Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religous congregations kick members out for adultery and/or other sins?
Kick members out for adultery ONLY. 1 4.00%
Kick members out for adultery AND other sins. 8 32.00%
Kick members out for other sins (excluding adultery). 2 8.00%
Don't kick members out regardless of sin. 11 44.00%
Non religious: I'm an atheist, agnostic or other, etc. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times

Advertisements

Several years ago, my aunt's husband cheated on her and had a child with another woman. They got divorced and the ex hubby, new woman and their baby are living together now. He went alone, to a service at the Christian church where he and my aunt have been members for at least 15 years. The head leaders or whatever pulled him aside after the service and told him to go elsewhere for his religious services. They told him point blank it was because he had committed adultery. It caused a bit of an uproar, because churchgoers were picking sides. After that debacle, he took his new family to services elsewhere. Anyways:

Should church leaders kick members out for adultery and/or other sins? Never get involved, regardless? ....I'm not asking if they have a RIGHT to do this, I'm asking if they SHOULD.

**Obviously this question is aimed primarily towards religious people; I figured if you're 'other' then this is a moot question -- right? If I'm wrong, there's a poll option for you & you can still answer anyways. All opinions welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Churches are homes for sinners.

I don't think any true church would kick anyone out who really wanted to be there.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
The only reason that the person should be asked to leave is when the person has ought against the spouse and there will be no reconciliation and this can disrupt the meeting in the church and even the dark spirit is given authority in the church .... Other wise if the couple still get along then there should not be any one kicked out .... Jesus Christ says about a women caught in adultery in John 8: 7 ...``He that is without sin among you , let him first cast a stone at her ``.... were today people would not throw stones , but these stones may be indifference and ought which will push Holy Spirit way from the authority He is....

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

18,707 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I remember Bill Clinton saying, "Ken Starr spent $40 million to prove I'm a sinner, and we all already *knew* that!"
(I'm not a believer) but it seems that kicking people out for sins would create a very ugly Inquisition environment, determining who committed what sin, was a reported sin actually happening, sort of like a communism "re-education" system. So whether one believes there is sin or not, absolutely no one should be kicked out of a group for being flawed.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Our church will remove members for adultery and other sins but the sin must meet a certain criteria. It must be a public sin, a sin for which they are unrepentant, and/or is an ongoing sin, like shacking up. For example, if a husband kept beating his wife and expressed no repentance, he will eventually be gone. We also don't do it immediately, but we do forbid them the sacrament immediately, and from then on give them time to reconsider their actions.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,747 times
Seems like a pretty un-Christian attitude they have at that church.

My grandparents were ministers and they taught me that church was for sinners, not "saints".

Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Seems like a pretty un-Christian attitude they have at that church.

My grandparents were ministers and they taught me that church was for sinners, not "saints".
Pretty much my point

Even when someone seems unrepentant if they are THERE then they are getting something out of the experience or they wouldn't keep coming back. Churches should never turn hurting, searching or sinful people away.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,470 times
No on so many levels.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,329 times
It is always best to go to the Word to see if God has something to say about the issue.

The entire 5th chapter of 1 Corinthians discusses this very subject. You can read it for yourself but here is the ending to the chapter:

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”b

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Our church will remove members for adultery and other sins but the sin must meet a certain criteria. It must be a public sin, a sin for which they are unrepentant, and/or is an ongoing sin, like shacking up. For example, if a husband kept beating his wife and expressed no repentance, he will eventually be gone. We also don't do it immediately, but we do forbid them the sacrament immediately, and from then on give them time to reconsider their actions.
This ^^^^^^^^^

See 1 Cor. 5, Matt. 18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity