Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear your replies. Ephesians 6 is where you can find this verse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Stop depending upon your own strength.

God does not intend you to face your burdens or problems in your own limited understanding or your own strength. He planned and purposed for you to face every problem...every circumstance...every attack of the enemy in HIS UNLIMITED UNSURPASSED POWER !...and to be able to do that...We must put on God's complete armor !

Paul told the Ephesians, "...be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might" (Ephesians 6:10).

Everything Jesus did, He did in the strength and power of Almighty God. He did not depend upon his own strength...He always drew upon the almghty power of God within him...Jesus said, "...the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works" (John 14:10).

Only when one has repented of their sins and become born again by the Spirit of God, do they enter into a spiritual union with Christ in which they become ONE with Him. God the Father is in Jesus, Jesus is in the repented, born again, child of God...and the repented...born again...child of God is in Him. In this spiritual union with Him, all the fullness of the Godhead dwells within you.

God enables the repented...born again...child of God to be PERFECTED and FULLY EQUIPPED by the powerful weapons He has provided for us to wear...and they will enable us to grow and mature into the FULL STATURE of Jesus Christ as a strong spiritual warrior !.....

....11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4:11-16).

...blessings.

Love in Christ,
Verna.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
The armor is representative of aspects of truth.

For instance the helmet is the helmet of salvation. In other words, the evangel of our salvation is what protects our heads, our minds from the forces of darkness.

Our feet shod with the evangel of peace means where we go, we take the evangel of peace with us.

etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The answer is simple: Love. The Love of God and each other. Love is what moves mountains and heals the sick. Love makes the blind see and the deaf hear. Without Love, life would cease to exist as life is love in action.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
I believe the armor of God is mystical. I think that most pastors and priests miss this one and that it takes a Christian "mystic" which is really just a rare, prayerful person that's probably lived long enough and prayed a million times, to realize it.

The armor of God is like living in a bubble. Huh? It's simply having obeyed the "be still and know that I am God" command for so long that a christian is mostly not lost in thought and therefore "living in His presence."

I say this because I believe that we are in God's presence when we are not lost between our ears, meaning not absolutely "lost" in thought. It is no coincidence that the words "present" and "Presence" are so close to each other, per the Holy spirit.

In our minds we think either about the past, or the future. In between is where a person can strive to live and be in the present moment, often without a particular thought in mind....and THAT is being in His Presence.

So, putting on the armor of God, to me is stilling myself, mind and body and therefore putting myself in this place that's like living in a bubble.

Now, please know that I, personally am far from "having arrived." I would not dare to claim that I have the armor of God, per my belief about it, on fulltime.

This is why I sit, preferably more than once a day, in stillness, in the name of Jesus even as unworthy as I am.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Yes loins girted with the truth for your stand with the Lord Jesus on any evil day.....breastplate of righteousness from Jesus , and not of our own righteousness...feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, with a shield of peace, were we are able to spot all the pests that come your way with their fiery dark attacks, ....., and a helmet of salvation for a fortitude under the wing of the Lord ...., and sword of the spirit which is the Word of God and Jesus spirit knows the Word of God and all the promises of Christ....... These are metaphors but not conjecture of our position of Jesus grace , and promises .....

Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
It summarizes the things which are important in a the life of a Christian: Gospel or peace, faith, salvation, Holy Spirit, word of God, and righteousness. All these you need to stay strong in the Lord, and in our struggle (war) against the forces of evil.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The armor is representative of aspects of truth.

For instance the helmet is the helmet of salvation. In other words, the evangel of our salvation is what protects our heads, our minds from the forces of darkness.

Our feet shod with the evangel of peace means where we go, we take the evangel of peace with us.

etc.
Thanks for your explanation. I had heard the particular passage many times when I was a practicing Catholic, but never much in the way of explanation. I buy your argument, and it completes the rest of the passage, nay, provides the structure from which the rest of the passage hangs.

As an off topic aside, this is the passage that proves that the medieval poem Beowulf was written by someone familiar with the New Testament. Almost all Beowulf scholars say otherwise, and I am guessing almost all of them were unfamiliar with the Bible in any way. The description of Beowulf donning his armor to fight the evil, even diabolic Grendel, is stunning in its own right, but especially profound when one understands the kenning.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Ephesians 6

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

We need the whole armor, not just parts. The Armor is defense. There is only one offensive Spiritual warfare "weapon".

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

Christians have the truth. Authenticate who Jesus Christ was/is (300 + prophesies). He authenticates the whole package in the Scriptures. Understand apologetic to be able to give people the reason for the hope within us with meekness and fear of the Lord defending the faith. Defend against deception with the "whole council of God."

The breastplate of righteousness being both Jesus Christ in his righteousness for Salvation and our own righteousness walking in truth.

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Be prepared to present the good news of the Gospel - salvation by Grace through Faith (ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans 4,5). For people to understand the good news, they have to understand the bad news (ie the truth we are a condemned human race in need of redemption).

Christians are to bring peace between man and God through Jesus Christ, and then between each other.

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Believers are dependent upon the Holy Spirit to conquer the lusts of the flesh. Satan is the tempter. We are to walk in faith in temptation and trial. The Lord is our salvation, no matter how bad things look to be. Satan has no power over us, but we must act in faith praying and doing his will.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

The helmet of salvation is your eternal security by being Justified by Christ. When times are tough, The Father Lord God Jesus Christ is with you and will not abandon you! The great Shepard will NOT lose his sheep. No matter how many will want to put you under Religious bondage or condemn you, they can not touch your Salvation. So instead of falling away do to being discouraged, pick up the cross and preserver knowing that he does love you and has not abandoned you.

Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. The Scriptures say the "Whole Word of God."

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Our only weapon - Prayer. So so important. Our greatest evangelical resource is prayer. Jesus says the only ones that can come to him are the one's the Father draws to the Son. Jesus says we see because he's healed us giving us "eyes to see and ears to hear". We learn in 2 corinthians 4:4 that the unsaved are Spiritually blinded by Satan. There is a spiritual blindness.

We are in a spiritual war.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
A healthy mind, leads to a joyful heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity