Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Not that it matters, but now I'm confused too. What is the Christian forum for really? My understanding is it is specifically for Christian topics obviously, but with the understanding that we don't want to debate the validity of Christianity or God. This is the corner for those who believe in God and Jesus.

However, are we allowed to debate with each other regarding opposing beliefs within Christianity? That is still debate, but it isn't defending Christianity as a whole, as (I'm assuming) both sides will hold the common ground that God exists and Christ and Christianity are real.

If we are not allowed to debate Christian issues/beliefs/dogmas/doctrines/theologies within the Christian forum, then what exactly is the purpose of this forum? Simply to fellowship, to constantly agree with each other...??? I think light-hearted threads are needed and welcome, but what if we specifically want to raise a topic to be addressed by other Christians only, and the nature of the question will lead to debate? I'm not asking with any agenda, honestly, I just want to know what is allowed and welcomed (and no, I'm not talking about YOUKNOWWHAT specifically).
I agree with this. I enjoy discussing different doctrines. I think it keeps us on our toes and helps give us a better understanding of others and ourselves.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
and no, I'm not talking about YOUKNOWWHAT specifically).
Well, this is a "Christian" subforum jeff, so "YOUKNOWWHAT" definitely should be in the main forum, LOL! You're right, we can't and won't always agree even between professing Christians, but maybe we should stop worrying about it? As dojilynn suggested, discussing different doctrines keeps us on our toes and makes us examine what we really believe ourselves.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Maybe if we would just quit arguing and worrying about what should go on in this forum, just try to do our best to keep it peaceful, and leave it to the mods if anything is out of place, we could be discussing more useful and edifying things.
We have a winner here!!!!! I agree!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
Okay.

Mods, please lock this thread now. I've apparently stirred up enough grief for the day.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Well, this is a "Christian" subforum jeff, so "YOUKNOWWHAT" definitely should be in the main forum, LOL!
I hope your kidding...???

Quote:
You're right, we can't and won't always agree even between professing Christians, but maybe we should stop worrying about it? As dojilynn suggested, discussing different doctrines keeps us on our toes and makes us examine what we really believe ourselves.
I only worry about it because I don't want to get in trouble if I post a thread with the intention of debating a Christian topic. I understand not wanting to debate Christianity as a whole and having a subforum where a common understanding (Jesus) is held. I just want to clarify that we can still debate as long as it about a Christian topic. So...

Religion and Philosophy: All religions and philosophies, including threads debating the validity of Christianity, the existance of God, ect...

Christianity: A subforum where ideas and debates specific to the Christian faith can be discussed, with the understanding that debating the validity of Christianity falls under philosophy, and should be kept to the main forum.

Yes? No?

Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
I hope your kidding...???

I only worry about it because I don't want to get in trouble if I post a thread with the intention of debating a Christian topic. I understand not wanting to debate Christianity as a whole and having a subforum where a common understanding (Jesus) is held. I just want to clarify that we can still debate as long as it about a Christian topic. So...

Religion and Philosophy: All religions and philosophies, including threads debating the validity of Christianity, the existance of God, ect...

Christianity: A subforum where ideas and debates specific to the Christian faith can be discussed, with the understanding that debating the validity of Christianity falls under philosophy, and should be kept to the main forum.

Yes? No?
(I was just kidding) I can see where you're coming from... I guess I would be open to Christian debates about controversial issues, here in this forum. If we don't want to join, we don't have to take part. This forum would still be a "safety" (for lack of a better word) for when we just do a Bible study or fellowship... Anyone should be welcome to post here, as long as they are not debating the validity of Christianity, and if we are having a debate and someone who doesn't call themself a Christian brings up a Biblical point (Hasn't happened very often, but has occasionally) we shouldn't just get all uptight and send them out the door.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:35 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
Ohhhh, I for one would run and find a quiet corner to hide in until the lightning calmed down. Kaykay, quick, better go find kwag and forceably take ALL her chairs away for a while.

Everyone, try this....Put Jesus in your mind, and think peace and lets just see where this takes us.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Thanks CG and Aiangel...Good advice!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,029 times
Quote:
Maybe if we would just quit arguing and worrying about what should go on in this forum, just try to do our best to keep it peaceful, and leave it to the mods if anything is out of place, we could be discussing more useful and edifying things.
Thank you.

Quote:
Not that it matters, but now I'm confused too. What is the Christian forum for really? My understanding is it is specifically for Christian topics obviously, but with the understanding that we don't want to debate the validity of Christianity or God. This is the corner for those who believe in God and Jesus.
Yes, I'd say that's it.

Quote:
However, are we allowed to debate with each other regarding opposing beliefs within Christianity? That is still debate, but it isn't defending Christianity as a whole, as (I'm assuming) both sides will hold the common ground that God exists and Christ and Christianity are real.
I think this is fine.

If there are some threads that you think should be moved, please DM a Moderator or use "report the post" feature ().

Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
No one is going to get an infraction for posting the wrong thread in either forum. It doesn't work that way. Just go about your business posting as usual and if something needs to be moved I iwill move it and let you know. There will be a redirect in place so those of you who haven't saved it as a favorite can still find it. I can always be DM'd about any question in this forum.

I would appreciate it if there are NO more threads created about this topic. If there are more questions DM is the appropriate way to communicate. Check the date on the sticky thread as I may add more information to help everyone out.

And again, a great big thank you to the Administrator for making this subforum a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity