Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

The video above is a talk given by a man who wanted to figure out how to help drug addicts.

He says it's not the physical "hooks"/properties of drugs that cause a person to be addicted, but rather the lack of a felt connection to others and to society as a whole. As he points out, the US has been going about trying to confront the addiction problem by threatening to cut those who are addicted off from society -- shaming them, punishing them. Some people call this "tough love", but it has been a colossal failure.

He proposes a different way, based on the great success he saw in another country which approaches addiction in a very different way. He assures those in his life that are addicted that he will love them no matter what, that he will come sit with them if they want him to, and that we won't cut them out of his life.

This is sort of a snapshot of the different beliefs I see in this forum about God. On the one hand, there are those who say that God HAS to cut sinners off from God, and threaten them with eternal torment or destruction. They seem to think that this is "tough love" in action, but it's a failure.

I believe God's way is infinitely higher that this. God's way is to say, "I love you, and I will never leave or forsake you for any reason, no matter what you do. Period. I'm not holding anything against you. Turn to Me and be healed. I AM RIGHT HERE WITH YOU."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
What "holiness" REALLY means

Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
YES! Thank you, nate.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:45 PM

678 posts, read 438,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The video above is a talk given by a man who wanted to figure out how to help drug addicts.
He says it's not the physical "hooks"/properties of drugs that cause a person to be addicted, but
rather the lack of a felt connection to others and to society as a whole.
As he points out, the US confronts the addiction problem by threatening to cut those addicted,
off from society -- shaming them, punishing them. Some people call this "tough love", but it has been a colossal failure.
Know how shamefully traditional-religion, & medicine, & mental fruitcakes FAIL people all too often. How I know that?
I worked in mental-health, & medicine for many years. -> An Individual deserves to be helped, such is the calling...

Quote:
He proposes a different way, based on success. - He assures those in his life that are addicted,
he will love them no matter what, that he will come sit with them if they want him to, and
that we won't cut them out of his life.
re "come sit with them" (addicts, or whatever) alone, doesn't get such people OUT of their hell.

Sure sincere love must preface all else we do, this is a given. Additionally the healer needs to use Emotional resources... to help addicts STOP failing strategies; in favor of positive success... they want instead.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Well worth a listen. Thank you.

The opposite of addiction is connection. Connection. It is a powerful word and a powerful tool.

When parents cut off their children because they are LGBTQ, or move away from their faith the answer is connection, not shunning or conversion therapy. We should be connecting with refugees and other faiths instead of being afraid of a mother bringing her children to safety.

Most people who claim to know God have it all wrong.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:22 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Quote:
YES! Thank you, nate.
Amen!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times
Quote:

He says it's not the physical "hooks"/properties of drugs that cause a person to be addicted, but rather the lack of a felt connection to others and to society as a whole. As he points out, the US has been going about trying to confront the addiction problem by threatening to cut those who are addicted off from society -- shaming them, punishing them. Some people call this "tough love", but it has been a colossal failure.

He proposes a different way, based on the great success he saw in another country which approaches addiction in a very different way. He assures those in his life that are addicted that he will love them no matter what, that he will come sit with them if they want him to, and that we won't cut them out of his life.

This is sort of a snapshot of the different beliefs I see in this forum about God. On the one hand, there are those who say that God HAS to cut sinners off from God, and threaten them with eternal torment or destruction. They seem to think that this is "tough love" in action, but it's a failure.

I believe God's way is infinitely higher that this. God's way is to say, "I love you, and I will never leave or forsake you for any reason, no matter what you do. Period. I'm not holding anything against you. Turn to Me and be healed. I AM RIGHT HERE WITH YOU."
an addiction is what's called a craving. You crave things because they are forbidden. Totally forbidden. Infinitely forbidden. Nothing should be infinitely forbidden. There is a time and place for everything. Destroy the dam and you will destroy the craving

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Quote:

Well most here believe what Jesus said. He didn't sugar coat it as you do, trying to make it easy when He said it is hard.

Those who do not do what is right go off to eternal condemnation. Those who are righteous and do good to the resurrection of life and the kingdom of heaven.

"The righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father."

"All those who do good to the resurrection of life. The evildoers to the resurrection of condemnation."

"Enter by the narrow gate for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction and many choose it but the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life and few their are who find it."

I am the gate. Anyone who enters by me will be saved.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
Quote:

no one approach reaches everyone..
all approaches are needed and true IF God has you stand there and hold that ground. then you might be the only one representing repentance NOW , and others representing Love NOW . it is the balance between two points that drives us to the feet of the cross. there is where there is real healing. Not Love and Not just feeling sorry .. but repentance at his feet. so you and they are all wrong too.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
And the point being made is that love supports decisions to turn from self-destructive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity