Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times

Advertisements

• Who/what is the inventor of what you call "communion"? JESUS (ALTHOUGH PAUL MADE UP SOME RULES FOR IT)
  • What are its necessary elements? BREAD AND WINE AND REPENTANCE
  • How often must it be done? EVERY WORSHIP SERVICE
  • If you don't do it, does that mean you nave no communication with G-d? NO Is it a sin not to do it? NO
  • Do you believe it to be salvific? I GUESS SO, LIKE BAPTISM, IT IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT TO ENTER IN
  • What, if anything, does it have to do with Passover in your tradition? NOTHING. WE DON'T CELEBRATE PASSOVER

All my questions are asked because I don't know, not to start a mini-holy-war. I don't do communion, so I have no idea what is commonly believed. YOU DON'T DO COMMUNION??? WHAT CHRISTIAN CHURCH DOES NOT DO COMMUNION?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
These answers are very interesting! Thank you, all of you.

I never would have imagined water being used. This makes me wonder: do each if your churches use wine only? Grape juice only? Give the partaker a choice of water, wine, or grape juice? Are the partakers' possible problems with alcohol considered when deciding?

WE USE WINE, USUALLY IN INDIVIDUAL CUPS, WITH SOME CUPS OF JUICE FOR THE CHILDREN OR FOR ADULTS WHO DON'T WANT WINE FOR WHATEVER REASON.

I am the pastor's assistant for a church I don't attend. They never serve anything other than grape juice for communion, but sometimes the juice is served in tiny plastic cups, sometimes from a singular cup.

YES, WE HAVE SOMETIMES USED A COMMON CUP, BUT IT IS FOR SPECIAL SERVICES ONLY. IT IS NOT CONSIDERED SANITARY. ONE OF MY EARLY PASTORS DREADED COMMON CUP, SINCE SHE WAS PRONE TO CATCHING COLDS AND SUCH.

Sometimes, they serve the regular "hosts"; sometimes tiny pillow-like, smooth, square, pale bits of something (?); sometimes broken pocket bread; sometimes broken challah (Jewish Sabbath bread with leavening).

YES, IT VARIES WHAT IS USED. THE "SOMETHING" IS SOME KIND OF FLOUR BASED PRODUCT OF SOME KIND. THE CHURCH I'M AT NOW USES WAFERS, BUT I PREFER LOAVES.

These things are stored in a small room off my office, so it's interesting, on Monday mornings, to see what they had done the previous Sunday. It is also obvious that they don't do communion every Sunday -- maybe about every 4th Sunday on average through the years.

THAT IS SAD! WE DO COMMUNION AT EVERY SERVICE.

Because of my work, there have been occasions when I have had to attend a service. A couple times, I was there when they did communion. Everyone in the church knows that I am a believer, so at first, it was a bit uncomfortable for some (apparently!) when I declined communion. Are all the believers in your congregation basically expected to do communion, or do some not do it each time the church offers it? Is it a big deal (or really noticeable) not to do it when it is offered?

IT WOULD SEEM STRANGE AT MY CHURCH FOR A BELIEVER NOT TO TAKE COMMUNION BECAUSE THEY ARE WELCOME TO DO SO AND WE WOULD THINK A BELIEVER WOULD WANT TO. BUT IF SOMEONE DOESN'T, IT'S NOT BIG DEAL. NO COMMENT IS MADE OR ANYTHING. [/quote]

Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
...Incidentally, my church uses sherry. Because sherry is a fortified wine, it can be "reserved" without turning to vinegar. Many churches don't reserve the wine so it's not an issue.
Forgive me, please, but what is meant by fortified wine and "reserved"? Sorry, I despise all alcohol, because to me, it tastes nasty, so I know nothing about it. If I assume that "reserved" intends kept over for a time after it has been opened? Is fortified wine a wine that can take being kept indefinitely after it is open? Sorry!

And SmalltownKSgirl, we have a different observance once a year.

When I mentioned that some in the church where I worked seemed "a bit uncomfortable...when I declined communion," I don't think it was my imagination. It seemed that they felt like i was rejecting them which, of course, was not at all my intention. I felt bad and did explain to some.

Thank you again to all who have anything to say here. I am learning!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
  • Who/what is the inventor of what you call "communion"? Jesus
  • What are its necessary elements? Bread and Wine or Juice..atleast that what our church uses...and it must be taken with a clean heart, since the scriptures say to exam your heart before partaking in it.
  • How often must it be done? No set time, but our church does it every week
  • If you don't do it, does that mean you nave no communication with G-d? Is it a sin not to do it? I would think if you are saved, you would want to do it even if it is every once in a while.
  • Do you believe it to be salvific? I dont think communion can provide salvation since were doing it in remembrance of him
  • What, if anything, does it have to do with Passover in your tradition? I havent really celebrated passover yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Catholics do not "reserve" the precious blood. What is left over after the communion service is consumed by the eucharistic ministers or the Deacon or the Priest. We do "reserve" the body of Christ that is left over. It is kept in the tabernacle and used at the next service.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times
I have come to believe the scriptures are SPIRITUAL. While there's certainly comfort and much to be said about sharing some sort of bread and wine, representing a meal, I don't believe there's any magical transference of Christ's actual body, etc. Sorry, I just don't.

I believe the true meaning of eating Christs body and drinking his blood are in feasting on the words of scripture, all of them, not just the new because there is so much to be learned from the Old Testament and this does one a whole lot more good than drinking and eating some small community offering.

In studying the Old Testament tho we must search for the spiritual significance of the stories for looking at the surface gives one only a historical back ground and often causes fear when reading of the judgments. I have learned so much especially from Steven Jones website and that is what I believe brings me closer to the Father and Son and Holy Spirit than partaking of the physical communion service.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM

467 posts, read 467,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
  • Who/what is the inventor of what you call "communion"? Jesus
  • What are its necessary elements? Bread and Wine or Juice..atleast that what our church uses...and it must be taken with a clean heart, since the scriptures say to exam your heart before partaking in it.
  • How often must it be done? No set time, but our church does it every week
  • If you don't do it, does that mean you nave no communication with G-d? Is it a sin not to do it? I would think if you are saved, you would want to do it even if it is every once in a while.
  • Do you believe it to be salvific? I dont think communion can provide salvation since were doing it in remembrance of him
  • What, if anything, does it have to do with Passover in your tradition? I havent really celebrated passover yet.
SAAN I question your belief ..Your words!
Quote:
Do you believe it to be salvific? I dont think communion can provide salvation since were doing it in remembrance of him
I ask "DOING WHAT" in remembrance!!??

Luke 22:19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Again "What are you DOING in remembrance?"
I MUST POINT OUT.. The word "Remembrance" does not mean "SYMBOLIC" it means; "Call to mind!"

Call to mind my sacrifice, as you eat my LIVING FOREVER FLESH!

CHRISTIANS believe the scriptures, ALL the Early Church Father's are CHRISTIAN!

Ignatius of Antioch is CHRISTIAN!!
He tells you...
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

Ignatius of Antioch is NOT protestant, there was NO protestants for sixteen hundred years AFTER Jesus said.. "My flesh is real food, my Blood is real drink!"
Martin Luther even believed the Bread was the Flesh of Jesus!

Communion saves!!!
SAAN Rejecting communion as being only symbolic is rejecting the scriptures and the Early Church Father's!

Dogknox

Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
SAAN I question your belief ..Your words!
I ask "DOING WHAT" in remembrance!!??

Luke 22:19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Again "What are you DOING in remembrance?"
I MUST POINT OUT.. The word "Remembrance" does not mean "SYMBOLIC" it means; "Call to mind!"

Call to mind my sacrifice, as you eat my LIVING FOREVER FLESH!

CHRISTIANS believe the scriptures, ALL the Early Church Father's are CHRISTIAN!

Ignatius of Antioch is CHRISTIAN!!
He tells you...
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

Ignatius of Antioch is NOT protestant, there was NO protestants for sixteen hundred years AFTER Jesus said.. "My flesh is real food, my Blood is real drink!"
Martin Luther even believed the Bread was the Flesh of Jesus!

Communion saves!!!
SAAN Rejecting communion as being only symbolic is rejecting the scriptures and the Early Church Father's!

Dogknox
----------------------
I was at work and didnt recheck what i sent before i sen it. My point is that taking communion will not save you if that is what the question she was asking. I know alot of people that live the most wordly life styles and thinks everything is alright because they took communion the next day like it makes up for everything and still continue in there ways. So i dont reject communion and believe more churches should do it more often than once a month or once a yr. Like i said my church does it every week, so i have nothing against it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM

467 posts, read 467,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
----------------------
I was at work and didnt recheck what i sent before i sen it. My point is that taking communion will not save you if that is what the question she was asking. I know alot of people that live the most wordly life styles and thinks everything is alright because they took communion the next day like it makes up for everything and still continue in there ways. So i dont reject communion and believe more churches should do it more often than once a month or once a yr. Like i said my church does it every week, so i have nothing against it.
Hello SAAN I hope all is well..
Thank you for your reply.

I point out.. The Holy Catholic Church has been eating the "Unblemished Lamb" for the past two thousand years! The Lamb was slaughtered on preparation day (Thursday), the day they slaughter the unblemished Passover Lamb!

John 1:29
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

All who did not eat the first "unblemished lamb" in Egypt died!
SAAN You can't be in COMMUNION with God because; You reject it as being only symbolic!

SAAN The Corinthians are CHRISTIANS, they are NOT protestants!
They eat the Real Flesh of Jesus!

1 Corinthians 11:27
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

SAAN You CAN'T sin against a SYMBOL!!!

Revelation 5:6
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

All Passover Lambs MUST be eaten!!
You can't be saved by the Blood of Jesus because you reject it you refuse to drink it!

The Corinthians are CHRISTIANS, Christians DRINK the Blood!
All who DRINK the blood are saved! All who reject it as SYMBOLIC are sinning!!

Dogknox

Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
It has been interesting reading through some of this. I am curious:
  • Who/what is the inventor of what you call "communion"?
    • Jesus.. on the night he was betrayed
  • What are its necessary elements?
    • Bread \ wine in connection with God's Word
    • However there are circumstances that wine should not be administered nor does scripture specifically use the term "wine" but "fruit of the vine" nor unleaven bread. Jesus does not insist that we use the exact form he used.
  • How often must it be done?
    • as often as you partake
  • If you don't do it, does that mean you nave no communication with G-d? Is it a sin not to do it?
    • no and no
  • Do you believe it to be salvific?
    • Yes. "Given and shed for you for the remission of sins"
    • Remission means forgiveness. Where there is forgivesness of sins, there is also life and salvation.
  • What, if anything, does it have to do with Passover in your tradition?
    • Nothing, for it is part of the New Covenant that God said he will establish; for the old covenant given to OT Isreal is no longer in effect. (Jeremiah 31:31)
All my questions are asked because I don't know, not to start a mini-holy-war. I don't do communion, so I have no idea what is commonly believed
Commonly believed is that it's a meer representation, Jesus said.... "is". Represents does not means "is"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity