Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM

130 posts, read 153,062 times

Advertisements

Most people take repentence meaning to tell God you're sorry for certain actions. Well, let's take a deeper look in what it means to truly repent. In the OT, the word repent was represented by two hebrew verbs, shuv and nacham. The first verb shuv means "to return", and in the sense of spirtual standing means to return to God. (Shuv's first use was in Genesis 3: 19, where it talks about Adam returning to dust. Yet I said in terms of spiritual/moral standing, it means to return to God) The second verb, nacham, means to be sorry, to console oneself and to show regret.

Not all the time are these verbs used in terms of turning away from certain actions (example being Adam returning, shuv, to dust and nacham also meaning to comfort oneself), but ultimately in the moral standing sense, these words were used to show a turning back to God and His ways. Yet as we know, there was a problem, an inherit problem for the people of Israel because no matter what they did, they could not keep God's ways, His Law. That brings us to what it truly means to repent........

The word used for repent in the NT, is the greek word "Metanoia", which means to change one's mind. You see back in the days of Law, it was about the people changing their ways to fit God's ways. It was about keeping the Ten Commandments and if we kept them, we would be blessed. The people found out, no one could keep God's laws because of our condition, the sinful nature present within our bodies and being. So God sent His Son, not only for the forgiveness of sins, but also for our empowerment to obey Him. So when a person truly repents, it means to acknowledge within their mind they are sinful, then receive Jesus into their heart for both forgiveness of sin and the empowerment to obey God.

As Jesus says in Mark 1 verse 15...

and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand, Repent, and believe in the gospel."

Notice Jesus said "repent" and "believe" in the gospel. He's ultimately saying to the unbeliever to change their mind (acknowledge they have sinned in God's sight in their mind) and believe in the good news salvation. (Receiving Jesus for the forgiveness of sin, and the empowerment of being righteous in Him) This also means once you are a believer, you "repent" only once. Many Christians believe that you should keep repenting, ultimately meaning you keep telling God you're sorry over and over again until Jesus comes back. Yet that is what the people of Israel were doing over and over again in the OT. If we are repenting, nacham (to feel sorry for our actions), over and over again, this shows our mindset is still trying to keep God's Law. By our own power, we are trying to basically keep the Ten Commandments. Here's an example.......

God said not to commit adultery, and Jesus tells us if we lust after someone in our heart (yeild to sexual thoughts of women or men, in this sense particularly married men or women hence adultery. Or else it's fornication, which is also bad), we commit adudltery with them in our hearts. So we as Christians by our own effort try not to lust after men or women. Then all of a sudden (I'm coming from my male sense here) we see a fine woman walking by. Now I'm basically staring at this woman, pretty much undressing her with my eyes. Then it hits me I violated God's Law in a major way, and realizing the consequences of breaking God's Law, I immediately tell God how sorry I am and beg for His forgiveness. In fact, I even begin to say I don't deserve God's forgiveness, and begin to go away from Him for a time, punishing myself.....

This is how the people of Israel responded since the Law came, and religious Israelites (or those who still try to keep God's Law today) still respond this way today. This is what the Law does, it condemns us because we can't keep it. The Law is the strength of sin, and in it's light, we are increasingly sinful. (Not because the Law is evil, it's because we are, and the Law condemns evil) God gave us Jesus, who is grace personified. Jesus does what the Law cannot. The Law says don't do this, you break it, and the Law issues judgment. Jesus says do what is righteous, you can't in yourself do it, He then empowers us to do and behave righteously.

So Christians, you only repent once. You acknowledge your sin once, then you trust in Jesus for both forgiveness of sin, and empowerment to behave righteously. In Jesus, you are righteous in God's sight. If you sin, that sin is automatically covered by Jesus' blood. So if you should sin, your mind is no longer focused on the sin or it's punishment, but is now focused in on Jesus righteousness and empowerment. You are constantly being transformed to His likeness, going from glory to glory, as the Bible says. This is what the new covenant is all about.

To put it altogether in review, the unbeliever change his mind once, which means he acknowledge he is sinful compared to God's standard. Then he receives Jesus, and begins thinking on Jesus' righteousness, that he is now righteous in Jesus. (All, "ALL" of his sin is forgiven in Jesus, and his mind is focused in on Jesus. Even if he stumbles, he is still righteous in Jesus, and that sin is immediately covered by the blood of Christ. Ultimately keeping his mind on the righteousness that was given by grace alone, and always continue to draw closer to his Father)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
That would negate everything Jesus said to do.

What about "As the Father sent me that is how I send you." Or "If you continue in my teaching you are truly my disciple, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."And again "The man who has faith in me will do the works I do."Another "My spirit which is upon you and my words which I have put into your mouth shall never leave your mouth nor the mouth of your children nor the mouth of your children's children from now on and forever.

"Go and make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father ,the Son and the Holy Spirit and teach them to carry out everything I commanded you.

"If you abide in me and my words remain part of you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you."

"All those who do right will rise to live."

"Anyone who refuses to honor the Son refuses to honor the Father who sent Him."

Is it honoring Jesus to disobey Him?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In a Christians conversion , he would repent and turn away from sin and show the Lord you are trying to love and trying to turn away from sin , but might need Jesus to be completely free of sin........ So after they convert to Christianity, they will still need to repent from sin as the sin come back and dark spirit come in and put sin in Christians face , and Christians can fall from grace or fall in a demonic curses and will need to repent to the Lord ......, recognize the error and turn away and take up the authority of the blood of Jesus and bind the demons and loose spiritual wickedness in the high place and caste them down to the pit in Jesus name , which will brake any curses , that dark spirit will try to put of Christians .........See when Christians convert they are proving to the Lord that they are a willing mate to the Lord and will love the Lord and repent again , and again to keep sin out , and the Lord will cleans the Christians time and time again..... As the world is filled with sin and Heaven where our home is , does not have any sin....

Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I remember a story about a children's Sunday School class in which the teacher asked for a definition of 'repentance.' Johnny replied, "It's being sorry." Susie quickly chimed in, "No, it's being sorry enough to quit!" ----

Repentance without a corresponding life change is lip-service, rather than true 'Godly repentance'.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
Most people take repentence meaning to tell God you're sorry for certain actions. Well, let's take a deeper look in what it means to truly repent. In the OT, the word repent was represented by two hebrew verbs, shuv and nacham. The first verb shuv means "to return", and in the sense of spirtual standing means to return to God. (Shuv's first use was in Genesis 3: 19, where it talks about Adam returning to dust. Yet I said in terms of spiritual/moral standing, it means to return to God) The second verb, nacham, means to be sorry, to console oneself and to show regret.

Not all the time are these verbs used in terms of turning away from certain actions (example being Adam returning, shuv, to dust and nacham also meaning to comfort oneself), but ultimately in the moral standing sense, these words were used to show a turning back to God and His ways. Yet as we know, there was a problem, an inherit problem for the people of Israel because no matter what they did, they could not keep God's ways, His Law. That brings us to what it truly means to repent........

The word used for repent in the NT, is the greek word "Metanoia", which means to change one's mind. You see back in the days of Law, it was about the people changing their ways to fit God's ways. It was about keeping the Ten Commandments and if we kept them, we would be blessed. The people found out, no one could keep God's laws because of our condition, the sinful nature present within our bodies and being. So God sent His Son, not only for the forgiveness of sins, but also for our empowerment to obey Him. So when a person truly repents, it means to acknowledge within their mind they are sinful, then receive Jesus into their heart for both forgiveness of sin and the empowerment to obey God.

As Jesus says in Mark 1 verse 15...

and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand, Repent, and believe in the gospel."

Notice Jesus said "repent" and "believe" in the gospel. He's ultimately saying to the unbeliever to change their mind (acknowledge they have sinned in God's sight in their mind) and believe in the good news salvation. (Receiving Jesus for the forgiveness of sin, and the empowerment of being righteous in Him) This also means once you are a believer, you "repent" only once. Many Christians believe that you should keep repenting, ultimately meaning you keep telling God you're sorry over and over again until Jesus comes back. Yet that is what the people of Israel were doing over and over again in the OT. If we are repenting, nacham (to feel sorry for our actions), over and over again, this shows our mindset is still trying to keep God's Law. By our own power, we are trying to basically keep the Ten Commandments. Here's an example.......

God said not to commit adultery, and Jesus tells us if we lust after someone in our heart (yeild to sexual thoughts of women or men, in this sense particularly married men or women hence adultery. Or else it's fornication, which is also bad), we commit adudltery with them in our hearts. So we as Christians by our own effort try not to lust after men or women. Then all of a sudden (I'm coming from my male sense here) we see a fine woman walking by. Now I'm basically staring at this woman, pretty much undressing her with my eyes. Then it hits me I violated God's Law in a major way, and realizing the consequences of breaking God's Law, I immediately tell God how sorry I am and beg for His forgiveness. In fact, I even begin to say I don't deserve God's forgiveness, and begin to go away from Him for a time, punishing myself.....

This is how the people of Israel responded since the Law came, and religious Israelites (or those who still try to keep God's Law today) still respond this way today. This is what the Law does, it condemns us because we can't keep it. The Law is the strength of sin, and in it's light, we are increasingly sinful. (Not because the Law is evil, it's because we are, and the Law condemns evil) God gave us Jesus, who is grace personified. Jesus does what the Law cannot. The Law says don't do this, you break it, and the Law issues judgment. Jesus says do what is righteous, you can't in yourself do it, He then empowers us to do and behave righteously.

So Christians, you only repent once. You acknowledge your sin once, then you trust in Jesus for both forgiveness of sin, and empowerment to behave righteously. In Jesus, you are righteous in God's sight. If you sin, that sin is automatically covered by Jesus' blood. So if you should sin, your mind is no longer focused on the sin or it's punishment, but is now focused in on Jesus righteousness and empowerment. You are constantly being transformed to His likeness, going from glory to glory, as the Bible says. This is what the new covenant is all about.

To put it altogether in review, the unbeliever change his mind once, which means he acknowledge he is sinful compared to God's standard. Then he receives Jesus, and begins thinking on Jesus' righteousness, that he is now righteous in Jesus. (All, "ALL" of his sin is forgiven in Jesus, and his mind is focused in on Jesus. Even if he stumbles, he is still righteous in Jesus, and that sin is immediately covered by the blood of Christ. Ultimately keeping his mind on the righteousness that was given by grace alone, and always continue to draw closer to his Father)
...huh...! ...so...Lantern...which is it...? ? ?

Double-mindedness...pure and simple...that is what this is that comes from you. You speak out of both sides of your mouth...this is called "lukewarm"...a little in and a little out...one foot in and one foot out...attempting to justify your living in sin...and God will vomit you and anyone who lives in this manner out of His mouth !

I don't believe that I have read a post as contradictory and untruthful as this one...this is a winner...truly...worthy of nothing more than death to a soul...and your false teaching is leading anyone who believes it to their very destruction. If you continue...your hands will be so smothered with the blood of so many souls...you will not stand a chance of entering God's Kngdom...or it entering you !

On the one hand, you state the truth...true repentance is only ONCE!..and go and sin no more... but on the other hand, you state that if you do sin again...Jesus' blood covered it...I call this what the cows poop.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...huh...! ...so...Lantern...which is it...? ? ?

Double-mindedness...pure and simple...that is what this is that comes from you. You speak out of both sides of your mouth...this is called "lukewarm"...a little in and a little out...one foot in and one foot out...attempting to justify your living in sin...and God will vomit you and anyone who lives in this manner out of His mouth !

I don't believe that I have read a post as contradictory and untruthful as this one...this is a winner...truly...worthy of nothing more than death to a soul...and your false teaching is leading anyone who believes it to their very destruction. If you continue...your hands will be so smothered with the blood of so many souls...you will not stand a chance of entering God's Kngdom...or it entering you !

On the one hand, you state the truth...true repentance is only ONCE!..and go and sin no more... but on the other hand, you state that if you do sin again...Jesus' blood covered it...I call this what the cows poop.
Hmmm... Let's see what Scripture says about this.

1 John 2

1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quit believing God is against us makes repentance that much easier.

All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
Wow! I couldn't disagree more. It would be nice if repentance were really just a one-time thing, but I certainly don't believe it is. Repentance is acklowledging that we've done wrong, feeling remorse for our misdeeds, and committing to do better in the future. Ideally, once we'd made that commitment, we wouldn't ever fall short again. Consequently, we would never have to repent again. But we're not talking about an ideal; we're talking about reality. People -- even those whose repentence is sincere -- do not magically become immune to temptation once they have "trusted Jesus." Satan is going to continue to work on them, and they are going to continue to mess up from time to time. Jesus Christ's Atonement gives us the gift of getting up each and every day with a renewed resolve to live the way we know he wants us to, and knowing that if we do, we will be forgiven, and His sacrifice will count as our punishment. Jesus didn't die for us so that we can feel repent once, and believe once, and not be held accountable for anything we did after that initial moment of conversion.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Hmmm... Let's see what Scripture says about this.

1 John 2

1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
Jesus and the son of man say;JN 12:35 "Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you."

Doesn't that trump the verse in 1 John. Be careful about what you believe, it could be the death of you.

JN 12:36 "While you have the light keep faith in the light and you will become a child of light".

Isaiah 60:19 "The Lord will be your light forever, your God shall be your glory."

Isaiah 2:5 "O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord!"

Psalm 56:13
For you have delivered my soul from death, and my feet from falling, so that I may walk before God in the light of life.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM

130 posts, read 153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow! I couldn't disagree more. It would be nice if repentance were really just a one-time thing, but I certainly don't believe it is. Repentance is acklowledging that we've done wrong, feeling remorse for our misdeeds, and committing to do better in the future. Ideally, once we'd made that commitment, we wouldn't ever fall short again. Consequently, we would never have to repent again. But we're not talking about an ideal; we're talking about reality. People -- even those whose repentence is sincere -- do not magically become immune to temptation once they have "trusted Jesus." Satan is going to continue to work on them, and they are going to continue to mess up from time to time. Jesus Christ's Atonement gives us the gift of getting up each and every day with a renewed resolve to live the way we know he wants us to, and knowing that if we do, we will be forgiven, and His sacrifice will count as our punishment. Jesus didn't die for us so that we can feel repent once, and believe once, and not be held accountable for anything we did after that initial moment of conversion.

Haven't you read the op, what repentance means? It means to change the mind. How many times do you have to change your mind about what sin is? That is a one time thing.

What you have to do as a born again believer, is renew your mind to Christ. Focus on His righteousness. As you behold Him, you will be transform from glory to glory. The reason why Christians keep messing up, is because they trust in their own ability to obey God. Instead of trusting in the power Jesus has provided for us. Like I said, Jesus was not only sent for the forgiveness of our sins, but also for the empowerment to obey God. Jesus is able to keep us from sinning. Even "if" we should stumble, we stumble in Christ. (We are still righteous in Him, and His blood immediately cleanses us)

So you repent, acknowledge you are a sinner, and then receive Jesus into the heart. From that point, it's all about trusting in Him, and He empowers us to obey and live righteously. The true power in changing is focusing on Jesus, letting Him live in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity