Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times

Advertisements

James points out to us that even demons believe that there is one God. Many point to Paul's words about belief without works as the justification of our salvation. Jesus told that people that "to believe in the Son of God" was to do the works of God.

But is that what He was really saying? Why does He also point out that there would be those who call Him "Lord" (therefore with faith) and yet not doing what He commands? Will He receive them simply because they call Him "Lord?" I answer, NO.

Do we believe in what the Bible says? Good. Do we do what Jesus commands us to do? Really?
Do we turn the other cheek? Do we truly love our enemies? Do we show mercy? Do we relieve the oppressed? Do we forgive without end, or do we hold resentments? Do we pray for the good of those who wrong us, or do we curse them under our breath?

The prophet Isaiah's writings are just as valid today, if not more so, than when they were written. To do righteously is what God requires. Believing in God and Jesus Christ will do you no good if you are not manifesting the fruits of the Spirit: mercy, joy, love, forgiveness, kindness, goodness, holiness..

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink: Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!" Isa. 20.23

"Sodom and Gomorrah" is not what you have been taught! Listen!
"Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah. To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers."

Sodom and Gomorrah were filled with religious hypocrites! Their songs and tent meetings and worship services were not appreciated. Why? Because they refused to do the first works: mercy, kindness, compassion, love.

May the King of Righteousness arise in us!
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Isaiah 1 is not talking about Sodom, but about Judah. It becomes clear if you read verses 1-9, and not just verse 10.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
James points out to us that even demons believe that there is one God. Many point to Paul's words about belief without works as the justification of our salvation. Jesus told that people that "to believe in the Son of God" was to do the works of God.

But is that what He was really saying? Why does He also point out that there would be those who call Him "Lord" (therefore with faith) and yet not doing what He commands? Will He receive them simply because they call Him "Lord?" I answer, NO.

Do we believe in what the Bible says? Good. Do we do what Jesus commands us to do? Really?
Do we turn the other cheek? Do we truly love our enemies? Do we show mercy? Do we relieve the oppressed? Do we forgive without end, or do we hold resentments? Do we pray for the good of those who wrong us, or do we curse them under our breath?

The prophet Isaiah's writings are just as valid today, if not more so, than when they were written. To do righteously is what God requires. Believing in God and Jesus Christ will do you no good if you are not manifesting the fruits of the Spirit: mercy, joy, love, forgiveness, kindness, goodness, holiness..

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink: Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!" Isa. 20.23

"Sodom and Gomorrah" is not what you have been taught! Listen!
"Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah. To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers."

Sodom and Gomorrah were filled with religious hypocrites! Their songs and tent meetings and worship services were not appreciated. Why? Because they refused to do the first works: mercy, kindness, compassion, love.

May the King of Righteousness arise in us!
Brian
Excellent! A universalist that gets it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Excellent! A universalist that gets it.
You also think Isaiah was actually talking about Sodom and Gomorrah That makes two of you.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-17-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
"Love your neighbor as yourself" has serious and profound implications for the believer, and for what we can understand about "Judgment Day." If we (mankind) have been freely forgiven, ought we not also freely forgive others?

Blessings!
brian

Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Matt 25

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ 44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Verse 41 & 46 of Matt 25 are favorites among the hellfire pushers. Yet it is rarely pointed out what caused those goats to go into "eternal punishment": it was a lack of doing something. They didn't feed the hungry, cloth the needy, or take care of the sick. In short they didn't LOVE. That is why one goes into the "eternal fire".

Profound.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM

They were not let in, because they were not saved. Period. If they had been saved, they would have shown the fruits of the spirit, which are the natural result of salvation. You were wrong about Sodom in Isaish, you are wrong about automatic salvation, and you are wrong about earning salvation through works.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You also think Isaiah was actually talking about Sodom and Gomorrah That makes two of you.
Actually Finn_Jarber, I was replying to the overall message that Faith without cannot save us. James called that Dead Faith. You would agree that Dead Faith cannot save us wouldn't you?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They were not let in, because they were not saved. Period. If they had been saved, they would have shown the fruits of the spirit, which are the natural result of salvation. You were wrong about Sodom in Isaish, you are wrong about automatic salvation, and you are wrong about earning salvation through works.
Finn_Jarber, are you suggesting that the author of our salvation is ourselves that Christ is only the finisher? If Christ is the author then surely even the Faith we begin with must provided by Christ otherwise, there is no claim to authorship.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Matt 25

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ 44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Verse 41 & 46 of Matt 25 are favorites among the hellfire pushers. Yet it is rarely pointed out what caused those goats to go into "eternal punishment": it was a lack of doing something. They didn't feed the hungry, cloth the needy, or take care of the sick. In short they didn't LOVE. That is why one goes into the "eternal fire".

Profound.
Help me out here (also w/regard to prior comment about a "Universalist who gets it") --- Unless I am reading something into this post, you both seem to recognize that some will enter into eternal life and others into eternal punishment(?).

Additionaly, while the Op may be mistaken regarding Sodom & Gommorah vs Judah(?), the text still seems relatively clear ... yet, I believe the OP has previously identified himself in the UR camp(?).

Also, in other threads, you seem to strongly support a 'universal salvation' position. What am I missing? Isn't the central tenant of 'universalism' the belief that EVERYONE will ultimately be saved? (I't seems that this, among so many threads, has already been sidetracked to a UR agenda, so, I don't think that I am changing topics here). --- Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity