Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times

Advertisements

This thread will be looking at whether or not Jesus and the apostles quoted from or made reference to any apocryphal books.

Preface

We hear all the time that Jesus and the apostles never quote or refer to the apocryphal books, therefore the apocryphal books are not inspired by God. Most people believe this without even looking at the apocryphal books themselves, trusting in men to tell them these books were uninspired and never referenced by Jesus or the apostles.

However are these statements really true? Does not Jude quote a prophesy from the 1st book of Enoch? And is not Enoch considered an apocryphal book?

Why is the book of Enoch then not in our bibles as it is in the Ethiopian bible.

So many seem to believe the bible equals scripture, if that is so which bible? As mentioned the Ethiopian bible contains the book of Enoch, some other bibles do not contain the book of Revelation, the catholic bible contains some of the apocryphal books but not all of them. So which bible is it that is equal to scripture? Who gets to pick and choose what bible consists of scripture and what bible does not.

Even in the early church, the bible contained some of the apocryphal books , and excluded the book of Revelation.

People say all the time God is well able to keep the bible and did so, yet if one does a search of the bible through history one can easily see that some books have been added and some books have been rejected that once were considered scripture.

What! Did God change His mind on what is scripture and what is not scripture?

If the bible is the unadulterated word of God how can these things have taken place? How can anyone proclaim that the bible has never been added to or things deleted from it when anyone who has taken the time to look into the history of the bible can easily see that these things have indeed happened.

I don't know about you readers, but because the bible has been added to and deleted from, I don't see how anyone can say the bible is the unadulterated word of God.

When we look to what Jesus says concerning scripture and what the Father says concerning His son (Jesus) we begin to understand that Jesus Christ is the unadulterated Word of God and Him alone.

Jesus said this concerning the scriptures

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

To break that down Jesus is saying

Jesus said to the Jews that ye search the scripture for in them (the scriptures) ye think ye have eternal life ( and many today think just as the Jews did in the time of Christ) but the scriptures testify of me, and ye WILL NOT COME TO ME that ye might HAVE LIFE.

Where does Jesus tell them LIFE is? Does He tell them LIFE is found in the scriptures? NO

He tells them they must come to Him to find LIFE.

If the scriptures were the WORD of God surely LIFE would have been found within them don't ya think?

The Father testifying of Jesus says this

And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 4Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 5While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

To break this down the Father is saying

Hear Jesus, and the Father says this at the exclusion of Moses and Elijah, who are a representation of the law and the prophets, whom Peter wanted to build tabernacles to.

Peters testimony of Jesus

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life

To break this down Peter says to whom shall we go? Did not Peter have Moses and the prophets whom he could go to? Sure he did, but at the exclusion of Moses and the prophets Peter says (speaking of Jesus) thou hast the words of eternal life.

The Father, the apostles and the scriptures themselves teach us that Jesus Christ and Him alone is the Word of God.

So to the task at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Did Jesus or the apostles quote or reference any of the apocryphal books.

From the book of Baruch

Baruch
11 And pray for the life of Nabuchodonosor king of Babylon, and for the life of Balthasar his son, that their days may be upon earth as the days of heaven: 12 And the Lord will give us strength, and lighten our eyes, and we shall live under the shadow of Nabuchodonosor king of Babylon, and under the shadow of Balthasar his son, and we shall serve them many days, and find favour in their sight.

1 Timothy 2:1-2
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Sacrificing unto devils

Baruch 4:7
For ye provoked him that made you by sacrificing unto devils, and not to God.

1 Corinthians 10:20
20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Baruch 4:36-37

36 O Jerusalem, look about thee toward the east, and behold the joy that cometh unto thee from God. 37 Lo, thy sons come, whom thou sentest away, they come gathered together from the east to the west by the word of the Holy One, rejoicing in the glory of God.

Matthew 8:11-12
11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 13:29
29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM

From the book of Sirach

Sirach 1:4-10
4 Wisdom hath been created before all things, and the understanding of prudence from everlasting. 5 The word of God most high is the fountain of wisdom; and her ways are everlasting commandments. 6 To whom hath the root of wisdom been revealed? or who hath known her wise counsels? 7 Unto whom hath the knowledge of wisdom been made manifest? and who hath understood her great experience?8 There is one wise and greatly to be feared, the Lord sitting upon his throne. 9 He created her, and saw her, and numbered her, and poured her out upon all his works.10 She is with all flesh according to his gift, and he hath given her to them that love him.

1 Corinthians 2:6-8
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Sirach1:24-30
24 He will hide his words for a time, and the lips of many shall declare his wisdom. 25 The parables of knowledge are in the treasures of wisdom: but godliness is an abomination to a sinner. 26 If thou desire wisdom, keep the commandments, and the Lord shall give her unto thee.
27 For the fear of the Lord is wisdom and instruction: and faith and meekness are his delight. 28 Distrust not the fear of the Lord when thou art poor: and come not unto him with a double heart. 29 Be not an hypocrite in the sight of men, and take good heed what thou speakest. 30 Exalt not thyself, lest thou fall, and bring dishonour upon thy soul, and so God discover thy secrets, and cast thee down in the midst of the congregation, because thou camest not in truth to the fear of the Lord, but thy heart is full of deceit.

Colossians 2:3
3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Acts 13:10
10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

Count it all Joy when tried

Sirach 2:1-5
2:1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation. 2 Set thy heart aright, and constantly endure, and make not haste in time of trouble. 3 Cleave unto him, and depart not away, that thou mayest be increased at thy last end. 4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

James 1:2
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

1 Peter 1:7
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Sirach 5:11-15
11 Be swift to hear; and let thy life be sincere; and with patience give answer. 12 If thou hast understanding, answer thy neighbour; if not, lay thy hand upon thy mouth. 13 Honour and shame is in talk: and the tongue of man is his fall.14 Be not called a whisperer, and lie not in wait with thy tongue: for a foul shame is upon the thief, and an evil condemnation upon the double tongue.15 Be not ignorant of any thing in a great matter or a small.

James 1:19
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

James 3:6
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

James 3:10
10 Out of the samemouth proceedeth blessing and cursing (double tongue). My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Vain repetitions in prayer

Sirach 7:14
14 Use not many words in a multitude of elders, and make not much babbling when thou prayest.

Matthew 6:7
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Sirach 7:32-36
32 And stretch thine hand unto the poor, that thy blessing may be perfected.33 A gift hath grace in the sight of every man living; and for the dead detain it not. 34 Fail not to be with them that weep, and mourn with them that mourn.35 Be not slow to visit the sick: fir that shall make thee to be beloved. 36 Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss.

Matthew 25:36
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Romans 12:15
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

Sirach 9:8
8 Turn away thine eye from a beautiful woman, and look not upon another’s beauty; for many have been deceived by the beauty of a woman; for herewith love is kindled as a fire.

Matthew 5:28
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Exalting them of low degree

Sirach 10:14
14 The Lord hath cast down the thrones of proud princes, and set up the meek in their stead.

Luke 1:52
52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.

What concord hath Christ with Belial?

Sirach 13:17
17 What fellowship hath the wolf with the lamb? so the sinner with the godly.

2 Corinthians 6:15
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

Man created to live not die

Sirach 15:11-20
11 Say not thou, It is through the Lord that I fell away: for thou oughtest not to do the things that he hateth. 12 Say not thou, He hath caused me to err: for he hath no need of the sinful man.
13 The Lord hateth all abomination; and they that fear God love it not. 14 He himself made man from the beginning, and left him in the hand of his counsel; 15 If thou wilt, to keep the commandments, and to perform acceptable faithfulness. 16 He hath set fire and water before thee: stretch forth thy hand unto whether thou wilt. 17 Before man is life and death; and whether him liketh shall be given him. 18 For the wisdom of the Lord is great, and he is mighty in power, and beholdeth all things: 19 And his eyes are upon them that fear him, and he knoweth every work of man. 20 He hath commanded no man to do wickedly, neither hath he given any man licence to sin.

James 1:13
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Judgment according to works

Sirach 16:12
12 As his mercy is great, so is his correction also: he judgeth aman according to his works

Revelation 20:12
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Fruit of the tree

Sirach 27:6
6 The fruit declareth if the tree have been dressed; so is the utterance of a conceit in the heart of man.

Matthew 7:16-20
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Forgive us our debts

Sirach 28:2
2 Forgive thy neighbour the hurt that he hath done unto thee, so shall thy sins also be forgiven when thou prayest

Matthew 6:12-15
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Sirach 29:11
Lay up thy treasure according to the commandments of the most High, and it shall bring thee more profit than gold.

Matthew 6:19-21
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Sirach 37:28
28 For all things are not profitable for all men, neither hath every soul pleasure in every thing.

1 Corinthians 6:12
12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Enoch’s translation

Sirach
16 Enoch pleased the Lord, and was translated, being an example of repentance to all generations.

Hebrews 11:5
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM

From the book of Wisdom (this is a really good book)

Clear picture of our suffering Lord

Wisdom 2:12-24
12 Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education. 13 He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.14 He was made to reprove our thoughts. 15 He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men’s, his ways are of another fashion. 16 We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.
17 Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him. 18 For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies. 19 Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.20 Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.
21 Such things they did imagine, and were deceived: for their own wickedness hath blinded them. 22 As for the mysteries of God, they knew them not: neither hoped they for the wages of righteousness, nor discerned a reward for blameless souls.
23 For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity. 24 Nevertheless through envy of the devil came death into the world: and they that do hold of his side do find it.

Matthew 27:43
43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

John 5:18
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Mark 15:29
29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

Mark 4:11
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

John 8:44
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Romans 5:12
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Wisdom 3:8-9
8 They shall judge the nations, and have dominion over the people, and their Lord shall reign for ever. 9 They that put their trust in him shall understand the truth: and such as be faithful in love shall abide with him: for grace and mercy is to his saints, and he hath care for his elect.

1 Corinthians 6:2
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

John 15:9-11
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Whole armour of God

Wisdom 5:16-22
16 Therefore shall they receive a glorious kingdom, and a beautiful crown from the Lord’s hand: for with his right hand shall he cover them, and with his arm shall he protect them.
17 He shall take to him his jealousy for complete armour, and make the creature his weapon for the revenge of his enemies. 18 He shall put on righteousness as a breastplate, and true judgment instead of an helmet.19 He shall take holiness for an invincible shield.20 His severe wrath shall he sharpen for a sword, and the world shall fight with him against the unwise.
21 Then shall the right aiming thunderbolts go abroad; and from the clouds, as from a well drawn bow, shall they fly to the mark. 22 And hailstones full of wrath shall be cast as out of a stone bow, and the water of the sea shall rage against them, and the floods shall cruelly drown them.

2 Timothy 4:8
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Ephesians 6:12-16
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

1 Thessalonians 5:8
8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Luke 21:25
25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Love is the fulfilling of the law

Wisdom 6:18
18 And love is the keeping of her laws; and the giving heed unto her laws is the assurance of incorruption;

John 14:15
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Romans 13:10
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

All things created by His word

Wisdom 9:1
9:1 O God of my fathers, and Lord of mercy, who hast made all things with thy word,

John 1:3
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Who hath known the mind of the Lord

Wisdom 9:13
13 For what man is he that can know the counsel of God? or who can think what the will of the Lord is?

1 Corinthians 2:16
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Changed God image into the likeness of beasts

Wisdom 11:15
15 But for the foolish devices of their wickedness, wherewith being deceived they worshipped serpents void of reason, and vile beasts, thou didst send a multitude of unreasonable beasts upon them for vengeance;

Romans 1:23
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Why doth he yet find fault?

Wisdom 12:12
12 For who shall say, What hast thou done? or who shall withstand thy judgment? or who shall accuse thee for the nations that perish, whom thou made? or who shall come to stand against thee, to be revenged for the unrighteous men?

Romans 9:19
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

They are without excuse

Wisdom 13:1-3
1 Surely vain are all men by nature, who are ignorant of God, and could not out of the good things that are seen know him that is: neither by considering the works did they acknowledge the workmaster;2 But deemed either fire, or wind, or the swift air, or the circle of the stars, or the violent water, or the lights of heaven, to be the gods which govern the world. 3 With whose beauty if they being delighted took them to be gods; let them know how much better the Lord of them is: for the first author of beauty hath created them

Romans 1:19-21
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

The work of mans hands

Wisdom 13:10
10 But miserable are they, and in dead things is their hope, who call them gods, which are the works of men’s hands, gold and silver, to shew art in, and resemblances of beasts, or a stone good for nothing, the work of an ancient hand.

Acts 17:29
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Vessels out of the same lump of clay

Wisdom 15:7
7 For the potter, tempering soft earth, fashioneth every vessel with much labour for our service: yea, of the same clay he maketh both the vessels that serve for clean uses, and likewise also all such as serve to the contrary: but what is the use of either sort, the potter himself is the judge.

Romans 9:21
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Conscience bearing witness

Wisdom 17:11
11 For wickedness, condemned by her own witness, is very timorous, and being pressed with conscience, always forecasteth grievous things.

Romans 2:15
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

From the book of Tobit

The golden rule

Tobit 4:15
Do that to no man which thou hatest:drink not wine to make thee drunken: neither let drunkenness go with thee in thy journey.

Matthew 7:12
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Ephesians 5:18
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Prayers of the saints

Tobit 12:15
I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels, which present the prayers of the saints, and which go in and out before the glory of the Holy One.

Revelation 8:2-3
2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets. 3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 AM

From the book of Judith

Worm that does not die

Judith 16:17
Woe to the nations that rise up against my kindred! the Lord Almighty will take vengeance of them in the day of judgment, in putting fire and worms in their flesh; and they shall feel them, and weep for ever.

Mark 9:48
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

From the book of 1 Maccabees

Abomination of desolation

1 Maccabees 1:54
Now the fifteenth day of the month Casleu, in the hundred forty and fifth year, they set up the abomination of desolation upon the altar, and builded idol altars throughout the cities of Juda on every side;
Matthew 24:15
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand

Imputed unto him for righteousness

1 Maccabees 2:52
Was not Abraham found faithful in temptation, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness?
Hebrews 11:17
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
James 2:23
23 And the scripturewas fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

1 Maccabees 3:60
Nevertheless, as the will of God is in heaven, so let him do.
Matthew 6:10
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

From the book of 2 Maccabees

2 Maccabees 3:25
For there appeared unto them an horse with a terrible rider upon him, and adorned with a very fair covering, and he ran fiercely, and smote at Heliodorus with his forefeet, and it seemed that he that sat upon the horse had complete harness of gold.
Revelation 19:11
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

2 Maccabees 11:8
And as they were at Jerusalem, there appeared before them on horseback one in white clothing, shaking his armour of gold.
Revelation 19:11
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

There are probably many more, these are just some examples that I found. On a personal note I really liked the books of Wisdom and Sirach

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,374 times
...a lot of research here.

One thing to mention also is that the Greek Septuagint (rather than the Hebrew) was often the preferred text used by the NT writers when quoting the OT scriptures. And, it would seem rather odd to use the Septuagint as such, if in fact it included other writings that had not been received as OT scripture or canon.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Have you read the lost books of the Bible or the Forgotten books of eden?

The book of Enoch is incredible and a shame that it was taken out of most book of books (bibles).

Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
...a lot of research here.

One thing to mention also is that the Greek Septuagint (rather than the Hebrew) was often the preferred text used by the NT writers when quoting the OT scriptures. And, it would seem rather odd to use the Septuagint as such, if in fact it included other writings that had not been received as OT scripture or canon.
Good points Storm

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Have you read the lost books of the Bible or the Forgotten books of eden?

I have read some of them, I have the2 volume works of the Pseudepigrapha but have not finished reading them yet.

Quote:
The book of Enoch is incredible and a shame that it was taken out of most book of books (bibles).

It makes one wonder how this book was not included in the OT as Jude makes a direct quote from it, which some say means nothing, but it was not just any quote it was a quote concerning prophesy. It is obvious to me that Jude considered it scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity