Shabbat - to end, to cease, to rest...Did you even read the Jewish faq?...

Quote:
Sabbath n. Abbr S., Sab. 1.The SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK, SATURDAY, named in the TEN COMMANDMENTS as the day OF REST and WORSHIP and observed by the Jews and some Christian sects.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Did you get that Richard ? Sabbath, by its very definition, means SATURDAY !

...and now, lets look together what the word Sabbath means ... ready ?...

4521 sabaton; of Hebrew; the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or DAY OF WEEKLY REPOSE FROM SECULAR AVOCATIONS (also the OBSERVANCE or institution itself); by extens. a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plur. in all the above applications; -sabbath (day), week.
STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE (I'll say !) CONCORDANCE of the Bible.

God Bless you Richard...and may he bless you with spiritual "EYESIGHT" and understanding...and the wisdom to live it ! ! !

In Christ,
Verna.
H7676
שׁבּת
shabbâth
shab-bawth'
Intensive from H7673; intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: - (+ every) sabbath.

H7673
שׁבת
shâbath
shaw-bath'
A primitive root; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

Yes, I know it is saturday, duh...It is from sun down Friday to sundown saturday...However, I asked 'What does the Sabbath mean to you'...Not 'what does someone else say the Sabbath mean'...Do you observe the Sabbath in the manner that you are required to?...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
They've changed their minds quite a few times on things...that's just par for the course.
Now they say it is ok to be a Mason?...Isn't this kind of behavior spoken of in the NT as 'unstable', 'fickle', like the waves of the ocean?...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)
Thanks for standing up for me there...However, as I have grown in knowledge, so have I grown in patience...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
LOL! At this point the question is can YOU explain it?

"It is well known who it is speaking of" is hardly a demonstration that you have even the slightest idea of what you are talking about. LOL!

The basics are, the grammatical structure is different, theon (N-AMS) is not the same as theos (N-NMS), and bias motivates trinitarians to employ the bogus grammatical rule, Colwell's rule.

Colwell's rule is NOT accepted in academia for Koine Greek translation and is only employed by theologians who engage in "Bible" Greek translation, which is a faux scholarly pursuit. It is like someone claiming to have a developed a global model for predicting global warming, having only studied the temperature changes in Texas over the last decade; AND having tested the model, it does not even work for Texas. There are 15 instances in the Bible text that proves Colwell's Rule is not a rule at all. It is more aptly named Colwell's Excuse.

The accurate formal equivalence translation is:
(John 1:18) 18 No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him. (NWT)
KJV is supposed to be formal equivalance but they translate as:
(John 1:18) 18 No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him. (KJV)
And then there is dynamic equivalance that looks nothing like the original Koine Greek:
(John 1:18) 18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known. (NIV)
You never did answer my question...How long have you been a JW?...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 AM

the difference between Theon
and Theos. Both words mean God equally. The difference is Theon is in the
accusitive case (it is the direct object of the sentence) and theos is in
the nominative case (it is the subject of the sentence).

In the English, word order within a sentence informs the reader of which
words are the subject and which word is the direct object. This is not
true in the Greek. The clues used to figure out the subject and direct
objects of a sentence are called "case endings".

The root of God in the Greek is : Theo

The ending sigma (s) shows that Theos within a sentence is the subject
of that sentence. Thus, the case ending is nominative (singular
masculine).

The ending nu (n) shows that Theon within a sentence is the direct
object. Thus, the case ending is accusative (singular masculine).

AND if both nouns in a sentence both end in a sigma, as in John 1:1c, the
definite article, ho, is called the "indicating subject", and its
function is to point out to the reader that logos, not theos, is the
subject of the clause. - Re: JOHN 1:1

Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
I'm pondering...

Did Jesus say, He came, to show them He was God?

Didn't Jesus say He came to show them 'The Father' ?

Jesus Saying, He and The Father are One.
And not that, He and God are One?

Which, Jesus & The Father being One?
Wouldn't Jesus and The Father mean Two, are One?
And not Three, are One?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
"...Yes, I know it is saturday, duh...It is from sun down Friday to sundown saturday...However, I asked 'What does the Sabbath mean to you'...Not 'what does someone else say the Sabbath mean'
...huh ? No...this is what you said Richard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
The Soviet union, If I remember correctly, about 20 or 30 years ago, decided to institute a 10 day work week, beings they did not believe in Hawyaw, the Sabbath did not apply to them, or so they thought, and the results were that there was a significant increase in violence, murders and even the work animals were attacking their masters and each other...Therefore, proving that no matter whether they believed in Hawyaw or not, their violation of His commandment brought dire consequences and proving that the Sabbath was made for the man, not man for the Sabbath...So, when asked whether to observe the Sabbath or not, one man holds one day above another, let each be convinced in his own mind...IOW, it is the intention of Hawyaw for man to work 6 days and rest the 7th...It does not matter which day, but, one must rest every 7 days...

...to which I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry
Bolded by Verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry
The gospel according to Richard...this ^^^ is a lie from the pit of hell Richard.

...Do you observe the Sabbath in the manner that you are required to?...[/quote]

Thus I had to direct you to the DICTIONARY to show you that it is Saturday !...NOT ! "...it doesnt matter which day..."

It absolutely DOES matter which DAY !

Blessings,
Verna.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
...huh ? No...this is what you said Richard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
The Soviet union, If I remember correctly, about 20 or 30 years ago, decided to institute a 10 day work week, beings they did not believe in Hawyaw, the Sabbath did not apply to them, or so they thought, and the results were that there was a significant increase in violence, murders and even the work animals were attacking their masters and each other...Therefore, proving that no matter whether they believed in Hawyaw or not, their violation of His commandment brought dire consequences and proving that the Sabbath was made for the man, not man for the Sabbath...So, when asked whether to observe the Sabbath or not, one man holds one day above another, let each be convinced in his own mind...IOW, it is the intention of Hawyaw for man to work 6 days and rest the 7th...It does not matter which day, but, one must rest every 7 days...

...to which I replied:

[font=Arial Black]

...Do you observe the Sabbath in the manner that you are required to?...
Thus I had to direct you to the DICTIONARY to show you that it is Saturday !...NOT ! "...it doesnt matter which day..."

It absolutely DOES matter which DAY !

Blessings,
Verna.[/quote]

In regards to the SU I was pointing out that regardless of whether they believed in Hawyaw or not, that when they violated His commandment, it brought on dire consequences...And the dictionary does not define in detail what the Sahabbat is with regards to Jewish law and customs...The Shabbat, says the Jew, is the most misunderstood commandment, especially with regards to the Gentile...The Shabbat is a Gift from Hawyaw and is cherished and looked forward to with eagerness, for it is a day of rest from ones usual vocation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity