Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Great post Katie!

You are right! God did need to reveal His will to us that way.

It is interesting...because just as the Apple in the perfect garden was the one forbidden fruit that would lead to death...in an equal and opposite way the Bible in this imperfect world is the one required fruit we must eat in order to have LIFE!!

They are like inverses of each other!
I love that analogy! Thank you.

Blessings my friend,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God never changes and His message to us as delivered by Jesus never changes and what He wants from us never changes and Christ as God's Word never changes . . . but to assign those Godly attributes to the words "written in ink" over 2000 - 4000 + years ago by our ignorant ancestors is to make the written words God . . . NOT Christ. That is idolatry. I understand that the reason this belief is so strongly held is because of a fear that to NOT believe it would remove the status and authority of God from the beliefs based on the inspirations they contain from God. While this has been the view for 2000+ years . . . increasingly in today's world such claims have the opposite effect.
Katie,
I have nothing but respect for your love of God and zealous defense of what you believe and why. Do not take my disagreements negatively. They are the result of decades of scholarship and study trying to make sense of the inspirations from God. I do not see the savage descriptions and atrocities in the scriptures as designed to prevent us from making the same horrible mistakes. I do not understand how you can believe that . . . given that most of the worst atrocities were attributed to God's commands. How can you NOT see that the interpretations and claims in the recordings were the result of the superstitious savagery and ignorance of our ancestors' beliefs about God . . . and NOT commands from God? Beliefs about the Bible have NO EFFECT on true belief in God (which comes from God the Father and is NOT a choice). . . but improperly interpreted and applied literal beliefs about the Bible can have and have had enormously destructive effects on society and how people are treated. Contrary to your belief that it helps . . . literal reading and belief in the Bible has in fact been the biggest tragedy and source of evil consequences in society for millennia. It is a miracle and testament to the existence of God that belief in God has survived such benighted beliefs for this long.
Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

If it weren't for the Bible, you would know nothing about Jesus.

Sorry Mystic, we just don't see things the same way, but I love you anyway.

I pray for you always,

Katie

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Katie Jesus is alive and in us that is how we know and learn and the bible is not nor ever been kept spotless from the errors of men, the lying pen of the scribes added to the laws of moses and attributed those additions to Moses. Not all bible contain the same books so which one is the correct one that is undefiled by man?
Sorry my friend, but I disagree with you completely. Jesus doesn't speak to you or anyone else personally today. It's a lovely thought, but it doesn't happen.

God speaks to us through His word. If you reject His word, then you reject Him. It's that simple.

I pray for you always. Pray for me as well.

Katie

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Father draws us to Christ, Christ reveals the Father and the Holy Spirit leds us into all truth.

NOT the BIBLE.

Tell me how anyone ever got to know God before there was ever a bible in print. Adam did not have one, Noah did not have one, Enoch did not have one etc.

And as to the bible not being added to by men I can give you some details where it most assuredly has been if you are interested is some truth you do not want to hear.
Pneuma, how do you know the Holy Spirit guides us to all truth? BECAUSE THE BIBLE TELLS YOU SO!

The men of the OT had the word of God directly. We do not. We have God's word recorded for us, written by men who were inspired by God.

You have two choices. Believe it or don't. Just remember, you reject His word, you reject Him. Jesus is the word!

I choose to believe it, every last word of it. It's called faith Pneuma. And the more you read the Bible, the more faith you get.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
The Holy Spirit does not speak to us personally. He is the author of the Bible. When we read the Bible, the Holy Spirit is speaking to us through His words. But He does not speak to us outside of that. It would be lovely if He did, but that is not what the scriptures teach.
The Holy Spirit does work through our conscience. He does convict us of our sins. But there is no scriptural support for the Holy Spirit speaking to people personally today.
God Bless,
Katie
This is false teaching. We are not to rely on the words "written in ink" but on those "written in our heart."

1 Corinthians 2:13-16 (King James Version)

13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded:(blind minds= ignorance) for until this day remaineth the same vail (ignorance) untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (Heart) shall turn to the Lord( Christ), the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit (Holy Spirit) and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-22-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
This is false teaching. We are not to rely on the words "written in ink" but on those "written in our heart."

1 Corinthians 2:13-16 (King James Version)

13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded:(blind minds= ignorance) for until this day remaineth the same vail (ignorance) untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (Heart) shall turn to the Lord( Christ), the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that SpiritHoly Spirit) and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Is the Holy Spirit dumb in the eyes of the biblean ?.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
EEk gad, the great God Father gave us a living Christ to dwell within us to guide us by the Holy Spirit into ALL truth, NOT a bible that is full of the imperfections of men and been added to by the lying pen of the scribes.

What do we need a book for if Christ is ALIVE within us?
Yes He gave us the Holy Spirit to indwell in us and He have us His Written Word to instruct, comfort, and guide us. Unbelievable how many here rejected the very Words of God.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes He gave us the Holy Spirit to indwell in us and He have us His Written Word to instruct, comfort, and guide us. Unbelievable how many here rejected the very Words of God.
Again with the bogus reject nonsense. We reject nothing . . . we properly divide the scriptures and recognize Christ as the Living Word of God, period. We do not reject any of Christ's words. Those who profess an angry vengeful ET God are the ones rejecting Christ's unambiguous example and teachings in favor of ancient ignorance.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Again with the bogus reject nonsense. We reject nothing . . . we properly divide the scriptures and recognize Christ as the Living Word of God, period. We do not reject any of Christ's words. Those who profess an angry vengeful ET God are the ones rejecting Christ's unambiguous example and teachings in favor of ancient ignorance.
Really???????? So you believe the Bible is the Living Word of God? When did you change your mind?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Really???????? So you believe the Bible is the Living Word of God? When did you change your mind?
You read too fast, ILNC . . . I said Christ is the Living Word of God. The Bible is God-inspired (NOT dictated) and useful for instruction . . . and for telling us ABOUT Christ The Living Word of God so that we could know Him, identify Him, and validate Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity